Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Ideal size of a green? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133181)

RootsDiscGolf 01-15-2019 01:56 PM

Ideal size of a green?

I know circle 1 or 2, but in course design how close can the basket be to water, OB or crazy elevation change? 20ft? 10ft? you tell me. I am okay with anything from 10ft out, but others may not agree. Thoughts?

elmexdela 01-15-2019 02:12 PM

put a basket in the water i dont care cuz i dont miss putts

DavidSauls 01-15-2019 02:13 PM

No limit.

DavidSauls 01-15-2019 02:17 PM

One of the courses I often play has baskets sited on crazy elevation changes, and as close as 3' to OB water (a creek, not a lose-your-disc pond).

Like much else in course design, it can be well done, or poorly.

Jenga54 01-15-2019 02:17 PM

depends.

#1 Keep Safety in mind. Players and Non-players
#2 Keep fun in mind - is it fun? Its is reasonable palm sweat, or gratuitous and not-fun palm sweat?
#3 Make it unique, memorable, wanna try that again type of feeling

I have a basket about 8' from an OB on a 220' hole - it's a property line against an open field, with an 18" railroad tie wall along to define the boundary. It means the safer your drive lands, the farther from the OB you're putting toward. It's risk/reward with the drive placement. It's an easy hole that you can take a 2,3, or 4.

If the water is like a clean-ish lake, with shallow slope, put that basket or fairway close, use it for OB. If it's a nasty, stinky, stagnant sewer ditch, get away from that. It's not risk/reward - it's gross. I'm not going anywhere near it, and it's not fun to play safe, keep the discs in my bag, and move on to the next hole.

scarpfish 01-15-2019 03:09 PM

The knock against putting baskets too close to OB is that people will use it as a backstop. A penalty isn't so punitive if you can easily make your comeback putt from your drop.

So, if you're going to put a basket within 15 ft or so of OB, I'd suggest using drop zones for such situations. Granted, each hole if different.

GoobyPls 01-15-2019 03:21 PM

My biggest gripe with Alum Creek near Columbus was a hole like this. There was a 4' dropoff 10-12' or so behind the basket directly into a lake. I can't imagine how many putters that hole ate.

chosenmatrix 01-15-2019 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3402878)
No limit.

Soldier of the mutha effin tank!

brutalbrutus 01-15-2019 03:35 PM

Just mix it up. Don't have 18 holes with identical greens. Have a couple with close OB, a couple with an artificially elevated basket, putting some at the edge of or on slopes, a couple guarded by trees, some wide open... etc.

BuiltTooLong 01-15-2019 03:40 PM

A mix is always best. Just be aware that if you make the green too extreme, there is no risk/reward, only risk You will then be left with only boring ultra-conservative play. Also, at a certain point results can get flukey, making the green more of a gimmick than a challenge.