Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 12-02-2020 01:17 PM

Back to the task at hand.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is shortening the recommended quarantine period from 14 days after a person has been exposed to the coronavirus, offering two alternatives, the agency said Wednesday.

The first alternative is to end quarantine after 10 days if no symptoms are reported, Dr. Henry Walke, the CDC’s Covid-19 incident manager, said on a call with reporters. The second option is to end quarantine after seven days if an individual tests negative and also reports no symptoms.

The decision is based on new research and modeling data, Walke said.

Still, Walke noted that a 14-day quarantine is still the best way to reduce the risk of spreading Covid-19.

The 14-day quarantine is based on the coronavirus's incubation period - the length of time it can take for a person to become infected after exposure to the virus.

Indeed, even with the shortened quarantine periods, Walke said that people should monitor for symptoms for a full 14 days after exposure.

Dcinmd 12-02-2020 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3664064)
having random strangers pre-chew my food, etc.

I might have to try this in the next decade instead of dentures. :)

txmxer 12-02-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664033)
I am not seeking nor enjoying the negative attention. I am also not trying to prove how tough or unafraid I am.

A few questions--yes/no is fine. Expand on it if you want to.

1) Are you any type of higher risk group?
2) Is anyone in your circle (family/friends/coworkers) that you spend time with at high risk? Meaning a parent/grandparent, or other elderly person or other comorbidities?
3) Have you had COVID 19? Tested positive? Recovered?
4) Do you know anyone personally that has had it and had complications?
5) Do you know people that have had it without serious issues?

For me:
1- yes, I have some comorbidity issues
2- not really. My circle is pretty small and I work from home
3- No. My wife works with children and has had a lot of exposure and gets tested regularly. My son is in 4th grade in public school. The school has had a few incidents, but is generally avoiding significant outbreaks through distancing and masks. We've been fortunate.
4- No confirmation. Close friend/coworker came back from Japan in February and was really sick for a month and several months to recover. He was not tested. I know several people that know someone that's died.
5- Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure it has happened since a lot of people have had it and not been seriously ill.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3664095)
A few questions--yes/no is fine. Expand on it if you want to.

1) Are you any type of higher risk group? No
2) Is anyone in your circle (family/friends/coworkers) that you spend time with at high risk? Meaning a parent/grandparent, or other elderly person or other comorbidities? Yes
3) Have you had COVID 19? No Tested positive? No Recovered? N/A
4) Do you know anyone personally that has had it and had complications? An old schoolmate has died from COVID
5) Do you know people that have had it without serious issues? Yes.

For me:
1- yes, I have some comorbidity issues
2- not really. My circle is pretty small and I work from home
3- No. My wife works with children and has had a lot of exposure and gets tested regularly. My son is in 4th grade in public school. The school has had a few incidents, but is generally avoiding significant outbreaks through distancing and masks. We've been fortunate.
4- No confirmation. Close friend/coworker came back from Japan in February and was really sick for a month and several months to recover. He was not tested. I know several people that know someone that's died.
5- Not that I'm aware of. I'm sure it has happened since a lot of people have had it and not been seriously ill.

Answers are above.

txmxer 12-02-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664096)
Answers are above.

thanks.

I think the point of all the comments above would be #2 then. Your choices could impact those folks.

Thoughts?

ru4por 12-02-2020 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3664097)
thanks.

I think the point of all the comments above would be #2 then. Your choices could impact those folks.

Thoughts?

Let's just move on. DD has provided us with his take, I don't see much reason to dedicate more of this thread to him.

Here is an interesting article on vaccinations to use as a science distraction. :D

https://www.poynter.org/reporting-ed...red-questions/

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 01:56 PM

Quote:

thanks.

Thoughts?

The person that I am talking about is my wife who is asthmatic and diabetic. She is also works in an Oncology office at the local hospital. She is pretty much in a danger zone on a daily basis. I on the other hand am retired and at home most of the time. Like I have said before, I dont go out intending to not mask up and socially distance myself. All I said was that I have gone into a Speedway for a cola a few times unmasked and realized it at the door and said, "to heck with it, I am going in anyway". Then everyone loses their minds.

BogeyNoMore 12-02-2020 01:59 PM

Science? Fake news!!!

My President doesn't believe all those scientists, so why should I???

*Sorry for the political digression... couldn't resist. :o

jakebake91 12-02-2020 02:13 PM

Quote:

thanks.

Thoughts?

We know his thoughts. He doesn't care. The thought of taking an extra 100 steps back to a vehicle is worse than potentially harming someone close to him.

dysmike 12-02-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3664068)
You kind of start these strings with your comments. Claiming those who disagree with you are doing it in "fear" is something that will always get replies.

I am sure you already know this but do it anyway.

