Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Bags / Carts / Straps / Tags (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Pound Carlton bag review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133350)

doth_savek 02-05-2019 06:10 PM

Pound Carlton bag review

Hi everyone. I recently bought a Pound Carlton bag with the intention of giving a long detailed review on youtube. I thought it might belong here as a resource for all you bag nerds like me:

https://youtu.be/uNraVV1s6yw

Feel free to throw any comments, questions, or requests my way. I have an Upper Parks Shift on its way for the same test and review process.

Also I have a longer review on that same channel for the newest version on the Pound Octothorpe:
https://youtu.be/QYANrrO7deE

Dr.Smooth 02-05-2019 10:20 PM

That thing looks badass. Like the colors you chose as well.

Man, they might have done it made a bag that is better than a grip.

cjman 02-06-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth (Post 3413130)
Man, they might have done it made a bag that is better than a grip.

I had an original design Grip, then an A and a C Grip. Was a pretty big fan. As soon as the Octothorpe touched my hands and back, it was clear the Grip had been out done.

The materials, design, and comfort of the Carlton are unmatched. Plus, they're hand made in the USA.

VictorB 02-06-2019 05:07 PM

That's the color combo I want!! (I'm going to build with maroon zippers though)

Really cool bag and nice review. I'll be ordering one of these soon enough.

Dr.Smooth 02-07-2019 08:34 PM

If indeed the quality, comfort and functionality is superior it seems that the price suggests that as well.

Aren't these about a 100 bucks more than a grip?

F. Howl 02-07-2019 08:50 PM

I think it's an odd design...why have things hidden away? I do love the crazy colorways they have going on, but prefer to have all my discs on display and have them be the highlight of the bag.
I'd wouldn't mind owning an Octothorpe, though.

ToddL 02-08-2019 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cjman (Post 3413413)
I had an original design Grip, then an A and a C Grip. Was a pretty big fan. As soon as the Octothorpe touched my hands and back, it was clear the Grip had been out done.

The materials, design, and comfort of the Carlton are unmatched. Plus, they're hand made in the USA.

Anyone can take a sack, throw some strips of fabric on it, and call it a backpack.
It takes some actual experience to design a backpack with good straps, proper support, and proper weight distribution.

jeffmonty 02-08-2019 08:52 PM

I guess you can put me down as the only one that doesn't like anything about this bag, other than the quality of workmanship, I guess. Maybe it's comfortable too, I don't know. But...
I don't like the velcro insert, or the insert storage design that you have to cram stuff into, making the discs in the main compartment equally crammed in and hard to access. If I was gifted this bag, I doubt I would even use the insert.

Seemed to me the goal was to make a quality bag that basically just looked different than most other backpack bags.

Alright, let me have it....

Titan037 02-09-2019 05:31 AM

I mean you do have some good points, at the same time though you don稚 necessarily know if everything is going to be cramped until you put your own stuff in there. If you saw the videos Eli did, even with stuff in the center pocket and discs on the outside pockets, nothing looked difficult to insert or remove. I知 using a grip bx and a ridge roller with r3 box currently I was nuts over this bag while it was being designed. I don稚 think Levi would overlook something as important as cramped storage.

Jolt 02-09-2019 01:07 PM

Nice and long Review :)

I have a Octo and a BX15 . . i would like a Carlton but my two bags complement each other fine.

There are a few things i like to change on both my bags. . but overall i like them both

cjman 02-09-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddL (Post 3414787)
Anyone can take a sack, throw some strips of fabric on it, and call it a backpack.
It takes some actual experience to design a backpack with good straps, proper support, and proper weight distribution.

Wait, who are you talking about? Pound bags? Levi, the founder, used to work for Mystery Ranch. Check them out. If you're suggesting Levi threw this thing together, you're mad.

Who in the DG bag industry has more experience designing proper packs than Levi?

