Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Brodie Smith PDGA #128378 (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135632)

Superbford 01-11-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomphoolery (Post 3679877)
I had no idea McBeth was dealing with an injury. Deets?

I don't hold Paul accountable for sticking up for Brodie. He probably should have just stayed out of it, but they're pals, and you take up for your pal when someone gives them a hard time. I still maintain that Brodie needs to lighten up.

No, Paul is not in my personal favorite 3 MPO players, but he's the Michael Jordan of disc golf. The only reason it gets boring watching him is because every single throw is perfect.

He began last season coming off a bad ankle injury to end 2019... this year he will begin fully recovered. It isn't like he was bad last year, but starting with the injury and then covid stopping the season wasn't beneficial for him... or of course!

ILUVSMGS18 01-12-2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superbford (Post 3679910)
He began last season coming off a bad ankle injury to end 2019... this year he will begin fully recovered. It isn't like he was bad last year, but starting with the injury and then covid stopping the season wasn't beneficial for him... or of course!

I think the pause was actually a good thing for him rehab wise. Gave him a good understanding of where he was injury wise and to see what he needed to do. He did look kinda rusty at some points, but without a World's to compete for, he could be rusty for a bit while he regained his normal form.

Tomphoolery 01-14-2021 05:01 PM

I tweeted at McBeth and Uli about Ezra, and Brodie was already on the case. Good looks Brodie, showing up for your new teammate.

I now have a fantasy about Brodie saving his image by becoming best buds with Ezra. Brodie unlocks Ezra's true competitive spirit, and Ezra teaches Brodie a thing or two about just being chill.

davetherocketguy 01-25-2021 01:08 AM

Brodie is a hot take machine...

It's actually not a bad idea in some situations. Sure, it would be nice to widen tee pads to give players a bit more creativity off the tee pad. But when the cost question is asked he responds with "well just have the DGPT pay for it." Uh huh...where is that money going to come from? I love how people can come up with great ideas like this but fail to recognize what it takes to make something like that happen. We're talking a minimum of $3k per course the DGPT would have to cough up - even if its only half the tee pads that are expanded or whatever he's talking about.

"Ok Brodie...we'll do and pay for the improvements you want but the cost is coming out of the MPO/FPO payouts." Wonder how that would go over...

-Dave

roadtripstuff 01-25-2021 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3684407)
Brodie is a hot take machine...

It's actually not a bad idea in some situations. Sure, it would be nice to widen tee pads to give players a bit more creativity off the tee pad. But when the cost question is asked he responds with "well just have the DGPT pay for it." Uh huh...where is that money going to come from? I love how people can come up with great ideas like this but fail to recognize what it takes to make something like that happen. We're talking a minimum of $3k per course the DGPT would have to cough up - even if its only half the tee pads that are expanded or whatever he's talking about.

"Ok Brodie...we'll do and pay for the improvements you want but the cost is coming out of the MPO/FPO payouts." Wonder how that would go over...

-Dave

While this is one thing Brodie and I definitely don't agree on, I think it's pretty silly and would look ridiculous, but let's not pretend this is disc golf 20 years ago, or hell even 5 years ago. DGPT is pulling in 75K plus a month (at least during the season) and can definitely afford to make some of the courses more challenging for their events. I don't however think that huge slabs of concrete are where the money should go.

Casey 1988 01-25-2021 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtripstuff (Post 3684417)
While this is one thing Brodie and I definitely don't agree on, I think it's pretty silly and would look ridiculous, but let's not pretend this is disc golf 20 years ago, or hell even 5 years ago. DGPT is pulling in 75K plus a month (at least during the season) and can definitely afford to make some of the courses more challenging for their events. I don't however think that huge slabs of concrete are where the money should go.

Me either though to have some uniformity on the pads with all being in good working order concrete/similar like the fixed pavers for a course, this would help enormously as I think getting rid of some pads that are just the turf carpet or rubber pad on rocks/gravel not laid over a concrete pad and attached on edges into rocks/gravel or right into the earth. Yes the pads would be allowed but only if a solid concrete/fixed paver situation is below the turf/rubber pad. If the idea could happen Then the driving surface for entire course will be nearly uniform from player to player for the whole tournament for each single hole the way they are shaped/surface with only time not is in rain/snow during DGPT.

wolfhaley 01-25-2021 02:53 AM

I think he needs to take care of that lip first and foremost :gross:

There's many different aspects involved with this though. Toboggan is a temp course only with rubber tees. That'd be a no go even to get concrete tees. The Memorial, which I can't remember if it was an NT or DGPT stop, has some tees that added onto a sidewalk. Others are giant concrete circles. The Preserve has turf style tees. Maple hill has brick tees, etc.

He should probably play more than a handful of events before deciding what's "best" for disc golf.

Jugular 01-25-2021 04:32 AM

How is it a hot take to say "how about we move the teepads?", or "why aren't all teepads made from concrete?", or "can't we just standardize the teepads?" because even though I've only been playing disc golf for a short while I've heard those questions dozens of times.

jakebake91 01-25-2021 09:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this tweet hilariously ironic. I thought Brodie was living his best. Apparently not, if you believe this.....

Because Lord knows he wants ALL of us to know what he's doing and thinking at ALL times.

Nick Pacific 01-25-2021 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3684423)
There's many different aspects involved with this though. Toboggan is a temp course only with rubber tees. That'd be a no go even to get concrete tees

I wouldn't rule this out just yet. I know that Nate Heinhold has taken over the reigns of DGLO, and now that Discraft and Discgolf is bigger and more influential than ever before, this might happen, especially with Discraft being local and this being their flagship event. Nate could make the case that as long as the baskets are pulled, there won't be much traffic out there.

And it's not like the disc golfers are the only ones out there on that course during the offseason. I see people hiking and running those hills all year long, there are crossfit and hiking groups out there often.

Cement teepads themselves aren't exactly some environmental disaster and they can always be removed down the road should issues arise. Tree loss and erosion are much bigger issues than that and they can be mitigated by pulling baskets/closing course off.