Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Michigan New Course Updates (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059)

ru4por 04-16-2022 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 3803593)
Anyone know anything about this course?

The Runway DGC
https://maps.app.goo.gl/UYGgGtv7S2RVSPft6

Was there any particular info you are looking for?

https://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/The_Runway_DGC

MI Hyzer Phlip 04-16-2022 02:29 PM

So yeah, a newer Eric McCabe designed course. The big sell for me here was the long and short both tee pads, and baskets. It makes for 4 vastly different rounds, as some of distance differences can be substantial. Veteran baskets and very nice pads. I would steer towards a shorter layout as the course is fresh. A whole lotta golf out there though!

glassila 04-17-2022 05:02 PM

Dang it! I drove through here this morning and definitely would have stopped to play if I knew it was there. :wall:
I ended up playing the Vines DGC which is a few miles up the road.
Runway is not listed on this site. :mad:
I just checked and it's listed on UDisc.

apdrvya 04-19-2022 09:17 AM

yeah, my question was more related to if anyone was going to add but I certainly can...

BogeyNoMore 04-19-2022 09:23 AM

FWIW- just speaking for myseIf, I don't add courses until/unless I have 1st hand knowledge of them.

glassila 05-19-2022 09:09 AM

Ingham County is putting in an 18 hole course near Lake Lansing. It will be at the North park, not the popular South park.
The article says it will be designed by a PDGA designer from Georgia and they are spending $50,000. :clap:
I haven't seen any info indicating when the course will be opening, but my daughter said she saw signs that said "disc golf course coming soon" so I'm guessing sometime this summer.:popcorn:
http://www.homtv.net/index_homtv.asp...&news_id=11542

apparition 06-06-2022 11:08 PM

Hi all! Been a while since I’ve been on here. Moved back to Bay City area. Still haven’t bagged an ace. Wish Bay City would get a ****in course already.

ejvogie 06-07-2022 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassila (Post 3810034)
Ingham County is putting in an 18 hole course near Lake Lansing. It will be at the North park, not the popular South park.
The article says it will be designed by a PDGA designer from Georgia and they are spending $50,000. :clap:
I haven't seen any info indicating when the course will be opening, but my daughter said she saw signs that said "disc golf course coming soon" so I'm guessing sometime this summer.:popcorn:

I have friends on that lake :popcorn:

BogeyNoMore 06-07-2022 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glassila (Post 3810034)

Seems like a good lactation in that there really aren't any other courses on that side of town.

ru4por 06-07-2022 09:39 PM

Heard talk of a Goldenrod redesign and pad installation. Along with high hopes for the new course discussed below.

BogeyNoMore 06-07-2022 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3814266)
Seems like a good lactation in that there really aren't any other courses on that side of town.

Meant to say "location" not "lactation...lol :o

But....

Gven the shortage of baby formula, a course with good lactation might be just what people need. :thmbup:

wolfhaley 06-08-2022 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3814269)
Meant to say "location" not "lactation...lol :o

But....

Gven the shortage of baby formula, a course with good lactation might be just what people need. :thmbup:

You gotta milk that typo for all you can, well played. It'd be an udder shame if you didn't.

ru4por 06-11-2022 10:22 AM

A post in a different thread from edmunder.

Quote:

Beauty took some serious wind damage and the baskets will be put back up next week, with new tee pads going in before States.

Leviathan is still getting some more work. Needs new signage and 4-5 tee pads which arent right, 1 in the shorts, a few in the longs. Leviathan Longs is still an awesome, really challenging course. My favorite around for best shot doubles.

Whiskey will be taken out after this summer. The camp ground that owns it doesnt feel it makes them any money compared to the upkeep and hassle. Bummer.

Labyrinth at West Shore Community College wasnt listed. Its my favorite place to play around here. Its not difficult, but its a really beautiful property with rolling, grassy hills and 5-6 wooded holes. Perfect course. Longs tee pads if you want it harder.

DFrah 06-11-2022 02:06 PM

If true, very sad to hear about Whiskey! But glad to hear about the work being put into the others. Was going to play Labyrinth last month, but didn't end up making it there. I plan on hitting all of the courses mentioned above this summer.