ToddL 02-10-2019 12:47 AM

I was agreeing with you. Pound/Mystery Ranch does it right. Everyone else just sews strips of fabric onto a sack.

cjman 02-10-2019 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddL (Post 3415351)
I was agreeing with you. Pound/Mystery Ranch does it right. Everyone else just sews strips of fabric onto a sack.

😂 Sorry about my misunderstanding, ToddL!

Casey 1988 02-11-2019 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ToddL (Post 3415351)

Not quite all of them, thinking most of the Upper Parks models minus one the Urban, the hipster model. The majority of other brands do this have a square they add the pockets to on the sides or above the discs. Infinite is the other brand with two models are not just squares with the pockets on the sides, one that is a modified copy on a Upper Parks Focus and the Sling.

ToddL 02-11-2019 09:14 AM

It was a comment about the straps and back support, not the details of the sack part.

doth_savek 02-11-2019 03:44 PM

I have updated this review by recording it a 2nd time after having adjusted my views on the Carlton.
Here is the new version https://youtu.be/TQ6rrRtk_4I

I wish I could edit my initial post to add this link but its not immediately clear to me on mobil how to do this. Maybe when back on my compiter I can figure it out.

Jowie 05-03-2019 04:35 PM

At first I was ambivalent (if not outright disappointed), but now that I've had some time, I am beginning to really appreciate the versatility that this design offers. After a lot of thought, I will pick one up once thee custom tool comes out.

@doth savek Thanks for the review! I really appreciate having such a good look at the bag before buying. Grateful for all the time and thought that went into that!

Mr. Butlertron 05-03-2019 09:29 PM

Just looked at the new production run of the Pound Carlton bag (preorder), tempted to get one. Did I miss something or was there nothing stating what the webbing and spacer mesh colors would be for each bag overall color choices?

halfbreed 05-05-2019 04:07 AM

Not that it matters, but does anyone else find the Carlton design a little... uh, phallic?

I mean:
https://i.imgur.com/pARXkYU.jpg vs.

(NSFW for an illustration of a you know what)

If I bought one, the juvenile in me would constantly make anatomical references to the different compartments.

DoWork 05-05-2019 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfbreed (Post 3448074)
Not that it matters, but does anyone else find the Carlton design a little... uh, phallic?

I mean:
https://i.imgur.com/pARXkYU.jpg vs.

(NSFW for an illustration of a you know what)

If I bought one, the juvenile in me would constantly make anatomical references to the different compartments.

Hahahahahaha never occurred to me- but cannot be unseen. Imminent deletion in 3... 2... 1...

Jolt 05-06-2019 04:44 AM

The normal Carlton looks more like itエs wearing a thong ;)

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...g?v=1552606149

halfbreed 05-07-2019 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3448321)
The normal Carlton looks more like itエs wearing a thong ;)

I think that's the older version. Seems like they simplified the paneling.

Not sure which version looks weirder. The one you posted looks like it's wearing a women's swimsuit when the foreskin is pulled back and the urethra is open:

https://i.imgur.com/fjUv73c.png

Jolt 05-07-2019 06:05 AM

Quote:

I think that's the older version. Seems like they simplified the paneling
The simplified paneling is just for the stock Carlton to bring the price down, the Custom will still have the "tong" front. . but you can get the bag in one color

robdeforge 05-09-2019 10:45 AM

if I had the $ to drop on a new bag, I'd love to pick one of these up. but I have a BX15 in use and an old B15 that I should probably try to sell...

still this is an awesome review and good resource for people looking for more info about this bag!

Jolt 05-27-2019 05:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Custom builder for the Carlton is now live

Iエm thinking of something like this...IF Levi can build it

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1558947708

DoWork 05-27-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3455376)
The Custom builder for the Carlton is now live

Iエm thinking of something like this...IF Levi can build it

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...1&d=1558947708

I’ve used the octothorpe builder probably 100 times. I am continuously so close to pulling the trigger on a custom, and feel like it’s a great value over a non-custom to have it just the way you want it and in a super unique color way.

Levi is slaying the top tier of DG bag building. I love everything they’re doing.

