Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Highbridge Hills II - Resurrection (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133113)

DavidSauls 02-12-2019 04:56 PM

True. But it's not nearly as cryptic as earlier posts. There's some meat on the bones there, as well as the outline for the future. Whatever the definition of "owner" is, it apparently involves a transfer of money, which must be buying something, whether real estate or rights. (Taking the post at face value, of course).

Not a lot of details, but hey, you can come visit us and play Stoney Hill, without knowing the details of our ownership or plans, either. I'd love to have the details of HBH, but I'm not sure I'm entitled to them. At least at this point.

dreadlock86 02-13-2019 01:27 AM

given the past comments, it seems clear to me that he means he has bought Anne and Roger's property (or some of it anyway). what's not clear to me... i don't know if there is a HBH LLC or something like that, who owns it if there is, and if he also bought that.

anyway, it's great news! i'm super pumped about a shot at getting to HBH

DavidSauls 02-13-2019 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3416591)
given the past comments, it seems clear to me that he means he has bought Anne and Roger's property (or some of it anyway). what's not clear to me... i don't know if there is a HBH LLC or something like that, who owns it if there is, and if he also bought that.

Out of curiosity, how much of the courses are whose properties?---Anne's & Roger's, John's, John's relatives, and/or other people?

Hyzflip10 02-13-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3416616)
Out of curiosity, how much of the courses are whose properties?---Anne's & Roger's, John's, John's relatives, and/or other people?

For someone who doesn't want or isn't entitled to any details, you sure ask for alot of details, lol. jk of course.

I'm just going to sit back and watch as things unfold now. It sounds like the wheels are in motion for wherever they go. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

DavidSauls 02-13-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 (Post 3416623)
For someone who doesn't want or isn't entitled to any details, you sure ask for alot of details, lol. jk of course.

I'm just going to sit back and watch as things unfold now. It sounds like the wheels are in motion for wherever they go. It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Guilty as charged.

davetherocketguy 02-13-2019 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyzflip10 (Post 3416623)
It will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Understatement of the thread,

BuzzzFlicker87 02-13-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3416616)

http://ashlandcowi.wgxtreme.com/

this shows all that.

BuzzzFlicker87 02-13-2019 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3416591)

I think the HBH LLC was forfeited due to unpaid taxes but im not 100%

BuzzzFlicker87 02-13-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzzFlicker87 (Post 3416636)

for reference, Mile rd is the south border, Poppe rd is west border and C is east border of the complex. the 120 at chestnut is north along C

BuzzzFlicker87 02-14-2019 08:33 AM

So the golf course comes first eh? Mowing and trimming is the easy part. Lots of new teepads are needed but i would fix the campground before all that. It was the campground that got JJ shut down last year and it might help build rapport with the county if their issues are dealt with right away. Despite Johns bereavement, from what I experienced the county was always cordial with him and gave him second and third chances to get his things in order to comply. At a destination course like this people will need a place to stay.

PoorPutter 02-14-2019 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuzzzFlicker87 (Post 3417073)
So the golf course comes first eh? Mowing and trimming is the easy part. Lots of new teepads are needed but i would fix the campground before all that. It was the campground that got JJ shut down last year and it might help build rapport with the county if their issues are dealt with right away. Despite Johns bereavement, from what I experienced the county was always cordial with him and gave him second and third chances to get his things in order to comply. At a destination course like this people will need a place to stay.

Plenty of hotels 20 miles away in Ashland.

Don't allow camping.

The statement "At a destination course like this people will need a place to stay." is simply not true.

roggenb3 02-14-2019 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorPutter (Post 3417156)

Don't allow camping.

The statement "At a destination course like this people will need a place to stay." is simply not true.

No, no, he was right - frolfers want camping.

I bet tournament turnout at a course 3+ hrs away for most everybody would be much lower if everyone also has to fork up money for a hotel, or even camp at a nearby campsite. On site camping is a huge draw for the disc golf crowd. See: Justin Trails Open

Waking up and walking onto a course is a different and better experience than waking up and driving to the course. Not to mention, if you are off-site all of your supplies are not readily on-hand all day long like they are with on-site camping.

brentjacobs 02-14-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Don't allow camping.