BogeyNoMore 06-11-2022 10:22 PM

Really is a shame about Whiskey, because it's the type of course that area doesn't have, with almost ski hill like elevation.

Really is a wonderful course, but it doesn't surprise me the owner is making a business decision to pull it. And IIRC, there was a big dust up between the owner and TD for Michigan State's a few years back.

davetherocketguy 06-12-2022 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3815256)
And IIRC, there was a big dust up between the owner and TD for Michigan State's a few years back.

Sadly, I am not surprised.

1-UP 06-22-2022 09:31 PM

Kimball Pines near Battle Creek has had its back 9 installed and is now once again an 18 hole course.

Please note that the back 9 is still rough and things like signage, tee pad repair for 14, and general brush removal are ongoing. Should look dang good by the end of summer, but it is very playable now.

ru4por 06-22-2022 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-UP (Post 3817774)
Kimball Pines near Battle Creek has had its back 9 installed and is now once again an 18 hole course.

Please note that the back 9 is still rough and things like signage, tee pad repair for 14, and general brush removal are ongoing. Should look dang good by the end of summer, but it is very playable now.

Terrific news!! It was very large loss in the Battle Creek disc golf scene. :clap::clap:

elmexdela 06-22-2022 10:39 PM

im going to be hitting up lp michigan in a week or so and hugging the left of the lp (east coast of lake michigan)

flip is an obvious and some mason county courses too

anyone have any recs for the most wooded and hilly courses around there

really mean truly wooded/dense/unfair courses that have tighest technical lines are my favorite and elevation adds in extra beauty to the mix

for other **** to do around there i was thinking maybe peepin sleeping bear national lake shore

anything else i should look for

i will be hiking and backpacking a ton too while im not playing the dg courses

1-UP 06-22-2022 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3817787)
im going to be hitting up lp michigan in a week or so and hugging the left of the lp (east coast of lake michigan)

really mean truly wooded/dense/unfair courses that have tighest technical lines are my favorite and elevation adds in extra beauty to the mix

for other **** to do around there i was thinking maybe peepin sleeping bear national lake shore

Leila Arboretum in Battle Creek is a beating. Not sure I have ever played a more difficult course.

elmexdela 06-22-2022 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-UP (Post 3817789)
Leila Arboretum in Battle Creek is a beating. Not sure I have ever played a more difficult course.

i like the sounds of that

BogeyNoMore 06-22-2022 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-UP (Post 3817789)

I'll attest to this.

elmexdela 06-22-2022 11:05 PM

back 9 looks a little concerning of how open it is tho

wolfhaley 06-22-2022 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3817790)
i like the sounds of that

Don't miss Mt. McSauba.

davetherocketguy 06-23-2022 06:00 AM

Quote:

Lake Arvista Championship Tees if you want brutal. Not tightly wooded but super super long and difficult.

Bunsel 06-23-2022 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3817799)
Don't miss Mt. McSauba.

My local course, if you make it to Charlevoix, hit me up and I will play a round with you!

klodkrawler05 06-23-2022 07:31 AM

Quote:

Don't miss Mt. McSauba.

One of my wifes favorites (she doesn't play but tags along for the nature bit) it's a hiking trail that someone sprinkled a disc golf course into.

regarding your original question: Leprechaun Hollows is the course you're looking for. 300' tunnels 5' wide, first available's sprinkled far enough from the teepad to avoid getting hit with your swing, but close enough to make you question why you didn't just putt off the tee to get into the "open" part of the fairways. But you'll have one good shot perfectly through a gap or down a fairway that'll have you thinking about when you can go visit again.

Then after that beating you can wander over to the breakers and play a more average wooded course to get a reprieve.

mojorooks 06-23-2022 07:40 AM

Quote:

Sounds like you would like Leprechaun Hollows. It isn't listed on DGCR but its on Udisc and Discgolfscene. If you go as far as Holland, its only open on Thursdays for league. $5 drop-in.

1-UP 06-23-2022 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3817793)
back 9 looks a little concerning of how open it is tho

At Leila? There's one open bomber hole off a hill. The one after that looks open but has a nasty ceiling - think it's meant to be a roller hole. I guess 4 is kind of open but it's hard to hit a spot for a 2nd drive worth a darn. 15 is open as well I suppose.

