Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Goodbye to the Teerex? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26091)

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 01:42 AM

Goodbye to the Teerex?

I was at my local pro shop the other day and was saddened to hear that the Teerex might be going away. The DX were already off the shelf and the owner said the Star were going soon too. Can anybody else confirm this? Not cool Innova. I love the Teerex, despite its seedy mold changes in the past. My 1st run molds (i.e. not Teerex X) are money sidearm drivers. If true I need to stock up on some 1st runs.

djjeremiahj 12-19-2010 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyfoodstamp (Post 619898)
I was at my local pro shop the other day and was saddened to hear that the Teerex might be going away. The DX were already off the shelf and the owner said the Star were going soon too. Can anybody else confirm this? Not cool Innova. I love the Teerex, despite its seedy mold changes in the past. My 1st run molds (i.e. not Teerex X) are money sidearm drivers. If true I need to stock up on some 1st runs.

move up to the xcaliber....

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 01:47 AM

Xcalibur is maybe a little to much disc for me.

gcr_russell 12-19-2010 01:49 AM

I dont think it is true, but just to check I posted the question to Dave Dunipace on his PDGA thread. Expect an answer by tomorrow at the latest. I would be bummed as Im also a TeeRex lover.

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 01:52 AM

I think the Teerex has enough of a following. I'm hoping it was just a nasty rumor.

Quezzy 12-19-2010 01:56 AM

Move over to the Pro Katana, easier to throw than the Xcaliber.

gcr_russell 12-19-2010 01:56 AM

Which has zero resemblance to a TeeRex.

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 01:58 AM

I throw a Pro and Star Katana RHBH but for the sidearm I love the Teerex. It's combo of stable and understable seems to be perfect for my snap. I can get a nice straight fade right or I can get a nice s left to right. And the tomahawks go sky high!!

gcr_russell 12-19-2010 01:59 AM

If you want it a little more overstable try to find a Teerex X. Ive recently fallen in love with them, although I do still keep a couple first runs in my bag too.

Quezzy 12-19-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyfoodstamp (Post 619931)
I throw a Pro and Star Katana RHBH but for the sidearm I love the Teerex. It's combo of stable and understable seems to be perfect for my snap. I can get a nice straight fade right or I can get a nice s left to right. And the tomahawks go sky high!!

Have you tried a star roadrunner

booter 12-19-2010 02:00 AM

I have a fr trex and some other rexs in my sig. :) take them off my hands guys

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 02:01 AM

I have a champion Roadrunner that I use exclusively for RHBH anhyzer shots and sometimes Max D shots in the open when I want to finish right. I feel it gets more D than the Teerex sidearm but the Teerex is more accurate.

Quezzy 12-19-2010 02:01 AM

Even if they stop making them they will still be around to buy.

gcr_russell 12-19-2010 02:02 AM

Booter, if I had the money your list would be half the size it is right now.

adh56 12-19-2010 03:45 AM

If the Groove is still around I think the TeeRex is safe

Nathanbr2 12-19-2010 03:46 AM

I use the tee-rex mainly as my "get out of crap free" disc...great for those sharp angled turns.

I'd hate to see them discontinued, but I have 3 right now, and only use one...so i should be ok for a while

Quezzy 12-19-2010 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adh56 (Post 620023)

Same with the Monarch

cfair 12-19-2010 10:12 AM

Teerex does a lot of cool things. I think its a cool utility disc but I just wish they never would have re-tooled it...

Kinda tired of Innova's mess.

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfair (Post 620137)
Teerex does a lot of cool things. I think its a cool utility disc but I just wish they never would have re-tooled it...

Kinda tired of Innova's mess.

Yeah, the re-tooling never bothered me. I may have gotten lucky but all the Tee rex discs I've bought from the store are identical to my 1st run. I've never even seen the other mold.

cfair 12-19-2010 10:28 AM

I have a blue champ teerex-x, a green star teerex and a black star teerex if anyone is interested in trading for them.

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 10:31 AM

I'd be willing to trade. Not sure if I have anything you can use. Let me take some pics and get back to you.

Clarkey 12-19-2010 10:47 AM

I love how ppl come in here and say to use a roadrunner lol

He's talking about a trex! Roadrunner has none of the same characteristics. I have zero friends who throw a trex. But I hope they dont take it away on u guys, hate when that happens....

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkey (Post 620171)
I love how ppl come in here and say to use a roadrunner lol

He's talking about a trex! Roadrunner has none of the same characteristics. I have zero friends who throw a trex. But I hope they dont take it away on u guys, hate when that happens....

