Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Infinite Discs Sphinx (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131469)

SD86 06-22-2018 02:56 PM

Infinite Discs Sphinx

I was surprised that my search for a Sphinx thread yielded no results, so here goes a new one:

Just got my 167g I-blend Sphinx in, and it is yet another grand slam home run for Infinite Discs. :thmbup: The I-blend plastic ("I" stands for "Infinite", I think) is not Shimmer Star or GStar, as I'd feared it might be. It's like the softer Star plastic in my Star Roc3 and Mako3 from a couple of years ago, maybe like Pro that didn't quite make it to full-blown firm Star material. But it feels just fine, grips well.

The Sphinx's numbers are 9,6,-3,1. Not sure if the glide is quite that, but the Sphinx is understable fresh out of the box. Like a beginning-to-season-in Star Sidewinder or fresh Fury kind of understable. It turned over nicely on a couple of drives, with a bit of fade back. (One drive was downhill, so it had some more room to fade back.).

The Sphinx is right there as a Speed 9 Mamba/Vulcan type of disc. I look forward to seeing how durable the I-blend plastic is, and if the Sphinx holds its numbers or gets even more US and flippier. I also look forward to testing it as a roller; I suspect it will be a good one.

If this keeps up, I might end up with an All-Infinite bag(!).

PMantle 06-22-2018 03:36 PM

Is the wing the same as one of the Innova 9s?

SD86 06-22-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PMantle (Post 3322227)
Is the wing the same as one of the Innova 9s?

I'll see if I can take and upload some pics later on, but I pulled out some Valks, Sidewinders, and my one Star Roadrunner and eyeballed them with the Sphinx.

The bottom piece of the Sphinx is like the Roadrunner. They both have underside rims that "bulge", i.e. are slightly convex, while the Sidewinder and Valkyrie are concave. The top piece of the Sphinx is not like the Roadrunner nor Sidewinder at all; it's a lot more Valkyrie-"ish". So maybe the Sphinx is a Valk/Roadrunner combination.

Grippenripp 06-22-2018 05:08 PM

A valkrunner? Sounds fun!

rayoflight 06-22-2018 07:33 PM

I'd be interested to hear how fast it wears, if anyone wants to check back in after throwing the disc for a couple months. These understable-when-fresh drivers can either get better or worse as they age depending on how fast they get flippy and how much you can control them after they get to 7/10 or 6/10 territory.

ILUVSMGS18 06-22-2018 07:56 PM

Is consistently flippier than a RR out of the box? If so I may grab a Sphinx (or an Aries) and a Pharoah. The only thing I hate about Infinite is the $150 free shipping. Hopefully they will branch out to MSt and DGC, if they pull a DD like move, watch for the fire sale.

RFrance 06-23-2018 11:21 AM

I've been throwing a Sphinx for about a month now and like it. It is my hyzer flip to laser straight with a slight fade at the end disc. It does have some sweet glide. I'm still trying to figure out the nuances on a flat throw. It will turn in a little wind but when calm I'm getting "S" curve to straight with a fade. Like I said, still trying to figure it out. I think I get longer distance with the Sphinx than my RR. It has potential for a longer forehand disc with the glide and being understable. I'm not sure how long it will stay in the bag but so far it looks promising.

SD86 06-23-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILUVSMGS18 (Post 3322295)
Is consistently flippier than a RR out of the box? If so I may grab a Sphinx (or an Aries) and a Pharoah. The only thing I hate about Infinite is the $150 free shipping. Hopefully they will branch out to MSt and DGC, if they pull a DD like move, watch for the fire sale.

I haven't thrown my Star Roadrunner in a good long while, but I can safely say the Sphinx is more understable out of the box than a fresh, new Star Sidewinder. Also, in my range work today, the Sphinx showed a tendency to fade back pretty nicely at the end of its flight, which was especially good when it turned over into a mild headwind.

And yes, Infinite's shipping costs have gone up and are getting bad, especially if one orders multiple discs. It used to be they were cheaper than DGC but that was offset by the shipping costs. Now, Infinite is much higher. I generally go to them when I have to be sure of the color, or if they're the only ones with the disc I want in the weights I want, and I tend to order fewer discs to keep the shipping from getting really bad...

dehaas 06-23-2018 02:28 PM

Iíd be curious to know what mold pieces this disc uses. Certain types of shots I prefer the sidewinder to the roadrunner and vice versa...wonder where this would fit in.