Trust me, it's nasty.

elmexdela 06-23-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3817813)
Lake Arvista Championship Tees if you want brutal. Not tightly wooded but super super long and difficult.

i got this on the wish list i will probably play mids there if they have em

elmexdela 06-23-2022 09:20 AM

Quote:

Don't miss Mt. McSauba.

its wishlisted

elmexdela 06-23-2022 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojorooks (Post 3817826)
Sounds like you would like Leprechaun Hollows. It isn't listed on DGCR but its on Udisc and Discgolfscene. If you go as far as Holland, its only open on Thursdays for league. $5 drop-in.

that sounds amazing but yah tbh league will put a halt to my course baggin priorities if it was open on all the time i would hit it up

elmexdela 06-23-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-UP (Post 3817840)
At Leila? There's one open bomber hole off a hill. The one after that looks open but has a nasty ceiling - think it's meant to be a roller hole. I guess 4 is kind of open but it's hard to hit a spot for a 2nd drive worth a darn. 15 is open as well I suppose.

Trust me, it's nasty.

are the pics up to date on here

2 11 12 15 look open

or should i check pics on udisc

i have no problem going out of my way if it means guaranteed great dg

DFrah 06-23-2022 09:49 AM

Quote:

Welcome. :D

Direct answers to your question:
- Branstrom Park in Fremont is a bit off the beaten path, but overall fun and it largely plays that way from what I remember.
- I don't know how far you are willing to venture inland, but a couple of other hilly and technical (often tight) courses I like are Tower Park in Greenville, Ionia State Rec. Area (need MI state park pass for this one), and even Johnson Park in Grand Rapids.

My other picks near lakeshore:
- Hickory Hills in Traverse City has 2 courses. There used to be one 24-hole layout that was really good. First course I ever played. Very technical course with lots of elevation. For the last few years they have been trying to redo it as two 18-hole layouts. I got some intel that they might be done as of a few weeks ago, but haven't been up there yet to investigate. Currently showing as one 18-hole layout here.
- Mason County Park Beauty/Beast of course. Don't miss Whiskey Hills southeast of Ludington either. Very underrated course, that might be RIP'ed after this summer. :(
- McGraft Park in Muskegon has a lot of character for an urban park course.
- Shore Acres in Saugatuck is nice, although the signage is frustrating.

For non disc golf, Sleeping Bear is great. Curious what other hiking you are planning on?

ru4por 06-23-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3817868)

- Branstrom Park in Fremont is a bit off the beaten path, but overall fun and it largely plays that way from what I remember.
- I don't know how far you are willing to venture inland, but a couple of other hilly and technical (often tight) courses I like are Tower Park in Greenville, Ionia State Rec. Area (need MI state park pass for this one), and even Johnson Park in Grand Rapids.

- Hickory Hills in Traverse City has 2 courses. There used to be one 24-hole layout that was really good. First course I ever played. Very technical course with lots of elevation. For the last few years they have been trying to redo it as two 18-hole layouts. I got some intel that they might be done as of a few weeks ago, but haven't been up there yet to investigate. Currently showing as one 18-hole layout here.
- Mason County Park Beauty/Beast of course. Don't miss Whiskey Hills southeast of Ludington either. Very underrated course, that might be RIP'ed after this summer. :(

For non disc golf, Sleeping Bear is great. Curious what other hiking you are planning on?

This is pretty sound advice. :thmbup:

Interesting news on Hickory Hills. I was up there this fall and it did not look like the second 18 was getting close. I have a fall trip planned for "up North", guess I will have to put her on my list too.

1-UP 06-23-2022 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3817858)
are the pics up to date on here

2 11 12 15 look open

or should i check pics on udisc

i have no problem going out of my way if it means guaranteed great dg

2 is open for the first 200' or so, but then it goes left up the hill into the woods. It's extremely difficult to thread a shot up there for a bird. It's usually a bogie hole because of how challenging it is to land the first drive for a good approach - you go left or right and you have no shot.

11 is the open bomber hole. It's fun.

12 is the roller hole - when the leaves are in there isn't much of an airway, and the elevation changes exasperate the issue. It's not visible, but the pin is on a hill past those trees.

