Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Hyzer-Flip P&A Thrower (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133387)

Stable 02-10-2019 06:28 PM

Hyzer-Flip P&A Thrower

I'm looking to put the PA4 (400g) back in my bag as a thrower. Hyzer-Flipping a P&A mold is really important for me since I play a lot of wooded courses.

What P&A molds do you all use for really straight predictable shots? I'd like to hear what other players like in this spot. I only throw premium plastics but if you choose to throw lower grade plastics with putters what is it?

SD86 02-10-2019 06:53 PM

First of all, I really like the Pa4 as a straight flying disc. :thmbup:

I also think the Pure is a good disc for shots in the woods like you're describing. A well-thrown Deputy will get 'er done, as well.

And for shorter shots, for me it's the Polecat.

Marmoset 02-10-2019 06:59 PM

There are several that I’ve used and liked.
APX
Magic
Colt
Spin

Most of these might need some seasoning before they hyzer-flip for you (depending on how hard you throw). They start out fairly neutral/stable.

Throwing putters is 95% of my game and my local courses are heavily wooded. I can vouch for the molds listed above. However, my preferred turnover putter thrower is a beat version of my stable putter. That is currently a plain Jane Aviar PandA. The Spin is the time not one on the list above that will definitely flip out of the box regardless of power.

If you are open to lids, Sonics are fantastic for that shot, too

SD86 02-10-2019 07:15 PM

One disc I forgot to add, and in line with Marmoset's comments: an Aviar3 (not AviarX3, just Aviar3), especially a DX one, might do you very well. It's not understable, but it's not badly overstable, and flies pretty darn straight when thrown with a little juice behind it. And playing in the woods... it'll season in pretty quickly for ya, be it in DX or Star.

The Albatross 02-10-2019 07:26 PM

I throw the Gateway Wizard in their Sure Grip plastic. I don’t believe in calling certain base plastics “lower grade.” They are grippier, glidier, and season well for exactly what you are wanting. I have a bunch of broken-in Wizards and KC Aviars that can slow-flip-to-glide in ways that no “premium plastic” disc can do.

Marmoset 02-10-2019 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marmoset (Post 3415504)
The Spin is the time not one on the list above that will definitely flip out of the box regardless of power.

Sorry, I got auto-corrected here and didn’t notice until the edit window closed. That should have said , “The Spin is the only one on the list above that will flip out of the box regardless of power.”

If you can throw a putter pretty far (290’+) then a bunch of other options open up. Slightly overstable discs like the Aviar will make the shots you describe... if you throw them hard enough. What distances are you looking at for the straight or hyzer flip shots?

DanJon 02-10-2019 07:46 PM

DX Small Bead Aviar.

Laser beams.

Casey 1988 02-10-2019 07:57 PM

I use if I am not using a Shark in Pro or Star both 175 grams for this shot a #2 Upshot in Prostyle plastic 166 grams. I do not like to use the #2 Upshot as much for things other then uphill/downhill putting as the disc is not that great in higher winds but can take wind. The Shark will float like a putter can and Dave Dunpace says that mold in his opinion is the best all around disc mold. When I use the #2 Upshot over the Shark is when I have a beyond tight gap at the approach shot that even my other discs will not fit. Also price for the #2 Upshot in both regular baseline and Prostyle plastic is really Cheep online though Amazon via GGGT and GGGT.

Casey 1988 02-10-2019 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Albatross (Post 3415516)
I throw the Gateway Wizard in their Sure Grip plastic. I don’t believe in calling certain base plastics “lower grade.” They are grippier, glidier, and season well for exactly what you are wanting. I have a bunch of broken-in Wizards and KC Aviars that can slow-flip-to-glide in ways that no “premium plastic” disc can do.

What you are describing is mid level plastic. The plastics are baseline, mid level, and Premium. Some discs plastics are between levels like XT are between baseline and mid level as is G Star between mid level and premium.

DiscinFiend 02-10-2019 08:18 PM

I currently have a beat to crap D-Line P2 in my bag as my understable putter. I also bag a seasoned S-Line P2 for straight shots and a Sky God (C-Line) when I need some fade. I honestly throw my understable D-Line P2 more than my understable mid. Having a flippy putter is underrated IMO. I see A LOT more understable mids than putters in most peoples bags. HYZER FLIP!

I also recommend the Nova. If you don’t have clean form it will tell you.