I was excited about the tdx, but for me it was a weird disc. Flew more like a cd2 than anything else I felt. I didnít keep it long enough to beat it to flippy, mine was a 167...not like it was super heavy.

TKWolverine 06-23-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD86 (Post 3322201)
I was surprised that my search for a Sphinx thread yielded no results, so here goes a new one:

Just got my 167g I-blend Sphinx in, and it is yet another grand slam home run for Infinite Discs. :thmbup: The I-blend plastic ("I" stands for "Infinite", I think) is not Shimmer Star or GStar, as I'd feared it might be. It's like the softer Star plastic in my Star Roc3 and Mako3 from a couple of years ago, maybe like Pro that didn't quite make it to full-blown firm Star material. But it feels just fine, grips well.

The Sphinx's numbers are 9,6,-3,1. Not sure if the glide is quite that, but the Sphinx is understable fresh out of the box. Like a beginning-to-season-in Star Sidewinder or fresh Fury kind of understable. It turned over nicely on a couple of drives, with a bit of fade back. (One drive was downhill, so it had some more room to fade back.).

The Sphinx is right there as a Speed 9 Mamba/Vulcan type of disc. I look forward to seeing how durable the I-blend plastic is, and if the Sphinx holds its numbers or gets even more US and flippier. I also look forward to testing it as a roller; I suspect it will be a good one.

If this keeps up, I might end up with an All-Infinite bag(!).

I've been thinking about an All-Infinity bag. I'm a noodle-armed geezer, so I rarely throw distance drivers. I'm also a minimalist, so I only need six discs: slightly OS fairway, slightly US fairway, slightly OS mid, slightly US mid, an approach putter, and a putting putter. Depending on the Anubis, I could be set.

Hey, Infinity, if someone won the Michigan Senior Olympics with an all-Infinity bag, would you sponsor them? Just asking for a friend... ;)

SD86 06-24-2018 10:09 PM

Garrett Gurthie (hope I spelled that right) used a Sphinx at the Utah Open to throw a roller on the triple mando hole (no. 10, I think). Did pretty well, too. 'Course, GG throws a little farther than I do. ;)

BrotherDave 06-24-2018 11:07 PM

SPHINX!

Brockness Monster 02-25-2019 06:21 PM

Picked up an I-Blend Sphinx. Plastic feels exactly like the newest run of Pro Teebirds, but of course the Sphinx was out first. I presume that Innova saw that people liked I-Blend and were like "People hate the way Pro Teebirds fly, I wonder if this plastic will fly better". Haven't been able to throw it yet, but I plan to remedy that this afternoon.

josiahv 10-22-2019 10:31 AM

Reviving an older thread. Not sure why this is in "Other" instead of "Discs".

I just ordered a MF Glow C-blend Sphinx. What am getting into? Hoping for a longer FD type of flight when new - a complement to my champ roadrunner.

SD86 10-22-2019 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josiahv (Post 3510479)
Reviving an older thread. Not sure why this is in "Other" instead of "Discs".

Infinite is an "other" brand of discs; ergo, the choice of that label.

Quote:

Originally Posted by josiahv (Post 3510479)
I just ordered a MF Glow C-blend Sphinx. What am getting into? Hoping for a longer FD type of flight when new - a complement to my champ roadrunner.

You are getting into a whole lotta fun. The Sphinx is allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, and it flies very well. It might be a good bit like your Champ Roadrunner, especially at first, but the good news is that you get to have fun throwing it while figuring all that out. :thmbup: :popcorn:

josiahv 10-22-2019 08:04 PM

Ah, that makes sense regarding the "other" I thought that was the thread "category"

josiahv 10-22-2019 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD86 (Post 3510499)
You are getting into a whole lotta fun. The Sphinx is allegedly a Valkyrie top and Roadrunner bottom, and it flies very well. It might be a good bit like your Champ Roadrunner, especially at first, but the good news is that you get to have fun throwing it while figuring all that out. :thmbup: :popcorn:

I was hoping it would be noticeably more stable than my roadrunner in the metal flake glow plastic. Have you thrown that run specifically?

TKWolverine 10-23-2019 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josiahv (Post 3510778)
I was hoping it would be noticeably more stable than my roadrunner in the metal flake glow plastic. Have you thrown that run specifically?

I have, and I think you'll be pleased. The metal flake glow is considerably more stable than the I-Blend.