Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   PD v Thunderbird? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119569)

ODRB 12-18-2015 04:01 PM

PD v Thunderbird?

Let's have a civil and meaningful discussion about the differences between these two seemingly-identical discs. Let's leave the obviously-inferior Starfire out of it.

http://www.inboundsdiscgolf.com/cont...896321777921OO

ThunderMuffin 12-18-2015 04:10 PM

Why would you call the Starfire inferior, let alone "obviously" inferior? They're a damn good mold and anyone who has known the market for a decade or more will agree with me.

PD > Starfire I understand the argument. The Thunderbird hasn't even been out for a year.

whentherainscome 12-18-2015 04:16 PM

I swapped my S-PD for a Champ Thunderbird. Same flight and better grip on the JL plastic blend. PDs are more versatile but only because they've had more runs/plastics to provide the variants needed to cover so much ground. You can throw a Thunderbird in a bag of PDs and not skip a beat.

DGHippie 12-18-2015 04:19 PM

I've used both of them as faster alternatives to my eagles. In my experience, PDs are more similar to a longer Eagle X's and Thunderbird are more similar to longer fresh Eagle L's. I beat in my first PD, so it can cover shots where I might have otherwise used a Thunderbird. I dropped the Thunderbird because I like cycling discs. Even if I really clicked with the Thunderbird, I'd still keep a PD in the bag for when the wind picks up or if I need a sharper hyzer finish.

Disclaimer - I've only thrown max weight C and S-Line PDs and max weight glow thunderbirds. There are quite a few variants of each disc so YMMV.

hugheshilton 12-18-2015 04:32 PM

I've never liked the anhyzer top on the PD. Seems to make me not get a consistent release with it, although I completely understand that that's my own issue and probably also due to me never taking the time to really learn to throw them.

Anyway I'm currently throwing DX Thunderbirds, which I love. They start out very beefy but still with some glide, I'd say beefier than the S-PD's I've thrown (granted I've only thrown a couple). I've thrown champion and GStar Thunderbirds briefly as well, and they both started out less overstable than the DX. I haven't thrown a Star Thunderbird, but I've heard they are quite OS with less glide. Given the variance in Thunderbirds by plastic, I'm guessing you could cover all the same lines people use PDs for, but my experience is fairly limited so I could be wrong. Possibly the more OS runs of C-PDs are still more OS than a Star Thunderbird?

SD86 12-18-2015 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910010)
Let's have a civil and meaningful discussion about the differences between these two seemingly-identical discs. Let's leave the obviously-inferior Starfire out of it.

You want a civil discussion then proceed to slander the Starfire like that?!?!? :p

SD86 12-18-2015 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGHippie (Post 2910024)
I've used both of them as faster alternatives to my eagles. In my experience, PDs are more similar to a longer Eagle X's and Thunderbird are more similar to longer fresh Eagle L's.

I'll buy that for a dollar, though maybe a Canadian dollar.

ilmcgee 12-18-2015 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThunderMuffin (Post 2910014)
Why would you call the Starfire inferior, let alone "obviously" inferior? They're a damn good mold and anyone who has known the market for a decade or more will agree with me.

PD > Starfire I understand the argument. The Thunderbird hasn't even been out for a year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SD86 (Post 2910035)
You want a civil discussion then proceed to slander the Starfire like that?!?!? :p

Haha :doh:

OB Four 12-18-2015 04:46 PM

I mainly throw first run PDs, so take that in mind in my comments..

They are pretty similar discs in feel and flight. The main difference for me is the glide. They both have similar distance potential, I'm typically throwing them in the 370-400 range. The Thunderbird will get there by glide and the PD will get there by speed. The PD typically works better in wind for me also.

BirdieMachine 12-18-2015 04:52 PM

I don't always agree with the charts but they are pretty close to my experience with these two. Biggest difference is that the SPD has a little earlier and harder fade then the Champ Thunderbird. I prefer the Thundy. I've thought about trying the CD-2 also, seems very close to the Thunderbird also spec and chart wise.

Pbmercil 12-18-2015 05:25 PM

Thunderbird is straighter, longer, with more glide and less fade than the PD. The more power you have the more obvious the difference becomes. Guys who throw thunderbirds in the 300-350 range generally get a nice fade out of them, and they have a good combo of glide and fade. Once you start throwing them farther then that the thunderbird starts acting like a pretty straight disc, even when new. Tons of glide tho. PD is better in wind and better for hyzers for power players.

hugheshilton 12-18-2015 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pbmercil (Post 2910053)
Thunderbird is straighter, longer, with more glide and less fade than the PD. The more power you have the more obvious the difference becomes. Guys who throw thunderbirds in the 300-350 range generally get a nice fade out of them, and they have a good combo of glide and fade. Once you start throwing them farther then that the thunderbird starts acting like a pretty straight disc, even when new. Tons of glide tho. PD is better in wind and better for hyzers for power players.

Yeah I thought the Champ and GStar Thunderbirds I threw started to get pretty straight when I was throwing them in a field out to around 370-390. Have you thrown a Star though? I've heard that the Stars are a bit less glidey and more OS so I'm guessing they might act a bit more like PDs at longer distances. Maybe someone who has thrown those can confirm/deny that.

Pbmercil 12-18-2015 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hugheshilton (Post 2910059)
Have you thrown a Star though?

I have not. Just champs and metal flake champs. My aussie open MF's were very PD-esque. Def the most stable thunderbird I've thrown, but like I said I haven't thrown the stars.

Stardoggy 12-18-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910010)

I'll punch your throat.

