Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Discraft Dad 12-03-2020 01:46 PM

What is up with you? Making guesses at my name in hopes of me giving up my given name?

txmxer 12-03-2020 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664475)
Vitamin D seems to be getting even more attention than it has in the past months. Anyone have some insight into the current treatment therapies seen for COVID patients? Not being currently at bedside, I don't really have much of an idea if Vitamin D in higher doses is part of it. I will try to take a look as some papers today.

A good friend has it--he's been the hospital a couple of weeks. He a heart valve, so serious comorbidity issue. I was texting him today--it's a bit mixed up. What I can say for certain is they gave him Remdisivir and he wrote barcitinib as an anti-inflammatory. I don't know what he meant to write. It's pretty close--google says baricitinib. Said it causes blood clots, but he was already on blood thinners, so he could take it no problem.

No hydroxychloroquine.

Says breathing is the tough thing. Has to supplement O2 some. Keeping the lungs clear is the biggest thing for most patients and likely the thing that kills people.

Typical lots of fluids and calories if you can handle it.

That's what they are doing today for my friend. He says he's feeling better. Hopes to go home next week, then a week of bed rest at home and hopefully back on his feet.

txmxer 12-03-2020 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3664481)
I am. I'm easily pre-occupied.

Last week I wore a mask into a convenience store, drove a block away to the grocery, and nearly walked in maskless. I'd just been wearing it 2 minutes prior. Already, I'd forgotten.

The distinction, of course, that as soon as I saw someone in a mask, I remembered, and retreated to my car to retrieve mine.

I was shopping at WalMart--needed insulin needles for my cat, they were out. Finished filling my cart, checked out and left WalMart and immediately stopped at the WalGreens a block away to get the needles. Jumped out of the truck, walked in the door of WalGreens, looked at the teller and saw she had on a mask--oh--pivoted, back to truck, grabbed mask and went back in to the store.

It happens.

Brodysseus 12-03-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3664559)
Okay, Dan.

What's the male version of Karen?

etdefender19 12-03-2020 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3664575)
I was shopping at WalMart--needed insulin needles for my cat, they were out. Finished filling my cart, checked out and left WalMart and immediately stopped at the WalGreens a block away to get the needles. Jumped out of the truck, walked in the door of WalGreens, looked at the teller and saw she had on a mask--oh--pivoted, back to truck, grabbed mask and went back in to the store.

It happens.

That's what normal people do in that situation.

roggenb3 12-03-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodysseus (Post 3664611)

I think it's just Karen.

Though I have heard Ken.

And a Google search of that question tells me the name Terry has followed nearly the exact same popularity curve as Karen since 1950, so it is the logical choice.

I like it.

Shut up, Terry.

uncle pennybags 12-03-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664475)
Vitamin D seems to be getting even more attention than it has in the past months. Anyone have some insight into the current treatment therapies seen for COVID patients? Not being currently at bedside, I don't really have much of an idea if Vitamin D in higher doses is part of it. I will try to take a look as some papers today.

For me it was Vitaman C and Zinc. And a bunch of other drugs, never heard anything about D though.

Riverdog 12-03-2020 04:25 PM

I've always been partial to, "Shut the eff up Donnie."[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discraft Dad 12-03-2020 04:29 PM

I have heard the equivalent was Ken or Kenny.

Innova63 12-03-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664637)
I have heard the equivalent was Ken or Kenny.

Thanks, Kenny...

Innova63 12-03-2020 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3664613)
That's what normal people do in that situation.

Normal, caring, responsible people do in that situation.

txmxer 12-03-2020 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Innova63 (Post 3664649)
Thanks, Kenny...

You bastard!

Sorry—they killed Kenny, you bastard!

ru4por 12-03-2020 05:03 PM

I think we have DD figured out pretty well. I keep hoping we can keep this thread on a bit of a higher plane. For education and exchange of reasonably intelligent science discussion. We all have deniers and skeptics in our lives. DD has clearly stated his platform and I think we should just move along. So far, he is only one of a few posters, that have had no real intelligent input into this discussion. Like those we meet in real life, you attempt to educate and help, then dismiss.