I know :) If I was to throw the roadrunner the same way as I throw the Teerex the best I could hope for is a roller.

optidiscic 12-19-2010 10:50 AM

I thought I was missing something .....tee rex to excalibur to katana to roadrunner....I cant think of 4 molds more different than one another?

I am waiting for an update on the tee rex

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by optidiscic (Post 620175)
I thought I was missing something .....tee rex to excalibur to katana to roadrunner....I cant think of 4 molds more different than one another?

I am waiting for an update on the tee rex

I appreciated the suggestions but this is not a replace the Teerex thread. This is for Teerex lovers. Hopefully Dave will answer gcr_russell.

Crazy Buffalo Guy 12-19-2010 11:05 AM

I love my Tee-Rex-x (cfr)

bboykin 12-19-2010 11:16 AM

I've got a beautiful pink Star TR that I never throw but I keep it around because it looks so cool. It's got the star stamp on it. I never got the hang of this disc. Then, I never did take a liking to star plastic either.

hogleggbob 12-19-2010 11:36 AM

i know a few people who work at innova, and i heard this rumor earlier this summer...they will be discontinued. i think they will probably re release it as a different name maybe through discmania, or that it what i was told. i love the tee rex, its a great thumber disc. get em while you can.

gj pain 12-19-2010 11:49 AM

Makes me want to buy 2 Teerex's because I've never tried them. I figure if I like it, I'll throw one and save one assuming they actually do d/c it.

But I'm broke and can't. Hope the rumor isn't true.

Easy Tigur 12-19-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adh56 (Post 620023)

But, I've seen countless Groove's on the course and I've never seen anyone playing with a TeeRex.

No loss to me... :\

volmed10 12-19-2010 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quezzy (Post 619935)
Move over to the Pro Katana, easier to throw than the Xcaliber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quezzy (Post 619935)
Have you tried a star roadrunner

Dude seriously, just stop. The comparisons you are making regarding the flight characteristics of these discs is downright comical.

You've basically said that since the guy loves throwing a Firebird for sidearm, he should really try and throw an Archangel because they fly the same.

And the bad thing is, you've done it twice.

gcr_russell 12-19-2010 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasuDG
I heard a rumor that the TeeRex was being discontinued. Is there any truth to this?

No.

That's my question to Dave and there's his answer. Seems simple enough.

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 04:30 PM

Awesome! Thread closed.

yawpstang64 12-19-2010 08:15 PM

Quezzy's banishment gave me much schadenfreude

Since we're on the topic of the teerex though: I've avoided the mold altogether after hearing about the bad ones, so what kind of teerex's are on shelves right now and are they any good?

johnnyfoodstamp 12-19-2010 08:18 PM

I have bought at least 4 Star Teerex discs from my local pro shop and they have all been identical to my 1st run. Not sure about the x molds. Love the 1st run mold though.

cfair 12-20-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawpstang64 (Post 620793)
Quezzy's banishment gave me much schadenfreude

Since we're on the topic of the teerex though: I've avoided the mold altogether after hearing about the bad ones, so what kind of teerex's are on shelves right now and are they any good?

The CFR's are awesome and not that hard t o come across. The best thing to do is throw them to see which ones are most overstable.

I heard a story/rumor about Feldberg buying a bunch of them at production and test throwing them to see which ones work like he wants them to and sells the rest... sounds like to much work to me, but what'ev

GarrettDN 12-23-2010 12:43 PM

I throw the teerex for sidearm distance or as my fastest overstable disc (safe into a headwind....I throw a hyzer flip).

As for never seeing them on the course, I throw a 1st run so I am stealth on what disc it is. With all the cool dyes these days I'm sometimes surprised I don't see more people with complete bags of mystery discs.

bwiese 12-23-2010 01:34 PM

I love the trex for head wind drives I need to finish left (rhbh) and the best is forehand rollers. I love the trex for the roller.

is it or isnt it being discontinued?

NateDiscFlip 12-23-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyfoodstamp (Post 619910)
Xcalibur is maybe a little to much disc for me.

Star Echo Xcal looks ALOT less stable as the normal Xcal. The wing is much more flatter than the star or champion molds. I have been eye balling one for a minute now and I think I am going to pick it up, just to say I did.

Easy Tigur 12-23-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwiese (Post 626733)
is it or isnt it being discontinued?

The Teerex is safe for now. Innova will be keeping it.