PD's and ThB's are damn near identical. Good luck trying to figure anything out with all these chuckers chiming in.

HarkeyPuck 12-18-2015 06:33 PM

What's more like a "longer TeeBird"?

cooter 12-18-2015 07:16 PM

Can't go wrong with either. Flip a coin. I prefer the Thundy. I like how they feel and fly a little better. I also bag Starfires though. I can't trust the Thunderbird in the wind as much as a Starfire. Starfires are the Sh!t!!! They are in a different class and can't be compared to the Thunderbird or PD. You can't shape the same lines with them. I have some beat to hell Starfires and they still fade like Firebirds.

DGHippie 12-18-2015 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck (Post 2910091)

TL - Teebird L

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/fai...peed-7/tl.html
The TL is the brother of the reliable Teebird. The “L” stands for “Less Overstable” and “Longer”. This disc has the same great speed and glide as the Teebird, but is straighter flying with less fade at the end of the flight. If you are looking for a straight flying maximum fairway driver, the TL is the answer.

grotto 12-18-2015 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGHippie (Post 2910112)
TL - Teebird L

http://www.innovadiscs.com/discs/fai...peed-7/tl.html
The TL is the brother of the reliable Teebird. The “L” stands for “Less Overstable” and “Longer”. This disc has the same great speed and glide as the Teebird, but is straighter flying with less fade at the end of the flight. If you are looking for a straight flying maximum fairway driver, the TL is the answer.

HUH? :wall::gross:

JamesXC 12-18-2015 07:46 PM

My experience has been that they are interchangeable. I would also put the Westside Sampo in the same catagory. Which of the three you throw is almost entirely due to feel. PDs tend to be domier than the other two, but the flights for comparable plastics are very similar.

DGHippie 12-18-2015 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grotto (Post 2910117)
HUH? :wall::gross:

Snarky response to Harkey's facetious question. I'll make sure to use the deadpan font next time.

ODRB 12-18-2015 08:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's try to stay on topic guys. This is DGCR after all. So stay focused.

Anyway, PDs are longer and eat power like a distance driver, for people like me who lack the power to really throw max D drivers. Thundebirds are longer fairway drivers. PDs are inherently superior. Obviously. IMO. But c'mon. You know what I mean.

Then there's the Starfire:

HeavyCritters 12-18-2015 08:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910136)
Let's try to stay on topic guys. This is DGCR after all. So stay focused.

Anyway, PDs are longer and eat power like a distance driver, for people like me who lack the power to really throw max D drivers. Thundebirds are longer fairway drivers. PDs are inherently superior. Obviously. IMO. But c'mon. You know what I mean.

This is dumb.

Also, spell "Thunderbirds" right, you hippie. ,

SD86 12-18-2015 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarkeyPuck (Post 2910091)

The Thunderbird was advertised as a "longer Teebird", meaning it had the same flight characteristics but went farther. Whether or not that is the actual case... you make the call.

SD86 12-18-2015 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910136)
Then there's the Starfire:

Well, Valarie Jenkins Doss does like the Starfire, so you actually swerved into the truth, there... :)

HarkeyPuck 12-18-2015 08:53 PM

Snarky?!? Ahh… crap I just sold all PDs and got some TLs

ODRB 12-18-2015 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyCritters (Post 2910139)
This is dumb.

Also, spell "Thunderbirds" right, you hippie. ,

No, you are.

I mean, obviously thundebirds go farther since there glide is more. But PDs are better at control at longer distances because their more overstable but fade more forward then dumpy.

HeavyCritters 12-18-2015 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910183)
No, you are.

I mean, obviously thundebirds go farther since there glide is more. But PDs are better at control at longer distances because their more overstable but fade more forward then dumpy.

ThundeRbirds...

And of course Thunderbirds go farther. There rating on the glide-o-meter is through the roof.

Pbmercil 12-18-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy
Anyway, PDs are longer

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidrboy (Post 2910183)

obviously thundebirds go farther

huh?

HeavyCritters 12-18-2015 10:07 PM

^Truth

PWaggoner 12-18-2015 10:18 PM

I dont think a forward fade is more overstable.

HarkeyPuck 12-18-2015 10:25 PM

What Discraft molds are like a Thundebird?

ODRB 12-18-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWaggoner (Post 2910203)

High speed versus low speed, obviously. Add in the glide and your gonna get you're answer.

HarkeyPuck 12-18-2015 10:27 PM

I've only ever thrown a Thunderbird out of the 3. Obviously better than the other 2.

HeavyCritters 12-18-2015 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PWaggoner (Post 2910203)

"Forward fade" is like "Climate change" : something someone made up on a lark to make their point.

ODRB 12-18-2015 10:31 PM

^ penetrating. Boom. I prefer the PD because its more penetrating.

HarkeyPuck 12-18-2015 10:31 PM

Isn't Forward Fade, Donald Trump's hair style?

runningDoc 12-18-2015 10:41 PM

I just remember those proto star champ thunderbirds being very overstable - firebird like finish. Then my 4th run C-PD being super glide-y.

Now I throw 3rd run C-PDs (which are like 75% firebird in nature), and have tried out the production run of champ thunderbirds ended up being glidey like the 4th run C-PD.

its confusing.

Broken Shoulder 12-18-2015 10:44 PM

I've never thrown a Thunderbird so obviously the PD is better.

HeavyCritters 12-18-2015 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 2910216)
I've never thrown a Thunderbird so obviously the PD is better.

I take your statement and state the opposite.

Broken Shoulder 12-18-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyCritters (Post 2910226)
I take your statement and state the opposite.

Oh. I don't know what to do now.