Jolt 05-27-2019 09:48 AM

I have a Octo and a toolbox ( and a grip BX ), so iエm really donエt need the Carlton. . but to have one custom made is SO appealing.. . and SO expensive for me here in Sweden :(

Iエm waiting for a reply from Pound on if they can make the bag in the pic above. . ( you can not chose diffrent zipper colors in the builder, so i dont know if i can get it with orange zippers on the side pockets )

Jolt 05-29-2019 04:53 PM

Fun to see Drew use the stock Carlton at the Portland Open

Jolt 06-12-2019 04:39 AM

A few week ago i asked Pound if they could make the bag in post #25, with the change to the zipper. .. but i never got a reply.

Is that one of the "dont ask" thing you canエt ask them about?

Really want that Carlton but hard to make an order if they donエt reply

Mr. Butlertron 06-12-2019 12:41 PM

Hard to say. They're probably busy trying to get the preorder Carltons out before early June turns into mid or late June.

Mr. Butlertron 06-13-2019 10:51 PM

Checked the pound website, pre-order Carlton bags are in the mail!

Jolt 06-14-2019 06:11 AM

I wonder what the Rainfly to the Carlton will look like?

I really want to know that before i order my Carlton, donエt want to pay for shipping to Sweden twice ( if i want the rainfly later )

damagedLIVER 06-15-2019 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolt (Post 3461270)
A few week ago i asked Pound if they could make the bag in post #25, with the change to the zipper. .. but i never got a reply.

Is that one of the "dont ask" thing you canエt ask them about?

Really want that Carlton but hard to make an order if they donエt reply

I don't know if Levi stuck around for the Beaver State Fling, but I saw him everyday at the Portland Open. Maybe he is still on the road promoting the brand and hasn't had time to respond yet. Good luck getting the bag built, I really like the Orange!

Titan037 06-15-2019 02:53 PM

Just pulled the trigger on a stock carlton, being shipped out immediately and even got a little surprise coming my way due to special circumstances with my order. Levi provides a 20/10 experience for me and I should have my bag no later than Tuesday

CreemCheese 06-15-2019 06:51 PM

Well done review

Titan037 06-18-2019 04:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Just got it yesterday and really pleased with the overall design, it is definitely super comfortable and can hold my whole bag utilitizing a bit of the haul pockets. As you can see it looks like Levi adjusted the putter pockets as i can fit 3 putters in there comfortably. I got this bag mainly because unlike any other bag its designed to carry a water bladder which I I need in Texas. After putting everything in, I知 really excited to get to the course I have been a huge fan of top loading backpacks rather than the designs similar to the grip, octo, etc. The bag feels super light even with 23 discs in there with still plenty of space in the center and haul pockets. So far pretty pleased with the purchase and the Carlton will run the summer and winter while my ridge will run the winter and fall unless i decide i need water more than a built in seat

Jolt 06-18-2019 06:31 PM

With 3 putters in the putter pocket how difficult is it to take out the discs just under the pocket, looks like a very small "gap"

Titan037 06-18-2019 07:02 PM

It takes slight maneuvering but the pocket sits high enough where it isn稚 as much of a problem if I went with a 3 disc sleeve instead. I知 going out for a couple rounds, I値l do some filming and chime in with maiden voyage thoughts later

doth_savek 06-19-2019 12:04 AM

Last time I took my Carlton out for a round I removed all the discs from the main disc storage and put them in my haul pockets. It holds about the same number of discs and they are easier to see and pull in and out. Then you have the main area to store all your other items. Give it a shot, its nice to have options for storage layout.

Titan037 06-19-2019 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doth_savek (Post 3464008)
Last time I took my Carlton out for a round I removed all the discs from the main disc storage and put them in my haul pockets. It holds about the same number of discs and they are easier to see and pull in and out. Then you have the main area to store all your other items. Give it a shot, its nice to have options for storage layout.

Huh, interesting, I値l give it a shot