Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Gateway Magic (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13667)

robertbonson 03-27-2010 03:41 PM

Gateway Magic

My S Wizard was just forcefully stolen from me (taken back by my friend who i had taken it from) and as my E wizard does as fine a job as far as putt and approach goes, but i don't like it to be lonely in my putting pouch, i was thinking of getting a magic for it to play with.

am i right in hoping that the magic is very straight on hyzer flips and won't hyzer out hard when it loses speed?

sloppydisc 03-27-2010 04:10 PM

You guys sound like great friends. Must be a lot of fun to play with you guys.

Get another Wizard. Go with SS, SSS or an Organic. My Organics feel more like S.

robertbonson 03-27-2010 06:16 PM

well he never throws wizards anymore, and he lent it to me once when i was thinking about buying a wizard, then he let me have it to practice, but i guess he wants it back because it's a wall disc (custom stamped with his university logo)

anywho.. i'll keep putting with and throwing my e wiz (don't like that organic plastic, it weirds me out), but i'm looking for the magic to be a very straight approach disc when left is jail.

Frank Delicious 03-27-2010 06:29 PM

The magic is very straight but any disc has the possibility to hyzer out.

robertbonson 03-27-2010 06:54 PM

this i understand, I guess i'm wondering how well it holds a line towards the end of its flight.

robertbonson 03-27-2010 06:56 PM

love your sig by the way, frank

Frank Delicious 03-27-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertbonson (Post 305026)
this i understand, I guess i'm wondering how well it holds a line towards the end of its flight.

It will hold a line very well. They start out with a little hyzer but beat in nicely. I used to throw them as a compliment to my wizard but stopped throwing them because they started molding up differently than the early runs. They have a puffier rim and most have domes instead of being flat. The new runs beat in too quickly for me. Right now I'm using an Ion for that spot and have no complaints.

DiscJunkie 03-27-2010 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Delicious (Post 305053)
It will hold a line very well. They start out with a little hyzer but beat in nicely. I used to throw them as a compliment to my wizard but stopped throwing them because they started molding up differently than the early runs. They have a puffier rim and most have domes instead of being flat. The new runs beat in too quickly for me. Right now I'm using an Ion for that spot and have no complaints.

Magic is my main putter, so i can speak with some familiarity.
Frank speaks truth.
They are molding differently now.
The rims are puffier and the lids are domey-er.
And no it does not hyzer out sharply, especially after a little beating -in.
May I make a suggestion?
Try a Voodoo. It is a Wizard without a bead. It is very straight-flying and will fade out more gently than a Wizard.

Frank Delicious 03-27-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscJunkie (Post 305062)
Try a Voodoo. It is a Wizard without a bead. It is very straight-flying and will fade out more gently than a Wizard.

The voodoo is not a wizard without a bead, it is a completely different mold and actually has a small bead. The warlock is supposed to be a wizard without a bead but after some discussion it probably isn't.

Your description of its flight characteristics are spot on though.

ThrowaEnvy 03-27-2010 11:50 PM

I second the Voodoo motion, the voodoo has a rounded edge like a wizard and because the bead is smaller the disc is lower and more balanced/gyroscopically stable than the wizard. It pretty much flies like a beat in wiz and in my opinion fades straighter than the Magic on a flat softer throw and feels more like a Wizard. Warlock is crap. The magic will do well for approach shots where you want to hyzer flip it and have it fade straight, but it's also more capable of turning faster and farther both ways than the Voodoo.

I use a Magic/Wizard combo myself, either Voodoo or Magic make a good compliment to the Wizard & either one is ultra groovy. IMO the Voodoo is better at straight flight and is less of an adjustment from a Wizard, kinda like getting one with 2yrs of wear on it, or a SSS Wizard. The Magic is more of a touch disc, it's amazing but it's flight characteristics are more different from a Wiz then the Voodoo, mainly because it's HSS is less and it just feels more "glidey" and more "S" ish but don't get me wrong it will go dead straight and fade straight thrown properly.