Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Twitch of the Hips (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137717)

seedlings 10-21-2020 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaROCaM (Post 3646847)
Here's one way to feel rotation from leg extension:

Stand with feet about shoulder width apart and pointed forward, knees and hips slightly flexed/bent, torso centered. Basically a quarter- to half-squat, athletic position. Keeping weight centered, extend one leg while keeping the other leg bent in the same manner as the starting position. Due to the extension of the leg, the hips will rotate in that direction. Remember to keep weight centered; one can prevent rotation but must then tip in the direction of the flexed leg.

Another illustration for the DG swing would be to get into a comfortable athletic stance, lift your lead leg off of the ground, then, rotate your hips around the lead leg while it is off the ground. This is demonstrates how simple it is to rotate the hips before planting that lead leg. Wait- I mean how impossible it is.

RowingBoats 10-21-2020 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seedlings (Post 3646859)
Another illustration for the DG swing would be to get into a comfortable athletic stance, lift your lead leg off of the ground, then, rotate your hips around the lead leg while it is off the ground. This is demonstrates how simple it is to rotate the hips before planting that lead leg. Wait- I mean how impossible it is.

Lol, I'm glad you edited this because I was seriously stretching my brain to understand.

sidewinder22 10-21-2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646692)
So you admit his hip is starting to turn?

As I've said several times before. It is not the intention though, is it?

"This is the FEEL that you want to cultivate."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-e1NXR6mk&t=4m15s

sidewinder22 10-22-2020 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646744)
I was doing your drills as a way to show the folly of them.

Please show me these drills you speak of. Looks like you created your own drill, the Topsy Turvey Drill.

RoDeO 10-22-2020 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaROCaM (Post 3646849)
Do you need the whole foot completely flat on the ground to make an athletic move? When a running back cuts and pushes off the ground to change direction, does their whole foot have to be firmly flat on the ground? When a skier makes a quick turn, do they have to have the entire ski flat on the snow surface? When a hockey player or ice skater makes a move, do they have to have the entire blade flat on the ice?

Are we not talking about dynamic movement?

The debate is whether the hips rotate before or after brace isnt it? Just because the toe or part of the foot is touching ground doesn't mean they are bracing. There is a transition phase of weight going from rear to front and it is smooth and dynamic. The hips need to be rotating into strong brace. The power acceleration phase doesn't happen until that strong brace because your core muscles need something to brace against. At that moment where strong brace occurs the disc should either be in the power pocket position or almost in that position from reachback. Also at that moment you should have maximum hip to shoulder separation angles. That is the load that powerfully unwind the upper body or pulls it through into release. If you didn't start turning the hios until strong brace there is or can be no lag which provides the necessary power. Why? Because the hips continue to rotate all the way through weight transition. If one were to delay that until strong brace there is no lag time because the upper body starts to turn open at that point.

RoDeO 10-22-2020 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3646924)
Please show me these drills you speak of. Looks like you created your own drill, the Topsy Turvey Drill.

Regardless of how ridiculous I looked (it wasn't a drill BTW) the whole point was to see if driving laterally created hip rotation. Who cares what my upper body was or wasnt doing, the hips weren't rotating. You of all people knows that you don't get hip rotation just from moving laterally.

RoDeO 10-22-2020 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3646922)
As I've said several times before. It is not the intention though, is it?

"This is the FEEL that you want to cultivate."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC-e1NXR6mk&t=4m15s

Whether it's intention or not, the fact is that the hips start to rotate just before brace not after brace.

sidewinder22 10-22-2020 01:37 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3646938)
Regardless of how ridiculous I looked (it wasn't a drill BTW) the whole point was to see if driving laterally created hip rotation. Who cares what my upper body was or wasnt doing, the hips weren't rotating. You of all people knows that you don't get hip rotation just from moving laterally.

It did create hip rotation even though you drove more upward than lateral. You are using all your might trying to resist that hip rotation as your arms counter the rotation, just like walking, instead of committing to the swing.

Your rear femur/knee starts pointed away from target and ends up pointed at camera. Pelvis is closed taking off rear leg and open landing on front leg.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1603344764

sidewinder22 10-22-2020 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaROCaM (Post 3646025)
When discussing levers, do you have any solid evidence that lever length doesn't matter? I'm talking about evidence that is based in physics, biomechanics, etc. (not personal beliefs or small sample size anecdotes)

The equation v=2piRF seems to say that longer levers would lead to greater velocity. Is that something you can speak to?

The texts/studies I linked above: can you refute them legitimately?

Also still waiting on your answers to these questions regarding levers:

Why is it easier to pry something with a longer bar?

Why is it easier to turn a nut/bolt with a longer wrench?

"This study shows that body height, body weight, hand length and arm span positively influence to BTV(Ball Throwing Velocity) during the 3-step running throw in team handball."
https://files.eric.ed.gov/fulltext/EJ1118741.pdf


RoDeO 10-22-2020 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3646943)
It did create hip rotation even though you drove more upward than lateral. You are using all your might trying to resist that hip rotation as your arms counter the rotation, just like walking, instead of committing to the swing.

Your rear femur/knee starts pointed away from target and ends up pointed at camera. Pelvis is closed taking off rear leg and open landing on front leg.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1603344764

I wasn't resisting no rotation. It's impossible to resist something that isn't present. I intentionally didn't try to initiate hip rotation in my shift to see if coming into the brace were to cause a rotation. None was present at all. I did it again and same result

https://youtu.be/ZwaFNtjvOtE


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.