Keeping the discussion away from the anti vaxxer platform, are there those of us that have reservations about taking the vaccine?
I think, given the speed of development and approval, concern is appropriate. Is that concern enough to any to take a wait and see approach?

txmxer 12-03-2020 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncle pennybags (Post 3664627)
For me it was Vitaman C and Zinc. And a bunch of other drugs, never heard anything about D though.

Iíve heard that zinc is anti microbial.

Obviously vitamin c is important for a lot of reasonsónot sure how it actually impacts viruses.

D is getting a lot of press for energy and particularly in winter with less sun time.

Those canít hurt.

Even mouthwash is supposed to help kill the viruses that are in the throat/mouth.

Innova63 12-03-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3664655)
I think we have DD figured out pretty well. I keep hoping we can keep this thread on a bit of a higher plane. For education and exchange of reasonably intelligent science discussion. We all have deniers and skeptics in our lives. DD has clearly stated his platform and I think we should just move along. So far, he is only one of a few posters, that have had no real intelligent input into this discussion. Like those we meet in real life, you attempt to educate and help, then dismiss.

Keeping the discussion away from the anti vaxxer platform, are there those of us that have reservations about taking the vaccine?
I think, given the speed of development and approval, concern is appropriate. Is that concern enough to any to take a wait and see approach?

Apologies to you ru4por,
You are correct and doing a nice job on keeping this thread on the correct tracks.

McCready 12-03-2020 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodysseus (Post 3664611)

Shut it down, this wins the thread. LMAO

Monocacy 12-03-2020 05:37 PM

Quote:

For me, the risk of COVID-19 clearly outweighs the risk from either of the mRNA vaccines (Moderna and Pfizer). Spousal unit volunteered for the Moderna Phase 3 trial and almost certainly received the vaccine, and I have volunteered (but not yet been accepted) for the Pfizer vaccine trial.

The Astra Zeneca vaccine situation is a bit less clear. I would expect them to at least partly redo their trial to resolve the question of most effective dosing regimen for the first shot (half dose vs. whole dose).

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3664656)
[Vitamin] D is getting a lot of press for energy and particularly in winter with less sun time.

There have been a few studies showing correlation between low vitamin D and more severe COVID-19 outcomes, but those results may reflect correlation rather than causation:
In addition, vitamin D deficiency is common in the United States, particularly among Hispanic and Black people. These groups have been disproportionately affected by COVID-19. Vitamin D deficiency is also more common in people who are older, people who have a body mass index of 30 or higher (obesity), and people who have high blood pressure (hypertension). These factors also increase the risk of severe COVID-19 symptoms.
Can vitamin D protect against COVID-19? | Mayo Clinic (clicky)

But hey, taking a little extra vitamin D is unlikely to do harm, especially during the winter.

BogeyNoMore 12-03-2020 06:12 PM

Genuinely appreciate all who've contributed so meaningfully to this thread. Lots of great info, insight, and links.

But I have to say, Monocacy's has truly shined in this thread.

Hampstead 12-03-2020 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3664561)
What is up with you? Making guesses at my name in hopes of me giving up my given name?

Those weren't "guesses".

McCready 12-03-2020 06:39 PM

Quote:

I feel like Iíve been overly cautious with limiting social contact since March, and while the unprecedented speed of the vaccinesí development might be a genuine cause for concern, Iím getting the jab as soon as I possibly can.

I see it like this ó I have two risks to weigh:

1. Contract Covid. I see many people minimizing the risks, but itís impossible to know what YOUR risk is. You could have no symptoms, or a bad flu-like illness that goes away with no lingering issues, or a nightmarish month in the ICU and debilitating lung/brain/liver damage and PTSD for the next decade or three. If the risk of a really bad outcome is greater than zero, the logical thing (for me) is to assume the risk is high. Others take the less cautious approach and dress it up as bravery or embracing American liberty. Whatever. You look like an idiot to me, sorry. If you roll the dice and get snake eyes, itís not like losing a bet, ruining a relationship or losing a job. Your health is precious and your lifespan is finite. I take that seriously.

