Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Disc Golf Doctor: Injury prevention, form, and exercise (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130674)

Disc Golf Doctor 04-04-2018 09:54 PM

Disc Golf Doctor: Injury prevention, form, and exercise
 
New video on knee injury prevention. This will be an ongoing thread to keep the information together.

https://youtu.be/oJW_5cD2MfQ (knee injury prevention)

Other videos:
https://youtu.be/fOKdV4i8FLk (basic form: x-step, shoulder strengthening)
https://youtu.be/paqnIMQ3HoM (maintaining consistent line, beginning core strengthening)
https://youtu.be/yL-4tevpN78 (anhyzer & hyzer form, progressing core stabilization/strengthening)
https://youtu.be/r9e9rGyaYgE (grip and further core)
https://youtu.be/v4b-kxcE8UE (forehand, lunges)
https://youtu.be/oztQQyKhGcw (forehand further discussion)
https://youtu.be/7YU7NpfY_cg (lunges)
https://youtu.be/mWfcLq8N2mo (thoracic spine)
https://youtu.be/bk8NYoK7nT4 (feet alignment)
https://youtu.be/dLNdU3RRgCg (shoulder injury prevention)
https://youtu.be/FUWJoNnsXZ0 (scapular stabilization)
https://youtu.be/pKSUHI2ExlM (rotator cuff strengthening)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEE1dt_ozE4 (ultimate players having difficulty transitioning to disc golf)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snthl3unc84 (tendonitis in disc golf)

Disc Golf Doctor 05-01-2018 08:03 PM

Video on shoulder injury prevention: https://youtu.be/dLNdU3RRgCg

GoobyPls 05-01-2018 09:34 PM

Thanks for putting these together.

Here's a suggestion for a potential topic: preparing for field work, i.e. lots of repetitions at higher power.

sidewinder22 05-01-2018 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Disc Golf Doctor (Post 3302922)
Video on shoulder injury prevention: https://youtu.be/dLNdU3RRgCg

Nice presentation Doc. You mention external shoulder rotation on backhand, but if you pronate palm down in followthrough wouldn't that be internal rotation? Does it depend on whether your arm follows through above(high five) or below(thumb down) the shoulder socket?

Another topic suggestion for you to cover - Piriformis and IT Band.

slowplastic 05-03-2018 12:32 PM

Shoulder video was excellent. A few more exercises in the future, as you mentioned, would be appreciated. I have done some moderate strengthening with dumbbells in similar motion to your couch exercise, minus the external rotation part, and it seemed to help prevent a mild impingement hangup feeling I had for a little while. Glad to see the motion I was doing was on the right track, from trying to google and do my best.

HyzerUniBomber 05-03-2018 01:16 PM

Great stuff doc, the stuff on scapular / serratus anterior. I've got scapular winging to some degree and have been using the following exercise:



along with a number of other stretches and push up plus.

I have had neck issues over the years and finally got to the point were holistically improving the issue has become a requirement.

If you have an specific exercises for scapular winging, I'm all wings.

storyboy 05-03-2018 02:46 PM

Thanks so much for the shoulder strengthening video. I tore my rotator cuff and my bicep muscle and also had my bicep muscle turned upside down, all from trying to do a 80' push putt. It put me on the ground in pain. I had it all fixed about 3 months ago and have been doing lots of physical therapy. I am back to were I can do short putts with my right arm but I have to be very careful. I worry that I won't ever be able 2 throw with my right arm again but I refuse 2 give up. I want 2 make sure it doesn't happen again so I really need 2 exercise the crap out of it. I hope all disc golfers watch your videos because I have never had shoulder problems and just like that I was down 4 the count. Thanks again.

Disc Golf Doctor 05-03-2018 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoobyPls (Post 3302967)
Thanks for putting these together.

Here's a suggestion for a potential topic: preparing for field work, i.e. lots of repetitions at higher power.

Good idea. I was planning on a stretching/warmup video but an emphasis on field work prep makes sense.

Disc Golf Doctor 05-03-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3302979)
Nice presentation Doc. You mention external shoulder rotation on backhand, but if you pronate palm down in followthrough wouldn't that be internal rotation? Does it depend on whether your arm follows through above(high five) or below(thumb down) the shoulder socket?

Another topic suggestion for you to cover - Piriformis and IT Band.

You are right, it depends on the follow through. I'll have to think on it, but the reach back would seem to be a combination of horizontal addiction and some internal rotation and the follow through horizontal abduction with the tendency towards external rotation (not that the external rotation is encouraged). I wouldn't mistake pronation for internal rotation but the two often go together. Otherwise, you are right.

Thanks for the suggestion. From my experience piriformis and IT band syndrome are way over diagnosed and are almost always not the issue. The sciatic nerve courses through the piriformis in only about 10-17% of the population. Most of the time it is being impinged elsewhere. IT band syndrome can happen with runners or other long distance/repetitive movement athletes but is not nearly as common as people think. That may be a good topic in and of it self in that sense.

Disc Golf Doctor 05-03-2018 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowplastic (Post 3303624)
Shoulder video was excellent. A few more exercises in the future, as you mentioned, would be appreciated. I have done some moderate strengthening with dumbbells in similar motion to your couch exercise, minus the external rotation part, and it seemed to help prevent a mild impingement hangup feeling I had for a little while. Glad to see the motion I was doing was on the right track, from trying to google and do my best.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber (Post 3303644)
Great stuff doc, the stuff on scapular / serratus anterior. I've got scapular winging to some degree and have been using the following exercise:



along with a number of other stretches and push up plus.

I have had neck issues over the years and finally got to the point were holistically improving the issue has become a requirement.

If you have an specific exercises for scapular winging, I'm all wings.

Just posted this last night on scapular stabilization. It is intended to be the first of two parts.: https://youtu.be/FUWJoNnsXZ0


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.