15 is indeed a field shot. Forgot about that one.

Worse comes to worst, there are another 7 courses within a 15 minute drive. Cold Brook is very wooded as well, though the holes are shorter so it's not as unreasonable as Leila. Leila longs make golfers cry.

elmexdela 06-23-2022 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1-UP (Post 3817886)
2 is open for the first 200' or so, but then it goes left up the hill into the woods. It's extremely difficult to thread a shot up there for a bird. It's usually a bogie hole because of how challenging it is to land the first drive for a good approach - you go left or right and you have no shot.

11 is the open bomber hole. It's fun.

12 is the roller hole - when the leaves are in there isn't much of an airway, and the elevation changes exasperate the issue. It's not visible, but the pin is on a hill past those trees.

15 is indeed a field shot. Forgot about that one.

Worse comes to worst, there are another 7 courses within a 15 minute drive. Cold Brook is very wooded as well, though the holes are shorter so it's not as unreasonable as Leila. Leila longs make golfers cry.

your last line convinced me i enjoy a great ass kicking course

elmexdela 06-23-2022 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3817868)

f yah thank you so much

i added all to my wish list besides the one you have to pay for

well i have no camping reservations i was going to figure out the national forest situation and hope i can do some backpacking camping (i have all ultralight gear but i would like most of my time for course bagging and i hate paying for camping) or worst comes to worst just sleep in my car i planned on staying at a combination of manistee and huron and hiawatha and ottawa (yes this is a dumb plan but i like adventure)

i just saw sleeping bear on the map i have no actual plans to do any other hikes or stops i was just goin to see whats in the area/time for

so i am open to any recs on hiking/exploring spots

i have been to pictured rocks during winter in the up and loved that i also stayed in marquette and did some hiking around there and loved some of the mountain overlooks and random waterfalls/streams that were hidden in the up

DFrah 06-23-2022 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3817871)
This is pretty sound advice. :thmbup:

Interesting news on Hickory Hills. I was up there this fall and it did not look like the second 18 was getting close. I have a fall trip planned for "up North", guess I will have to put her on my list too.

Interesting. The layout I played when I last visited (May 2021 I believe) was still pretty good, but had a ridiculous walk near the end of the round and overall was a disappointment after having played the original 24 as a kid. It also lacked the top-of-the-world hole, which I assumed was going into that second 18.

This is current, I think? So maybe what I actually read was that they are done re-re-laying out the one side. :wall: https://www.traversecitymi.gov/gover...disc-golf.html

DFrah 06-23-2022 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3817905)
f yah thank you so much

i added all to my wish list besides the one you have to pay for

well i have no camping reservations i was going to figure out the national forest situation and hope i can do some backpacking camping (i have all ultralight gear but i would like most of my time for course bagging and i hate paying for camping) or worst comes to worst just sleep in my car i planned on staying at a combination of manistee and huron and hiawatha and ottawa (yes this is a dumb plan but i like adventure)

i just saw sleeping bear on the map i have no actual plans to do any other hikes or stops i was just goin to see whats in the area/time for

so i am open to any recs on hiking/exploring spots

i have been to pictured rocks during winter in the up and loved that i also stayed in marquette and did some hiking around there and loved some of the mountain overlooks and random waterfalls/streams that were hidden in the up

Happy to help. Excited you are going to tour around my area. :)

One campground you may be able to stop at is Lake Michigan Recreation Area. It's part of Manistee National Forest and on Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. Pretty easy access to the Ludington courses if you wanted to stay a couple days. I think they have two loops of sites that are walk-in, other two are reserve in advance and probably full but idk you could look. I have been going to the group camp there every summer since I was born. Pretty nice place, very rustic and secluded in the woods. No cell service though so you'll have to plan your bagging in advance hahah.

Sleeping Bear is a cool area, you'll probably want to drive around Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and check out the dune climb. In general though I think the UP has the LP beat in terms of hiking, scenery, etc. You'll like not having to drive 2+ hours to reach the next fun disc golf course tho. :D

Way up towards the top of the LP there is the "Tunnel of Trees" (another scenic drive) and Wilderness State Park is one of my favorites. Need that park pass again there tho. :P