Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Deputy vs. Swan (2) (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128459)

SD86 08-15-2017 03:28 PM

Deputy vs. Swan (2)

Can anyone who has used both give a comparison between the Swan and the Deputy? How are they alike and different in feel and flight? TIA for any replies.

swhite 08-15-2017 06:03 PM

I went to a field this afternoon to compare the flights of Deputies and Swan2s, and also threw some classic Aviars, a Hard Swan1 Reborn, and a very beat Hard Shield. Most of discs thrown are new, with the exception of the beat in Shield and a beat in Medium Swan2.

For reference, I live at about 300 ft elevation, and there was a slight breeze coming from about the 2 o'clock direction.

I keep a measuring wheel in the trunk of my car for field throwing, so that I can more accurately measure distances, and used this today.
I set up the measuring wheel at 200 ft, and threw each disc at this "target", 16 discs total. I then gathered the discs, and rolled the wheel out to 225 ft, and threw the discs a second time. Then, I retrieved the discs again, and rolled the wheel out to 250 ft, and threw the discs a final time.

My findings are:

The beat in Shield is still more stable than just about all the other discs, with the exception of a Hard Swan2 that was fairly stable.

The Aviars fly very straight! I hadn't thrown one in a while, and was pleasantly surprised at this.

Most of the Swan2s fly slightly understable. The exceptions being the aforementioned stable one, and two that were more understable - a beat in Medium Swan2 and a new Soft Swan2.

The Hard Swan1 Reborn was a bit more understable than most of the Swan2s.

The Medium Deputies flew similarly to the Swan2s, but I would say that they were just slightly straighter. Very close. They also flew a bit farther than than all the other discs.

If I left out any details that interest you, let me know.

swhite 08-15-2017 06:08 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention the feel of the discs.

A Swan2 feels deeper than a Deputy to me. Also, the Deputies feel similar to a Shield to me, which I like; not quite as deep as a Shield though.

I always considered that Swan2s feel a bit odd for my hand, a reason I often don't bag it, I suppose. No problems with the feel of a Deputy for me

SD86 08-15-2017 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3212513)

oops, saw your second post after I posted this one...

mizunodave 08-16-2017 09:34 PM

You mentioned "medium" Deputy. You have one in a plastic that isn't Prime plastic?

Amazingly good research, thanks.

swhite 08-17-2017 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mizunodave (Post 3212951)
You mentioned "medium" Deputy. You have one in a plastic that isn't Prime plastic?

Amazingly good research, thanks.

Oh, maybe it is Prime plastic. It has the Trilogy Challenge stamp. I felt it and said, "feels like Medium." Should have researched that.

Yxebrew 10-25-2017 09:31 AM

Double post

Yxebrew 10-25-2017 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3212513)
I went to a field this afternoon to compare the flights of Deputies and Swan2s, and also threw some classic Aviars, a Hard Swan1 Reborn, and a very beat Hard Shield. Most of discs thrown are new, with the exception of the beat in Shield and a beat in Medium Swan2.

For reference, I live at about 300 ft elevation, and there was a slight breeze coming from about the 2 o'clock direction.

I keep a measuring wheel in the trunk of my car for field throwing, so that I can more accurately measure distances, and used this today.
I set up the measuring wheel at 200 ft, and threw each disc at this "target", 16 discs total. I then gathered the discs, and rolled the wheel out to 225 ft, and threw the discs a second time. Then, I retrieved the discs again, and rolled the wheel out to 250 ft, and threw the discs a final time.

My findings are:

The beat in Shield is still more stable than just about all the other discs, with the exception of a Hard Swan2 that was fairly stable.

The Aviars fly very straight! I hadn't thrown one in a while, and was pleasantly surprised at this.

Most of the Swan2s fly slightly understable. The exceptions being the aforementioned stable one, and two that were more understable - a beat in Medium Swan2 and a new Soft Swan2.

The Hard Swan1 Reborn was a bit more understable than most of the Swan2s.

The Medium Deputies flew similarly to the Swan2s, but I would say that they were just slightly straighter. Very close. They also flew a bit farther than than all the other discs.

The trilogy deputies were all in prime.

Have you kept them in your bag? How do you like throwing them now?

ManU 10-25-2017 02:35 PM

I have maybe 3-4 throws on a Deputy
I bag a Hard Swan2 at all times.

The wing on the Deputy is flatter (and at a lower angle/profile). This might account for it perhaps flying slightly faster...or longer as per Swhite's review.

The Swan2 is I think a bit thicker/blunter with a concave type/shaped wing.

To be fair the Swan2 feels strange to try and grip in a power grip. Again, I don't have enough throws on a Deputy to be able to compare that. The Deputy did feel good in the hand.

For me there wasn't any major or significant difference...in flight / flight results between the two discs to make me change (given that I have a bunch of Hards and really sweet firm/stiff Mediums).

It will likely just come down to which one feels better in your hand.

swhite 10-25-2017 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yxebrew (Post 3236811)
The trilogy deputies were all in prime.

Have you kept them in your bag? How do you like throwing them now?

I have not been bagging a Deputy since my post on Aug 17. The primary reason for this is because I have a cycle of Shields going (new Hard Shield, semi-beat Hard Shield, very beat Hard Shield) that seems to suit what I want right now for most putter throws. A hard Harp or ESP Zone fills out the remaining throwing putter in my bag.

Writing this, I feel the urge to put a Deputy back in the bag. The ones I tried out got some good distance on the relatively few throws I gave them. And, I like how comfortable they are.

I look to putters for some types of hyzer flip shots that require late turn (for instance, hole #18 of the Hill at Devens). My super beat Shield has been working that line pretty well, but I now also wonder how a Deputy would look on that hole.
Do you ever finally figure out some hole, and then immediately say to yourself, "Okay, that disc worked out great on this difficult shot! Now, I am going to attempt to repeat the same type of throw with a different mold."?
I guess, as soon as some challenge is met, I reset to another challenge.