Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Michigan New Course Updates (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47059)

ru4por 06-23-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3817952)
Interesting. The layout I played when I last visited (May 2021 I believe) was still pretty good, but had a ridiculous walk near the end of the round and overall was a disappointment after having played the original 24 as a kid. It also lacked the top-of-the-world hole, which I assumed was going into that second 18.

This is current, I think? So maybe what I actually read was that they are done re-re-laying out the one side. :wall: https://www.traversecitymi.gov/gover...disc-golf.html

This seems to indicate only the White course is open, but the Info page seems to contradict. Shrug. The White course is what we played last fall and minus the top of the world shot, it incorporated many of the old layout holes. It was a fun and tough round.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/course...Hills/comments

elmexdela 06-23-2022 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3817962)
Happy to help. Excited you are going to tour around my area. :)

One campground you may be able to stop at is Lake Michigan Recreation Area. It's part of Manistee National Forest and on Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. Pretty easy access to the Ludington courses if you wanted to stay a couple days. I think they have two loops of sites that are walk-in, other two are reserve in advance and probably full but idk you could look. I have been going to the group camp there every summer since I was born. Pretty nice place, very rustic and secluded in the woods. No cell service though so you'll have to plan your bagging in advance hahah.

Sleeping Bear is a cool area, you'll probably want to drive around Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and check out the dune climb. In general though I think the UP has the LP beat in terms of hiking, scenery, etc. You'll like not having to drive 2+ hours to reach the next fun disc golf course tho. :D

Way up towards the top of the LP there is the "Tunnel of Trees" (another scenic drive) and Wilderness State Park is one of my favorites. Need that park pass again there tho. :P

sweeet thank you so much i took a pic of it to remember

i saw people online talk about wilderness state park and the porkies state park too seems to be michigans popular ones

marquette was a sick area it reminded me of duluth mn (marquette dg was pretty lackluster tho)

do you know if indiana dunes thing is worth stopping in by gary indiana

ejvogie 06-23-2022 04:23 PM

There's nothing worth stopping for in Gary, IN




*opinion based on multiple drivethroughs on the Indiana Toll Road

elmexdela 06-23-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3818048)
There's nothing worth stopping for in Gary, IN




*opinion based on multiple drivethroughs on the Indiana Toll Road

i know gary has a negative reputation but i wasnt sure if those dunes were a saving grace

ejvogie 06-23-2022 05:16 PM

I should say, my opinion is SOLELY based on views from the turnpike.

GIANT grains of salt to be had here

elmexdela 06-23-2022 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3818075)
I should say, my opinion is SOLELY based on views from the turnpike.

GIANT grains of salt to be had here

well you wont find me on toll roads anyways

im a cheap bastard

DFrah 06-23-2022 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3817969)
This seems to indicate only the White course is open, but the Info page seems to contradict. Shrug. The White course is what we played last fall and minus the top of the world shot, it incorporated many of the old layout holes. It was a fun and tough round.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/course...Hills/comments

That sounds like the one I played too. Shrug haha. I'll update at some point, probably later this summer...unless elmexdela gets there first. ;)

elmexdela 06-23-2022 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3818090)
That sounds like the one I played too. Shrug haha. I'll update at some point, probably later this summer...unless elmexdela gets there first. ;)

i mighta missed a spot

what do you need me to report on

DFrah 06-23-2022 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3818016)
sweeet thank you so much i took a pic of it to remember

i saw people online talk about wilderness state park and the porkies state park too seems to be michigans popular ones

marquette was a sick area it reminded me of duluth mn (marquette dg was pretty lackluster tho)

do you know if indiana dunes thing is worth stopping in by gary indiana

Yeah my favorite state parks here are probably those two, to be honest. Although I probably still haven't been to a majority of them. Ludington has a nice state park too actually. Fun hiking trails and walk to the lighthouse.

I have never been to Indiana Dunes so I'm not sure. Sleeping Bear Dunes is *probably* superior, but that's just my hot take.

DFrah 06-23-2022 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3818092)
i mighta missed a spot

what do you need me to report on

Current status of Hickory. ;)

Countchunkula 06-23-2022 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3818048)
There's nothing worth stopping for in Gary, IN




*opinion based on multiple drivethroughs on the Indiana Toll Road

As a high schooler taking a day trip to Indiana for fireworks, we encountered awful traffic on the highway on the way back and decided to try side streets. Pre GPS, 3 suburban white boys hopelessly lost in Gary. We eventually found our way out and didn't get into any trouble. Got a lot of looks odd looks as we were clearly not from around there though. Don't think those neighborhoods saw many outsiders that were not there to buy drugs.

