Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   PD v Thunderbird? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119569)

hugheshilton 12-19-2015 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningDoc (Post 2910214)
I just remember those proto star champ thunderbirds being very overstable - firebird like finish. Then my 4th run C-PD being super glide-y.

Now I throw 3rd run C-PDs (which are like 75% firebird in nature), and have tried out the production run of champ thunderbirds ended up being glidey like the 4th run C-PD.

its confusing.

^^ This I consider the closest to the truth of the matter that this thread has gotten. Come on it's Innova molding these, so of course both discs vary in stability and glide from run to run and plastic to plastic. You can find more or less stable versions of both and can basically do all the same things with either. Use whichever feels better to you (or neither).

ODRB 12-19-2015 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningDoc (Post 2910214)
I just remember those proto star champ thunderbirds being very overstable - firebird like finish. Then my 4th run C-PD being super glide-y.

Now I throw 3rd run C-PDs (which are like 75% firebird in nature), and have tried out the production run of champ thunderbirds ended up being glidey like the 4th run C-PD.

its confusing.

^ win.

runningDoc 12-19-2015 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugheshilton (Post 2910246)
^^ This I consider the closest to the truth of the matter that this thread has gotten. Come on it's Innova molding these, so of course both discs vary in stability and glide from run to run and plastic to plastic. You can find more or less stable versions of both and can basically do all the same things with either. Use whichever feels better to you (or neither).

the advantage the PD has over the thunderbird is that you can actually figure out the specific run (especially if champion plastic) to get the PD flight you want:

1st run = has patent #'s almost firebird with more glide
2nd run = + Rim
3rd run = pearly stiff 75% firebird stability
4th run = gummy glidey even a hint of turn
5-6th runs = in between 4th and 3rd run in stability
7th run = supposedly 3rd/1st run overstable but gummy.

once you know how to identify PD's then its easy to work with.

the main advantage is that Discmania is very transparent of the characteristics of the different runs. Innova just makes them and you figure it out.

ODRB 12-19-2015 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by runningDoc (Post 2910268)
the advantage the PD has over the thunderbird is that you can actually figure out the specific run (especially if champion plastic) to get the PD flight you want:

1st run = has patent #'s almost firebird with more glide
2nd run = + Rim
3rd run = pearly stiff 75% firebird stability
4th run = gummy glidey even a hint of turn
5-6th runs = in between 4th and 3rd run in stability
7th run = supposedly 3rd/1st run overstable but gummy.

once you know how to identify PD's then its easy to work with.

the main advantage is that Discmania is very transparent of the characteristics of the different runs. Innova just makes them and you figure it out.

Truth worth repeating.
7th run aren't quite as OS or as stiff as 3rd, though they're not gummy. They're flatter than the other recent runs. And very nice.

odysseus 12-19-2015 06:30 AM

if only people looked at your sig, davidrboy...you've already provided the /thread...

throw an OLF

ODRB 12-19-2015 10:16 AM

OLF is a different animal. More turn and fade. Although some folks have been comparing a worn Thinderbird to an OLF. I haven't thrown a beat enough thunderbird to say.

clard 12-19-2015 10:59 AM

I think the Thunderbird is more OLFy. It doesn't have the HSS of some of C PDs, but in the brief period of time I threw Thunderbirds I thought they were similar to the more stable S PDs but the Thunderbirds have a bit more bite at the end.

hugheshilton 12-19-2015 01:19 PM

Quote:

the main advantage is that Discmania is very transparent of the characteristics of the different runs. Innova just makes them and you figure it out.
This is certainly a fair criticism and a good point. I do appreciate Discmania's transparency there. However I would point out that even if you know how different runs of PDs fly, buying older runs can still be difficult/expensive. Anyone want to sell me a 1st/3rd run PD for stock prices? How about a 2nd run FD? Anyone? No?

At least currently it seems like stock Thunderbirds are not that hard to figure out. Champ/GStar = straighter at longer distances, Star = OS, DX = OS like Star but beats in quicker. We'll see if that holds up for future runs though.

thatdirtykid 12-19-2015 03:04 PM

I am regretting telling people, but last I looked discmania had 3rd run PDs in the store.

xare 12-21-2015 12:25 PM

5 pages and nobody brings up the mold pieces??

Thunderbird = Teebird top & Firebird bottom
PD = Anhyzer top & Firebird bottom

The PD is a tick faster and has more fade. Thunderbird glides more and fades less. You should be getting about 20' to 30' more out of a PD flight than you do a Thunderbird (but the glide can even it out, especially if you can't get a PD to turn or fly straight). With a low ceiling shot - the PD will always go further than the Thunderbird. In the end though, you really can't go wrong with either - I'd go Thunderbird if I bagged 11-speed drivers too, but would stick with the PD if you went with 12+ speed drivers.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.