Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Vibram Ibex (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105849)

GirdleRoc 05-28-2014 09:31 AM

Vibram Ibex

I played in a Vibram Birdie Bash this weekend and it was an absolute blast. I picked up a medium Ridge and Ibex.
I don't know how I feel about the Ibex.
To me it felt like a slightly worn Roc. I could throw it on a nice anhyzer line with a little fade on the end. I could also throw nice hyzer lines. However I couldn't hyzer flip it for longer shots. It was 175g. I could throw around 250 accurately.
Is this a lack of power/technique or is that just how the disc flies?
Also how do Vibram discs wear? I guy on my card said they wear really quick.

Brodysseus 05-28-2014 09:45 AM

Slightly worn Roc is a decent analogy for an Ibex. I typically say an Ibex flies like a faster Shark. After a few rounds though, it should lose it's mold stiffness and gain some turn. After that though, Vibram medium Xlink is one of the most durable materials on the market and it will break in extremely slowly, think a little more longevity than champ. Firm Xlink beats in faster, close to the rate a Star will break in, maybe a little faster.

shue 05-28-2014 09:58 AM

I like the ibex/obex pair nothing those two mids can't handle

GirdleRoc 05-28-2014 10:06 AM

Sweet! Thanks.
I have 2 Dx Rocs and a fresh Champion Roc3 so I am not exactly sure where this will fit into my bag.
I had a good experience with it at the Birdie Bash so I kind of want to make it fit. I also really liked the feel of the medium X-Link...

I just needa bigger then right?:thmbup:

TrustYourRubber 05-28-2014 11:54 AM

I've had limited success with hyzer-flipping. A new Ibex will hold your hyzer lines really well. For smaller arms, you're not going to be able to do much anhyzer with this disc. It takes a big arm to get it to anhyzer, but it'll hold big anhyzers with some practice.

What I like to do is: just throw it straight and hard right at the basket. Seems to fly straight and far with good form. Having said that, a lot of people don't practice good clean form. This disc will reward your good form.

shue 05-28-2014 11:59 AM

I've got a couple extra ibexs and obexs if you'd like to try different weights/ firmnesses . I flip the ibexs and the obex is dead straight with nicely predictable fade

GirdleRoc 05-28-2014 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrustYourRubber (Post 2467639)
I've had limited success with hyzer-flipping. A new Ibex will hold your hyzer lines really well. For smaller arms, you're not going to be able to do much anhyzer with this disc. It takes a big arm to get it to anhyzer, but it'll hold big anhyzers with some practice.

What I like to do is: just throw it straight and hard right at the basket. Seems to fly straight and far with good form. Having said that, a lot of people don't practice good clean form. This disc will reward your good form.

Yeah it is a very straight disc. I can actually throw it on an anhyzer line that is what I liked about it. I just couldn't get it to hyzer flip which confused me.

I think I will have to field test it with my rocs to see where it fits in.

I love vibram five fingers so I want to give thier discs a shot.

Treevis 05-28-2014 01:04 PM

Ibex is a crazy midrange. It was the first Vibram disc I threw and is still the most impressive to me. Although I do not own one till Saturdays BB (still baffles me why), every time I whip a friends Ibex its flat and straight with minimal fade. Just stable as can be and the distance it gathers puts it next to my fairway driver shots really consistently. Vibram crushed it with this disc for sure!

money 21 05-28-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GirdleRoc (Post 2467496)
Sweet! Thanks.
I have 2 Dx Rocs and a fresh Champion Roc3 so I am not exactly sure where this will fit into my bag.
I had a good experience with it at the Birdie Bash so I kind of want to make it fit. I also really liked the feel of the medium X-Link...

I just needa bigger then right?:thmbup:

I would replace the more stable of the dx rocs with the ibex keeping the flippier roc for turn overs until the ibex loosens up. once broke in a roc3 ibex pairing could be very effective.

joecoin 05-28-2014 02:59 PM

I have 2 Ibex. (Ibexes? Ibexxi?)

Both are mediums, 1 is 165, 1 is 171. The 165 reads Fade 7 Turn 5. The 171 reads Fade 5 Turn 7.

Anyone have any clue as to which it is, Fade 7 or 5; Turn 5 or 7?