I remember liking the Warren dunes in SW Michigan better than Indiana dunes, haven't been to either in many years and have no idea what that opinion was based on. Pretty sure Sleeping Bear is > than either though.

ru4por 06-23-2022 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3818016)
sweeet thank you so much i took a pic of it to remember

i saw people online talk about wilderness state park and the porkies state park too seems to be michigans popular ones

marquette was a sick area it reminded me of duluth mn (marquette dg was pretty lackluster tho)

do you know if indiana dunes thing is worth stopping in by gary indiana

Michigan State Parks are terrific and generally laden with solid amenities. They DO have a 9 or 10 quiet time which is pretty universally enforced. A couple guys chatting around a fire seems to be too much. FYI.

Wilderness and Porcupine parks are both fantastic....also among my favorites. They are definitely not the most popular...which is good.

IMO, State Forest Campgrounds, generally available in the National Forests you reference below, are a better plan. No electric or modern bathrooms, but far more laid back. They are usually planted on some pretty cool natural attraction. Often associated with trial heads.

ru4por 06-23-2022 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3817962)
Happy to help. Excited you are going to tour around my area. :)

One campground you may be able to stop at is Lake Michigan Recreation Area. It's part of Manistee National Forest and on Lake Michigan between Manistee and Ludington. Pretty easy access to the Ludington courses if you wanted to stay a couple days. I think they have two loops of sites that are walk-in, other two are reserve in advance and probably full but idk you could look. I have been going to the group camp there every summer since I was born. Pretty nice place, very rustic and secluded in the woods. No cell service though so you'll have to plan your bagging in advance hahah.

Sleeping Bear is a cool area, you'll probably want to drive around Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive and check out the dune climb. In general though I think the UP has the LP beat in terms of hiking, scenery, etc. You'll like not having to drive 2+ hours to reach the next fun disc golf course tho. :D

Way up towards the top of the LP there is the "Tunnel of Trees" (another scenic drive) and Wilderness State Park is one of my favorites. Need that park pass again there tho. :P

QFT :hfive:

davetherocketguy 06-24-2022 05:14 AM

Warren Dunes in Bridgman, MI are great but horrendously busy this this time of year. The Indiana national lakeshore dunes are rather pathetic compared to what's in Michigan IMHO. If you want to do dune hiking the further north you go the better with Sleeping Bear being the biggest of all. Keep in mind though that every one of the state parks are going to be busy and as I understand it, Warren Dunes being the busiest in the entire state.

Mushin No Shin 06-24-2022 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3818016)
the porkies state park

Lake of the Clouds is worth a Visit :)

ru4por 06-24-2022 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3818209)
Warren Dunes in Bridgman, MI are great but horrendously busy this this time of year. The Indiana national lakeshore dunes are rather pathetic compared to what's in Michigan IMHO. If you want to do dune hiking the further north you go the better with Sleeping Bear being the biggest of all. Keep in mind though that every one of the state parks are going to be busy and as I understand it, Warren Dunes being the busiest in the entire state.

The distinction goes to Ludington State Park, but you are right. Getting into nearly any Michigan State Park is difficult.

davetherocketguy 06-24-2022 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3818267)
The distinction goes to Ludington State Park, but you are right. Getting into nearly any Michigan State Park is difficult.

Ludington is freaking awesome.

elmexdela 06-26-2022 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3818096)
Current status of Hickory. ;)

yes will do thank you

elmexdela 06-26-2022 07:29 PM

im super excited

thank yall for the suggestions

ill report back

im taking a lot of chances this trip and hoping everything works out

MI Hyzer Phlip 06-26-2022 10:19 PM

If travelling the U.S. 31 corridor north toward Flip City, I must suggest:

Whitehall DGC. 36 holes (3 sets of nines with 3 holes added each)
Henderson Lake DGC. 18 holes, one exit north at Montague.
Both of these are fully wooded, offer very solid golf, and are direct to the highway.

Branstrom Park offers great variety and is definitely worth a look.