2. Get the vaccine and deal with unknown hidden long-term risks. From what Iíve read about how the vaccines work, not only is the risk minimal, but the mechanism of action is revolutionary. Youíre injected with mRNA molecules that instruct your body to manufacture proteins similar to the Covid virus, and this activates your immune system to make antibodies. This stuff is cutting edge, along the same lines as the gene therapies for cancer and other diseases that are being developed. Sickle cell anemia now has a cure thanks to this technology. I donít buy into the conspiracy nonsense, so I believe the results currently being published showing no major side effects. As depressing as I find our politics and other aspects of modern life, this is a chance to be part of something really big and inspiring.

So clearly I see option 2 as much less risky than option 1. But I could be wrong and the vaccine could turn me into a drooling vegetable or I could drop dead. I could get hit by a bus tomorrow too. I want to see my family and friends and feel normal again. The vaccines look like the surest path to get there.

txmxer 12-03-2020 06:39 PM

My son tested negative.

Just allergies/drainage stuff I guess.

Thanks for the well wishes.

DavidSauls 12-03-2020 07:04 PM

Quote:

I'm pretty much the same as Monocracy & McCready.

I have reservations about the vaccine -- the novelty of mRNA, the newness, the rush.

But I have reservations every time my doctor gives me a prescription, and I read the possible side effects. And when I've had elective surgery and signed those waivers.

I'm an old baseball coach, and know how to go with the odds, and the odds look much better with the vaccine than the virus. I'll have a little trepidation that I'm the one who catches the short odds, but not enough to miss my chance.

Hampstead 12-03-2020 07:09 PM

Naturally, I have concerns about a new vaccine. But, I'm not in the first few tiers of who should get it, so hopefully my concerns will be put to rest by the time I'm in line for my shot.

Discraft Dad 12-03-2020 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3664620)
I think it's just Karen.

Though I have heard Ken.

And a Google search of that question tells me the name Terry has followed nearly the exact same popularity curve as Karen since 1950, so it is the logical choice.

I like it.

Shut up, Terry.

This is what I think of when I hear the name Terry.

Discraft Dad 12-03-2020 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3664687)
Those weren't "guesses".

I think you need help, seriously.

McCready 12-03-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3664697)

I have reservations about the vaccine -- the novelty of mRNA, the newness, the rush.

But I have reservations every time my doctor gives me a prescription, and I read the possible side effects. And when I've had elective surgery and signed those waivers.

I'm an old baseball coach, and know how to go with the odds, and the odds look much better with the vaccine than the virus. I'll have a little trepidation that I'm the one who catches the short odds, but not enough to miss my chance.

Very much agree with the bolded. I suspect there are lots of drugs still approved & being prescribed every day that cause all kinds of harm. I had an experience with antibiotics that was pretty scary, which led me down some Internet rabbit holes that scared the living **** out of me. Itís difficult to sort through the facts & conspiracy nonsense, but Iím convinced we have some kind of weird Faustian bargain happening with some approved drugs out there. Nonetheless I have close to zero trepidation with getting a Covid vaccine.

I donít think weíre going to see as much resistance to these vaccines as is being predicted. A lot of the political nuttiness that gets propagated on social media is just a couple dozen idiots carrying signs and screaming their insanity. It attracts lots of engagement but isnít an accurate representation of society. I predict weíre into full herd immunity by summer, and Iím going to go broke again just from concerts. :D

BogeyNoMore 12-03-2020 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3664697)

...and I make 4 of a kind. I'll gladly take my chances with the vaccine over my chances without it.

ThrowaEnvy 12-03-2020 08:23 PM

This is all bull ****. CoVid isn't a China virus it was engineered and released by the people at Amazon so they can take over the world, but first they need your money!

Think about it! You know I'm right!

Brodysseus 12-03-2020 08:50 PM

I'm in the take the vaccine as soon as it's available to me group.

I make risk based decisions for a living. This is a no brainer.

etdefender19 12-03-2020 11:23 PM

My boss is amongst those in the state pushing for public defenders to be in one of the early vaccine groups because of our close and frequent contact with inmates (and the jails and prisons have been Covid hotbeds here).

I’ll be one of the first in line. My current assignment is mental health courts, which are busy and populated with people whose usual inability to follow society’s rules and norms is very compromised and definitely carries over to mask wearing ability. I had 50 clients on my calendar this morning (about 2/3 in custody). If 20 of them wore their mask properly the entire calendar, I’d be shocked

teemkey 12-03-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3664667)
The Astra Zeneca vaccine situation is a bit less clear. I would expect them to at least partly redo their trial to resolve the question of most effective dosing regimen for the first shot (half dose vs. whole dose).

