Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Swirly Star and S-Line (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125640)

Mocheez 09-02-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThomasOrion (Post 3492325)
yeah Swirly Star/S-Line discs are a fail - they almost all come out a muddy chuddy color and not only are they not appealing but difficult to see in the wild. So yeah, Discraft amazingly did the swirl WELL and Trilogy is legit with its swirl and now MVP, Streamline has excellent plastic and swirls/colors. So ....Innova/Discmania -step it up! ALSO, figure out how to NOT have flashing on every new disc I buy, its getting annoying and my fingertips don't appreciate it.

I donít mind the flashing. If all the flashing is removed, there is a good chance they took part of the rim with it.

Casey 1988 09-03-2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocheez (Post 3493110)
I don’t mind the flashing. If all the flashing is removed, there is a good chance they took part of the rim with it.

It is the molds that in Star get the mega flashing that I do not like, some Champion get this too. It is annoying that Innova has these few molds that can get this way with a bunch of flashing so much the disc can't be thrown or the disc will actually give cuts to hand if thrown hard until a person has broken in the disc. Quickest way to go about getting Star plastic discs with flashing worn off is to throw it into a basket.

ThomasOrion 09-03-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mocheez (Post 3493110)
I donít mind the flashing. If all the flashing is removed, there is a good chance they took part of the rim with it.

Well there are MANY discs I've bought that have no flashing at all - and some companies don't have flashing on discs. So its not 'they didn't want to ruin the disc' its more 'they don't have good enough quality control to make discs without unexpected sharp edges'

Flashing wasn't always the norm. And every MVP,AXIOM,STREAMLINE disc I've ever purchased has 0 flashing. It can be done.

Streets 09-03-2019 11:54 AM

This thread is why I buy only stock/production run stuff.

thirtydirtybirds 09-03-2019 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey 1988 (Post 3493122)
It is the molds that in Star get the mega flashing that I do not like, some Champion get this too. It is annoying that Innova has these few molds that can get this way with a bunch of flashing so much the disc can't be thrown or the disc will actually give cuts to hand if thrown hard until a person has broken in the disc. Quickest way to go about getting Star plastic discs with flashing worn off is to throw it into a basket.

No, the quickest way is just put the disc down on some concrete, flashing down, and swirl it around a couple times. Works like a charm and takes 30 seconds.

Casey 1988 09-03-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thirtydirtybirds (Post 3493421)
No, the quickest way is just put the disc down on some concrete, flashing down, and swirl it around a couple times. Works like a charm and takes 30 seconds.

I had a disc in 2017 that had the flashing so bad that even that trick you mentioned did not work only made the single thing of flashing become multi-spots of flashing, I tried it just made the flashing worse I did it for 5 minutes. We were talking about 1/4 to 1/2 a Centimeter tall and about 1-2 mm wide. It was like Innova used way to much plastic for the disc, it was as stiff as the Jolly launcher Champion but in Star when new. Only when I used the disc putting on a windy day into baskets, I could throw the disc. That Star midrange was so beefy when new it was like a Drone. I did let the disc sit outside in the sun on dark pavement to soften it in so it could feel more like Star the way it normally feels when new.

Casey 1988 09-03-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Streets (Post 3493275)
This thread is why I buy only stock/production run stuff.

Yep but even then I get problems, Champion Destroyer 170 grams so stiff it might not be legal for Use? I had to hot car the disc for an hour to have it not be that stiff, the other 167 gram Champion Destroyer was nearly the same way but just more like Jolly Launcher. Also the 170 gram was an I-Dye that had an odd red Plus + being rest of disc was no color at all just the base off white that Champion is.

fishballer06 09-04-2019 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phishbiscuits (Post 3493008)
Finally, I am alarmed at the price increases. Even retailers I love are hiking up prices to $29 on "tour series" discs and other "limited runs." I worry that this might become a new normal since people buy all of the high-price discs.

I think part of that issue is because the manufacturer's are limiting the dealers to how many of certain discs that they can buy. So while the manufacturer's might be selling the discs for $20-23 a piece (while they're in stock), the retailer's are able to get $25-30 a piece because of the limited availability and the demand for them.

It sucks as a consumer, but at least whenever you buy from a retailer, you can usually see what the physical disc looks like before you purchase it.