DFrah 06-26-2022 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3818863)
im super excited

thank yall for the suggestions

ill report back

im taking a lot of chances this trip and hoping everything works out

Have fun! Don't hesitate to reach out again if you need more guidance mid trip. :)

DFrah 06-26-2022 11:20 PM

Updates on a couple of popular MI destinations:

I was at Burchfield Park on Friday. The River's Edge course is completely closed, other than the first two holes that play up and down the ski hill. There is a sign announcing the closure as you approach hole 3's tee. The sign says that the closure is due to "construction work zones", though none are visible from that point. The closure doesn't affect Renegade's Trail (formerly called "Devil's Den") which was in immaculate condition.

I also stopped by Mason County Park briefly today. I did not have time to actually play, but the signs announcing the closure of the Beauty course due to downed trees have been removed, so the course may be played again. However, recent UDisc "reviews" mention that baskets 9-19 are missing. I hope to get back to the park sometime this week and will try to remember to follow up here. Beast and Goliath are ready to go. There is also a new course at the Mason County campground, located less than a mile from the park. I had time to play that one. It's a quick round, holes are short but very entertaining playing up and down hills through tight woods. A great complement to Beauty/Beast/Goliath if you like technical woods golf (full review coming soon ;) ).

wolfhaley 06-26-2022 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MI Hyzer Phlip (Post 3818910)
If travelling the U.S. 31 corridor north toward Flip City, I must suggest:

Whitehall DGC. 36 holes (3 sets of nines with 3 holes added each)
Henderson Lake DGC. 18 holes, one exit north at Montague.
Both of these are fully wooded, offer very solid golf, and are direct to the highway.

Branstrom Park offers great variety and is definitely worth a look.

This is excellent advice right here :thmbup:

I haven't played that much over there, but thoroughly enjoyed all 3 of these courses.

davetherocketguy 06-27-2022 05:26 AM

Speaking of the Ludington area...I have heard rumors that Leviathan is back open now that construction at the school is done. However, I do not believe all the renovations are complete so uDisc will be essential to navigate at this point. How good it is compared to what it used to be is tough for me to say.

DFrah 06-27-2022 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3818939)
Speaking of the Ludington area...I have heard rumors that Leviathan is back open now that construction at the school is done. However, I do not believe all the renovations are complete so uDisc will be essential to navigate at this point. How good it is compared to what it used to be is tough for me to say.

It's possible I will get back there this week as well! I played there last November and it was definitely still a bit of a work in progress then.

sparty 06-27-2022 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MDeezy (Post 1059927)
Work has begun on Bertha Brock DGC


Played this a few years ago, great course! Would love to play again.

XC_Eddy 06-29-2022 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3818096)
Current status of Hickory. ;)

I was there a month ago and played one good 18 hole layout. My only complaint was that the 300ft uphill shots get really repetitive. 17 was the top of the world downhill hole. Unless I'm blind, that 18 was all that was in the ground.

Nick Pacific 06-29-2022 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC_Eddy (Post 3819649)
I was there a month ago and played one good 18 hole layout. My only complaint was that the 300ft uphill shots get really repetitive.

Hickory is tough, but to be honest, that beautiful property would be wasted if it was a pitch and putt ace runner. That's a very unique piece of property in a very exclusive part of Michigan, and it would have been an absolute tragedy if it was a bunch of putter shots.

DFrah 06-29-2022 09:53 PM

Played Leviathan this evening. I updated my review with more detail if anyone wants the long version. In short, nothing much has really changed since I visited last fall. From the shorts (what I played) it's an enjoyable and pretty doable round, other than serious signage/navigation issues and long walks between holes. From the longs there is no signage at all and it looked like it would be even more challenging than intended, because more clearing/etc. needs to happen on the holes that were not part of the old layout. In its current state, I would put Leviathan behind Whiskey Hills, Beauty, Beast, and Labyrinth in the Ludington area catalog.

I still plan on hitting Beauty and Beast later this week.

mrclc 06-29-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3819782)
In its current state, I would put Leviathan behind Whiskey Hills, Beauty, Beast, and Labyrinth in the Ludington area catalog.

Co-sign on this assessment. Leviathan is currently a navigation disaster for a course that's a shadow of its former self. As the saying goes, the juice just isn't worth the squeeze. It's a fine change of pace if you never played the classic layout, but there are too many other better (and more pure fun if you count Tinderbox) courses in Mason County to bother.

mrclc 06-29-2022 10:39 PM

While we're on the subject, Tinderbox is a blast. Make time for it if you're in the area.