COVID-19 vaccine trial recruits Portland metro area residents

Quote:

Oregon Health & Science University is seeking Portland-area residents to participate in a research study evaluating a potential COVID-19 vaccine.

OHSU is the only Oregon institution involved in a Phase 3 clinical trial evaluating the novel coronavirus vaccine candidate developed by Oxford University and the pharmaceutical company AstraZeneca. The trial seeks to enroll a total of 30,000 participants nationwide to evaluate the safety and effectiveness of the investigational vaccine known as AZD1222. The experimental vaccine is designed to be given in two injections that are administered about four weeks apart.

Portland-area adults interested in enrolling in the trial should go to www.c19vaccinestudy.com or call 888-VAC-STDY (888-822-7839) for more information. Trial participants must be 18 or older, not be pregnant, have either stable medical conditions or no medical issues, have not been previously diagnosed with COVID-19, and should live within approximately 1.5 hours of OHSUís Marquam Hill/South Waterfront campus in Portland, among other criteria. Participants will be monitored for two years.

disco40 12-04-2020 12:05 AM

Kenneth, who refuses to be called Ken or Kenny. Kenneth is the male Karen, imo.

disco40 12-04-2020 12:15 AM

My new boss may have been positive when she interviewed me recently. I'll forgive her for obvious reasons, but it was a small side office with no airflow. I've been pretty lucky to dodge this thing after a parent I was definitely exposed to (which I was tested for), and a couple of close coworkers in addition to my boss all came down with it. I'd like to get an antibody test anyway, as it's possible I was asymptomatic, but the local testing resources are scarce and could probably be better used on others.

At my workplace, about 7% have tested positive in the last month, and north of 10% overall (ballpark because of turnover) in the workplace have gotten it this year. I don't know how that compares to other workplaces, but it feels like it's way too high right now. Most seem to be college students, though. We're pretty careful at work.

JedV 12-04-2020 12:16 AM

Richard works.

There's a bumper sticker saying something along the lines of "My boss hates it when I call him Dick. Especially since his name is Steve".

Monocacy 12-04-2020 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by disco40 (Post 3664795)
At my workplace, about 7% have tested positive in the last month, and north of 10% overall (ballpark because of turnover) in the workplace have gotten it this year. I don't know how that compares to other workplaces, but it feels like it's way too high right now. Most seem to be college students, though. We're pretty careful at work.

10% infected this year is not unprecedented, but 7% in a month seems crazy-high. Do you mind me asking what kind of workplace, and what precautions folks are taking (masks, distancing, staying home when sick, etc.)?

CDC data shows 463 cases per 100K people in the last 7 days in your area (0.46% per week) which is worrisome but still way less than the 7% per month.

txmxer 12-04-2020 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3664780)
My boss is amongst those in the state pushing for public defenders to be in one of the early vaccine groups because of our close and frequent contact with inmates (and the jails and prisons have been Covid hotbeds here).

Iíll be one of the first in line. My current assignment is mental health courts, which are busy and populated with people whose usual inability to follow societyís rules and norms is very compromised and definitely carries over to mask wearing ability. I had 50 clients on my calendar this morning (about 2/3 in custody). If 20 of them wore their mask properly the entire calendar, Iíd be shocked

I have no issue with this.

oldmandiscer 12-04-2020 05:54 AM

Killing people is so funny according to the Simpsons. Was this a planned prediction? I wouldn't put it past the evil psychopaths in charge.

DavidSauls 12-04-2020 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3664780)

Iíll be one of the first in line. My current assignment is mental health courts, which are busy and populated with people whose usual inability to follow societyís rules and norms is very compromised and definitely carries over to mask wearing ability. I had 50 clients on my calendar this morning (about 2/3 in custody). If 20 of them wore their mask properly the entire calendar, Iíd be shocked

There's going to be quite a scramble for the label "essential workers", when the process reaches that stage.

BogeyNoMore 12-04-2020 07:17 AM

I better resolve myself to being last in line...
At least I can work from home.

Jay Dub 12-04-2020 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3664829)
I better resolve myself to being last in line...
At least I can work from home.

I'll stand 6ft behind you.