That's because his views are the right views. He's smarter than everyone else on the planet (despite not being educated in these things).

Yarp. Just ignore the troll.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664102)
Here is an interesting article on vaccinations to use as a science distraction. :D

https://www.poynter.org/reporting-ed...red-questions/

Among the things I'm thankful for, is that I don't have to make decisions on vaccine priorities. There are good cases for a lot of different options, and there'll be a flood of legitimate complaints, no matter how well they do it.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dysmike (Post 3664124)
He's smarter than everyone else on the planet.

Hey, thanks buddy.

ru4por 12-02-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3664130)
Among the things I'm thankful for, is that I don't have to make decisions on vaccine priorities. There are good cases for a lot of different options, and there'll be a flood of legitimate complaints, no matter how well they do it.

Yup. Seems likely that many of the very folks denying the virus, will be the most vocal on their rights to the vaccine. :doh:

RowingBoats 12-02-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664104)
The person that I am talking about is my wife who is asthmatic and diabetic. She is also works in an Oncology office at the local hospital. She is pretty much in a danger zone on a daily basis. I on the other hand am retired and at home most of the time. Like I have said before, I dont go out intending to not mask up and socially distance myself. All I said was that I have gone into a Speedway for a cola a few times unmasked and realized it at the door and said, "to heck with it, I am going in anyway". Then everyone loses their minds.

So your wife works in a medical facility and is a high risk of contracting the virus, but you see no problem going un-masked in public, when the alternative is a 30 second walk back to your car?

I don't know what other conclusion other than the obvious one you expect people to draw.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664155)
Yup. Seems likely that many of the very folks denying the virus, will be the most vocal on their rights to the vaccine. :doh:

I wasn't really thinking about them. The more who decline, the quicker it gets to me.

I was just thinking of the chore of, effectively, triaging it. The workers on Covid floors are a no-brainer. But after that......how do you weigh whether to give it to the most vulnerable, or the most likely to spread the virus, or the most essential workers? There's no right answer. Or, there are multiple right answers: whoever you prioritize is the right choice, and at the same time, someone else is the right choice. (I don't even want to dive into what's an "essential" worker).

BogeyNoMore 12-02-2020 04:15 PM

David raises an excellent point. No matter how how it's prioritized, some group(s) will be on the outside looking in for quite a while. You can't blame those folks who have a legit reason to feel they're at risk because of their age, or the fact that they're job requires interaction with many people on a daily basis, (grocery store personnel for example), or whatever...

Until there's enough to go around, there's gonna be a while lot of, "Hey! What about us?!"

jakebake91 12-02-2020 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664155)

Oh I can't wait to call those @$$hats out.....

Hampstead 12-02-2020 05:39 PM

ru4por 12-02-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3664229)

That was a very conservative video for its time. :hfive:

Monocacy 12-02-2020 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3663857)
I just signed up tonight. Will post updates if/when I hear anything.

I signed up for the Pfizer trial, and received a reply stating that they would be in touch to explain the study and see if I was eligible.

So apparently trials are ongoing.

txmxer 12-02-2020 05:51 PM

Guys, don’t let perfection be the enemy of good. We had this a few pages back.

DD isn’t tipping off masks of strangers and coughing in someone’s face or promoting superspreader events.

I’m far from perfect in every way imaginable and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that.

ru4por 12-02-2020 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3664238)
Guys, donít let perfection be the enemy of good. We had this a few pages back.

DD isnít tipping off masks of strangers and coughing in someoneís face or promoting superspreader events.

Iím far from perfect in every way imaginable and Iím pretty sure Iím not alone in that.

Honestly, I am kind of over DD. This has been a pretty good, informational science thread, lets go ahead and focus on that vein of the pandemic here. :thmbup:

ru4por 12-02-2020 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3664237)
I signed up for the Pfizer trial, and received a reply stating that they would be in touch to explain the study and see if I was eligible.

So apparently trials are ongoing.

Did you just use the search functionality of the Pfizer site?

Hampstead 12-02-2020 06:08 PM

Quote:

Deaths in every state of the country are higher than they would be in a normal year, according to an analysis of estimates from the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

The data show how the coronavirus pandemic, which is peaking in many states, is bringing with it unusual patterns of death, higher than the official totals of deaths that have been directly linked to the virus.

Deaths nationwide were 19 percent higher than normal from March 15 to Nov. 14. Altogether, the analysis shows that 345,000 more people than normal have died in the United States during that period, a number that may be an undercount since recent death statistics are still being updated.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...h-toll-us.html

ru4por 12-02-2020 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3664254)

It should be even higher, given the low flu deaths compared to normal years.

txmxer 12-02-2020 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664263)
It should be even higher, given the low flu deaths compared to normal years.