DFrah 06-29-2022 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrclc (Post 3819788)
While we're on the subject, Tinderbox is a blast. Make time for it if you're in the area.

I'll co-sign that in return. :)

It's currently sitting at #2 in my review queue. Should be written up this weekend or next week sometime.

apdrvya 06-30-2022 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3819797)
I'll co-sign that in return. :)

It's currently sitting at #2 in my review queue. Should be written up this weekend or next week sometime.

100%, it was the first course my 7 year old played all 18 :)

DFrah 07-01-2022 08:49 PM

As promised, here is an update on Mason County Park!

Beauty is back!!! Just to add a little context for those who don't know, it was hit by a major storm last summer sometime and has been unplayable since then. I visited the park for the first time last November and conquered (read: was conquered by) Beast and Goliath. I returned this afternoon. Beautiful summer day here, mid 70s and very little wind.

So this was my first time playing Beauty. The damage that was done by the storm was clearly pretty extensive. It affected most of the wooded area to the east of the park drive. It looks like they had to carve out paths for some heavy machinery to get into the area and help with the clearing. As of today, all of the baskets and tees are there and all of the fairways are cleared. There are still impressive piles of downed tree debris off to the side of several fairways. I think there was one tee sign missing and one other hole where the pad is basically buried in dirt. But overall the course is very playable.

There is also one hole that is redesigned. It's #8, which is the one labeled #7 on the map uploaded here (for those who haven't visited recently, they have new tee signs renumbering the holes 1-24 instead of 1-18 with a-f sprinkled in - this applies to all three courses on site). Based on the map, hole #8 used to play across the park drive and was located pretty much right where people would be parking for 9 months out of the year when the gate is locked. Now, the tee for that hole has been moved across the drive into the wooded area. The walk there from the previous hole is pretty long, but they planted a couple of Next Tee signs directing you across the road and onto a wooded trail, and I thought it was pretty obvious after that. The new hole plays 300' roughly south to north, down a wooded valley then slightly back up the other side. The basket is tucked in to the right behind some trees and also raised on a decorative pedestal. I really liked this new hole - it was one of the most memorable on the course for me.

All of the other holes were the same as far as I could tell (based on the map and comparing the tee signs to the distances listed here), although I would bet that between the storm damage and the machinery running through, some of them are not quite as tight as they used to be.

The Beast/Goliath side of the park is in great shape and was unaffected by all of this work on Beauty.

elmexdela 07-02-2022 12:31 PM

As promised the report on hickory I'm on my phone so I’m goin to be brief and have punctuation. Hickory has white 18 and blue 18 available to play. Major jam up with 3-4 groups on one of the holes cuz no one knew where to go. This double layout that overlaps a lot, unfortunately doesn’t seem to work. Decent course tho.

apdrvya 07-02-2022 12:51 PM

Just to add a little caveat here, the redesign was there before the storm :)

Nothing major, just wanted to throw that in there..

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3820306)
As promised, here is an update on Mason County Park!

Beauty is back!!! Just to add a little context for those who don't know, it was hit by a major storm last summer sometime and has been unplayable since then. I visited the park for the first time last November and conquered (read: was conquered by) Beast and Goliath. I returned this afternoon. Beautiful summer day here, mid 70s and very little wind.

So this was my first time playing Beauty. The damage that was done by the storm was clearly pretty extensive. It affected most of the wooded area to the east of the park drive. It looks like they had to carve out paths for some heavy machinery to get into the area and help with the clearing. As of today, all of the baskets and tees are there and all of the fairways are cleared. There are still impressive piles of downed tree debris off to the side of several fairways. I think there was one tee sign missing and one other hole where the pad is basically buried in dirt. But overall the course is very playable.

There is also one hole that is redesigned. It's #8, which is the one labeled #7 on the map uploaded here (for those who haven't visited recently, they have new tee signs renumbering the holes 1-24 instead of 1-18 with a-f sprinkled in - this applies to all three courses on site). Based on the map, hole #8 used to play across the park drive and was located pretty much right where people would be parking for 9 months out of the year when the gate is locked. Now, the tee for that hole has been moved across the drive into the wooded area. The walk there from the previous hole is pretty long, but they planted a couple of Next Tee signs directing you across the road and onto a wooded trail, and I thought it was pretty obvious after that. The new hole plays 300' roughly south to north, down a wooded valley then slightly back up the other side. The basket is tucked in to the right behind some trees and also raised on a decorative pedestal. I really liked this new hole - it was one of the most memorable on the course for me.

