Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Gateway wizard evo p (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131495)

Berger 06-25-2018 09:50 AM

Gateway wizard evo p

I have been putting with an rff and 4s wizard and bought an evo p wizard online. How does it compare and what does it feel like. I kinda like a soft flexible type putter. I prefer the rff over 4s but like both a good bit. I also have a sss but it's a little stiff for me. It's purple.

Grippenripp 06-25-2018 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Berger (Post 3322789)
I have been putting with an rff and 4s wizard and bought an evo p wizard online. How does it compare and what does it feel like. I kinda like a soft flexible type putter. I prefer the rff over 4s but like both a good bit. I also have a sss but it's a little stiff for me. It's purple.

Evo P is a premium star like plastic. Theyre calling it just platinum now i think. Not great for putting

Audible Vibration 06-25-2018 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippenripp (Post 3322847)
Evo P is a premium star like plastic. Theyre calling it just platinum now i think. Not great for putting

He’s right about it being star like plastic and now only being called Platinum. From what I’ve noticed, “Evo” or “Evolution” refers to any of their premium plastics. They currently offer 2 Evo plastics: Platinum (opaque) and Diamond (translucent).

FWIW, the premium plastics don’t seem to be more OS than their baseline counterparts. So it may still be OK to putt with stability-wise, as long as you’re okay with the feel of the plastic.

swhite 06-25-2018 03:30 PM

I don't putt with Evolution Wizards, but have thrown them, and consider them to be a bit less high speed stable than PWP Wizards and Soft Wizards (when all are new).

The Evolution plastic on Wizards is fairly soft and grippy (but, not as flexible as rff or ssss), so it might be pretty good at catching chains.

notroman 06-25-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3322961)
I don't putt with Evolution Wizards, but have thrown them, and consider them to be a bit less high speed stable than PWP Wizards and Soft Wizards (when all are new).

The Evolution plastic on Wizards is fairly soft and grippy (but, not as flexible as rff or ssss), so it might be pretty good at catching chains.

Depends on the run. I've thrown plenty of Evo Wizards that are more overstable in flight than any of the base plastic ones I've tried. You just have to pay attention to the shoulder/height of the disc. The flatter ones fly straighter out of the box and beat into turnover discs, the taller ones fly more overstable and beat into stable.

etdefender19 06-25-2018 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grippenripp (Post 3322847)

I putt with a Wizard and did not like the Evo P plastic for putting at all. Didn't really like it as a throwing putter either!

Find one in RDG's fossil (not to be confused with fossil fuel - which I don't like as much) plastic and thank me later. They're available on RDG's site as we speak. While you're there, pick up one of the new Stegos for all of your short utility needs

ODRB 06-25-2018 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3322967)
I putt with a Wizard and did not like the Evo P plastic for putting at all. Didn't really like it as a throwing putter either!

Find one in RDG's fossil (not to be confused with fossil fuel - which I don't like as much) plastic and thank me later. They're available on RDG's site as we speak. While you're there, pick up one of the new Stegos for all of your short utility needs

Fossil Wizards are decent. Not super consistent though -- there are somewhat-stiffer ones that are quite nice and reasonably OS to start. And softer ones that are very low profile and pretty flippy off the shelf.

Wish we could get that OG first run Scale fossil plastic back.

Grippenripp 06-25-2018 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swhite (Post 3322961)

I have a Diamond thats exactly even in HSS to PWP plastic. PWP is by far the best plastic they make. IMO.

Grippenripp 06-25-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etdefender19 (Post 3322967)

Way to sell it! I already have my OS putter covered but thanks for the advice. The fossil Lizard Wizards are nice but Im a PWP for life kinda golfer.

Putt for D'oh 06-25-2018 06:02 PM

The disc in my profile pic is an Evo wizard and I’m not a fan. I putt with glow or $$$ or $$$ superglow wizards.
The Evo could be good for throwing but I prefer a lower profile. This disc has such a high shoulder it feels like a completely different disc than any other wizard I’ve grabbed. As far as putting I described it when it was new as putting with a super ball. It is star like plastic but very bouncy and rubbery. I wondered how it might break in but I dont know if I would get to that point of use with it.