I disagree with your sentiment re: the value of on site accommodations for destination courses.

I travel for ďdestinationĒ golf multiple times every year. On site lodging is a huge bonus factor that sets certain locations apart from others. Lots of places with lots of great courses and Iíll always try to find those that I can stay at, whether thatís camping, cabins, or other rentals. Not a requirement but it sure beats all the driving required when the option isnít there.

Iíd have still loved the golf but I would not have enjoyed my HBH experience as much if I hadnít been on site. And the Honka wasnít in good shape, but it was right where we needed to be.

DavidSauls 02-14-2019 10:55 AM

Are people going to camp if there aren't good courses to play, or aren't courses in good condition?

Ultimately, they have to do a lot of things to make the venture a success (by whatever measure). They can't do them all first. Seems to me like the courses are the draw, so a good place to start.

BuiltTooLong 02-14-2019 11:23 AM

Quote:

Don't allow camping.

:thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown::thmbdown: :thmbdown:

Couldn't disagree more, I've had some really really rough nights camping there and would still do that before driving 20 miles back and forth each way. Money for the hotel isn't even the issue, I want to be on-site.

davetherocketguy 02-14-2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3417176)
Are people going to camp if there aren't good courses to play, or aren't courses in good condition?

Ultimately, they have to do a lot of things to make the venture a success (by whatever measure). They can't do them all first. Seems to me like the courses are the draw, so a good place to start.

Kinda depends on the clientele I guess. Is there demand for camping in the area among non-dg'ers? Maybe it might make more financial sense to get that up and running so there is some cash flow for the courses. Of course, I have no idea since I've never been there...

I will say though, as I get older the less and less tent camping appeals to me. I used to be all about it years ago but now? Lol not so much. A 20 mile drive to stay in a climate controlled environment on a bed off the ground sounds pretty freaking awesome after a long day of discing. :p

PoorPutter 02-14-2019 11:51 AM

Oh boy I forgot who I was dealing with, hahahahaha! Carry on, disc golfers! As you were.

brentjacobs 02-14-2019 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorPutter (Post 3417243)
Oh boy I forgot who I was dealing with, hahahahaha! Carry on, disc golfers! As you were.

Who are you dealing with? People that disagreed with you?

My point was not to say the courses donít need attention or work. My point was to disagree with your sentiment that camping shouldnít be allowed. With Zero courses played guessing you donít travel much for golf? Makes me wonder why you would consider your opinion to hold any value and decide to offer it up.

I made my position known and offered some info to shed light on why I feel that way. You made a post, were disagreed with, and responded with above because maybe you donít have anything of substance to say. Let me know if you ever want to meet to bag your first course. Maybe if you start playing courses you wonít be such a PoorPutter...

Cgkdisc 02-14-2019 12:31 PM

By time HBH gets back underway, Whitecap ski resort 25 minutes away may be the ideal place to stay. From what I understand, they are developing a Championship layout on the site and I assume they will have attractive off season rates for lodging. For Pro Worlds, we created an Olympic village atmosphere where many competitors, especially international, and staff stayed.

DavidSauls 02-14-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davetherocketguy (Post 3417242)
Kinda depends on the clientele I guess. Is there demand for camping in the area among non-dg'ers? Maybe it might make more financial sense to get that up and running so there is some cash flow for the courses. Of course, I have no idea since I've never been there...

I will say though, as I get older the less and less tent camping appeals to me. I used to be all about it years ago but now? Lol not so much. A 20 mile drive to stay in a climate controlled environment on a bed off the ground sounds pretty freaking awesome after a long day of discing. :p

I'm with you.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be camping---just that it's not the first priority. Unless a campground can be profitable on its own, of course.

There are certainly disc golfers for whom camping (or other onsite lodging) is a valuable amenity. And others for whom it doesn't matter. It just seems to me, from a thousand miles away, that the disc golf is the main thing. Get that right, first, then worry about lodging.

Or, at the very least, with my very limited information, I can understand their taking that approach.

PoorPutter 02-14-2019 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentjacobs (Post 3417274)
My point was not to say the courses don’t need attention or work. My point was to disagree with your sentiment that camping shouldn’t be allowed.