All of the other holes were the same as far as I could tell (based on the map and comparing the tee signs to the distances listed here), although I would bet that between the storm damage and the machinery running through, some of them are not quite as tight as they used to be.

The Beast/Goliath side of the park is in great shape and was unaffected by all of this work on Beauty.


Central Scrutinizer 07-02-2022 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3820306)
As promised, here is an update on Mason County Park!

Beauty is back!!! Just to add a little context for those who don't know, it was hit by a major storm last summer sometime and has been unplayable since then. I visited the park for the first time last November and conquered (read: was conquered by) Beast and Goliath. I returned this afternoon. Beautiful summer day here, mid 70s and very little wind.

So this was my first time playing Beauty. The damage that was done by the storm was clearly pretty extensive. It affected most of the wooded area to the east of the park drive. It looks like they had to carve out paths for some heavy machinery to get into the area and help with the clearing. As of today, all of the baskets and tees are there and all of the fairways are cleared. There are still impressive piles of downed tree debris off to the side of several fairways. I think there was one tee sign missing and one other hole where the pad is basically buried in dirt. But overall the course is very playable.

There is also one hole that is redesigned. It's #8, which is the one labeled #7 on the map uploaded here (for those who haven't visited recently, they have new tee signs renumbering the holes 1-24 instead of 1-18 with a-f sprinkled in - this applies to all three courses on site). Based on the map, hole #8 used to play across the park drive and was located pretty much right where people would be parking for 9 months out of the year when the gate is locked. Now, the tee for that hole has been moved across the drive into the wooded area. The walk there from the previous hole is pretty long, but they planted a couple of Next Tee signs directing you across the road and onto a wooded trail, and I thought it was pretty obvious after that. The new hole plays 300' roughly south to north, down a wooded valley then slightly back up the other side. The basket is tucked in to the right behind some trees and also raised on a decorative pedestal. I really liked this new hole - it was one of the most memorable on the course for me.

All of the other holes were the same as far as I could tell (based on the map and comparing the tee signs to the distances listed here), although I would bet that between the storm damage and the machinery running through, some of them are not quite as tight as they used to be.

The Beast/Goliath side of the park is in great shape and was unaffected by all of this work on Beauty.

Thanks for the update. I need to get my son up there for his first visit (I'd played it as far back as '98 on the "raskets" they had there but haven't been back in maybe 20 years). He'll be most likely playing in Am-2 at the states as a 13-year-old.

ru4por 07-02-2022 04:25 PM

I know we will shortly get to see Toboggan in it's full glory, but I thought I would give my impression. Got out and played (brutalized) on Friday morning. The changes are real. They have pushed back a couple pins since USADGC and it looks like they have one to go. The tee pads are top tier. We played shorts and this course simply does not provide for any break. It is relentless in it's beating. For player not rated near 1000, it is simply out of our league. Fun, but built (redesigned) for a different skill set. The new fairways are going to need a year or two to grow some nice grass, but all of them were well thought out. Since the Russian Olive removal a handful of years ago, most of the rough on this course is not punishing. You can make mistakes and still be in the hunt for par (if you are 1000 rated). The park has tapped into water on the pavilion side of the parking lot, for watering an area that seems to be for a tent or tournament set up. I really hope they make this a drinking fountain or source of potable water. This course could use it. Terrific morning....my rating is four Motrin.

DFrah 07-02-2022 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by apdrvya (Post 3820392)
Just to add a little caveat here, the redesign was there before the storm :)

Nothing major, just wanted to throw that in there..

Thank you! Had no idea. :)

DFrah 07-02-2022 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3820389)
As promised the report on hickory I'm on my phone so Iím goin to be brief and have punctuation. Hickory has white 18 and blue 18 available to play. Major jam up with 3-4 groups on one of the holes cuz no one knew where to go. This double layout that overlaps a lot, unfortunately doesnít seem to work. Decent course tho.

Thanks for update! Sounds wild. Still not sure why they just didn't keep the old 24. :P


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.