Good info. Donít really want to NICE posts about higher death rates.

McCready 12-02-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowingBoats (Post 3664167)
So your wife works in a medical facility and is a high risk of contracting the virus, but you see no problem going un-masked in public, when the alternative is a 30 second walk back to your car?

I don't know what other conclusion other than the obvious one you expect people to draw.

LOL
You canít make it up.

RowingBoats 12-02-2020 07:31 PM

Quote:

Guys, don’t let perfection be the enemy of good. We had this a few pages back.

DD isn’t tipping off masks of strangers and coughing in someone’s face or promoting superspreader events.

I’m far from perfect in every way imaginable and I’m pretty sure I’m not alone in that.

Lowering the bar to "I can't be bothered to walk back to my car for a mask", is a really low ass bar.

Being far from perfect is fine. Going out at all for superfluous **** is enough to be 'far from perfect'. Getting out of a car without a mask is fine. Getting to the door, realizing it, and believing that walking back to your car is JUST TOO MUCH, what? Just really, WHAT?

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowingBoats (Post 3664167)

I don't know what other conclu other than the obvious one you expect people to draw.

No problem. Why? The three or so times it has happened it was pretty early in the morning. No one is there except the clerk. No big deal. I am in and out in a matter of minutes.

Monocacy 12-02-2020 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664252)
Did you just use the search functionality of the Pfizer site?

Used the link that McCready posted previously (thanks!). Punch in your zip code and it lists any nearby trials for multiple companies.

Quote:

Originally Posted by McCready (Post 3663827)
I signed up for the Moderna vaccine trial:
https://covidvaccinetrials.com/

ru4por 12-02-2020 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3664308)
Used the link that McCready posted previously (thanks!). Punch in your zip code and it lists any nearby trials for multiple companies.

Closest is in Cincy....254 miles away. Hmmmmm.....Idlewyld, Mt Airy, Lincoln Ridge??

Innova63 12-02-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664312)
Closest is in Cincy....254 miles away. Hmmmmm.....Idlewyld, Mt Airy, Lincoln Ridge??

My thinking exactly...except 380 miles...

Monocacy 12-02-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664312)

Don't forget Osage Grove. :D

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 09:30 PM

Stonelick is 10 minutes from Osage and just as nice. Lots of new things happening here.

Hampstead 12-02-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3664334)
Stonelick is 10 minutes from Osage and just as nice. Lots of new things happening here.

I haven't played either one. Looks like a Cincy trip is in the cards for next spring.

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3664342)
I haven't played either one. Looks like a Cincy trip is in the cards for next spring.

If you camp Stonelick has camping. You won't be disappointed in either course. Williamsburg is another on the east side you could hit up if you want to add courses.

All these places follow guide lines. (my on topic part)

hiflyer 12-03-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcinmd (Post 3659376)
Covid does not care about political party, race, religion or how much one earns in a year.

Covid can not be bullied, payoff or slandered.

Covid for prez, 2024? :-/ :-P

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3661231)
I like the masks because it obscures the uggos and adds a bit of sexy mystery to the ones that are cute around the mask.

Major ditto. Sometimes the masks just make the eyes even more seductive. Like this one girl at the... Nevermind.
She doesn't even wear much makeup.

Quote:

Iím far from perfect in every way imaginable and Iím pretty sure Iím not alone in that.

<sarcastic_quote, src="anon">
If practice makes perfect, and nobody is perfect,
then why practice?

</sarcastic_quote>

I forgot my mask once, going to 7-11. Completely slipped my mind. Got back to the truck, saw my mask on the console, and my heart sank. I felt like a complete jackalope. Only a couple others there, but I wish someone would have said something. I'm not high risk myself, nor do I live with anyone that is, but darned if I didn't feel so small after that.

Discraft Dad 12-03-2020 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowingBoats (Post 3664290)
Lowering the bar to "I can't be bothered to walk back to my car for a mask", is a really low ass bar.

Being far from perfect is fine. Going out at all for superfluous **** is enough to be 'far from perfect'. Getting out of a car without a mask is fine. Getting to the door, realizing it, and believing that walking back to your car is JUST TOO MUCH, what? Just really, WHAT?

I will throw some of the blame at the business. If they had or enforced a mask policy then I would have no choice but to walk back to my car. A couple of times of that happening would help me remember to take it with me.

Jay Dub 12-03-2020 09:13 AM

I ran over an old lady once. Not my fault she was in the cross walk.

Discraft Dad 12-03-2020 09:20 AM

I see now. Its not the fact that I didn't wear a mask a few times, it's that I refuse to beat myself up over it. Well don't hold your breath cuz it ain't happening. I kind of laugh to myself at all the "holier than thou" vibes I get from some of you.