My bad, brother. I only meant "don't allow camping" until the camping facilities can be completed, in order to avoid Johnny Law closing the place down.

In other words, courses are a first priority, 'cause you gotta have some reason to visit. (Unless like Dave and David said, there are non-golfing campers.) Camping is 2nd priority. But until camping facilities are done, you can't allow it or you risk getting shut down. That's all I was saying.

I've played destination courses and happily stayed 40+ minutes away, making the drive multiple days in a row. Sometimes that's what's necessary, and very well worth it to play those courses. 20 miles isn't literally nothing, but it's pretty close.

But you know, to each his own.

PoorPutter 02-14-2019 01:34 PM

Oh, and "who I'm dealing with" was a joke about disc golfers being too cheap, too poor, and/or too lazy to drive a few miles to play awesome courses. A joke, son, a joke. Sorry it was a bad one. As I said, carry on, good sir!

brentjacobs 02-14-2019 01:58 PM

Gotcha and I agree with that fully. No point camping or staying at the Honka or other lodging options if the courses are poo or puts the business in danger of shutting down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorPutter (Post 3417321)
My bad, brother. I only meant "don't allow camping" until the camping facilities can be completed, in order to avoid Johnny Law closing the place down...

And I got the joke and was just heckling back. I actually agree with your sentiment and generalization that DGers are cheap, for the most part. But there are some of us who can afford to stay wherever but prefer onsite so weíll happily slum it for that option.

Also, only half joking about your courses played. But you should update that. Makes these conversions more fun to see where weíve all been. Gives context to our opinions and itís fun to see what type of places have molded our likes, dislikes, etc...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PoorPutter (Post 3417325)
Oh, and "who I'm dealing with" was a joke about disc golfers being too cheap, too poor, and/or too lazy to drive a few miles to play...

BionicRib 02-14-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brentjacobs (Post 3417338)
Gotcha and I agree with that fully. No point camping or staying at the Honka or other lodging options if the courses are poo or puts the business in danger of shutting down.

And I got the joke and was just heckling back. I actually agree with your sentiment and generalization that DGers are cheap, for the most part. But there are some of us who can afford to stay wherever but prefer onsite so weíll happily slum it for that option.

Also, only half joking about your courses played. But you should update that. Makes these conversions more fun to see where weíve all been. Gives context to our opinions and itís fun to see what type of places have molded our likes, dislikes, etc...

Awww....you two made up on valentines day

Consult20 02-14-2019 02:41 PM

I'm sure camping is a priority for the festivals, the real moneymaker in order to sustain disc golf.

F.Luke 02-14-2019 05:10 PM

Iím happy that this thread is working hard to one day be as weird as the original Highbridge thread.

harr0140 02-14-2019 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UP Mountain Man (Post 3416223)
Cool story. Met with the owner, made a down payment, and bought Highbridge Hills Disc Golf Megaplex, on Sunday. Had an 8 hour round trip, with light to medium snow falling. The entire day felt just like my trip to Detroit 8yrs ago, the day that I bought my first disc golf course...Mountain Man's Playground, Ironwood MI. Both of these days were surreal days.

This is my vision for 2019.

Our primary focus will always be on the disc golf, and the disc golf courses. Getting a course open is a priority. Getting more open is a second priority, and having all courses open is third priority. To be clear, there are currently 6 courses here. Blueberry, Gold, Granite, The Bear, Woodland Greens, and Chestnut. I've always clung to a Chuck K. comment about Tiki Course's, so perhaps we'll try one on for size.

Second priority will be the courses. We will be putting back everything to the original Chuck Kennedy designs. The lines will be brushed out and opened up. Chuck has mentioned digging up his alt position notebooks, and really hooking us up.

We'll be having several Tournaments this year, first one will be last weekend of April. If you are interested in running an event here, please let us know.

Our third priority is getting set up for camping. We are working with Ashland County Officials on this matter.

I will figure out a system for communication and reservations, etc.

Awesome news. Glad to hear you are back at it MM. Ill be in touch with you about a tourney for sure but if you need anything from me . . . do not hesitate to ask! You know I want this to work out for you and all of Wisconsin DGers and beyond. Eventually HBH will actually be the mecca it was once referred to!

XC_Eddy 02-14-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F.Luke (Post 3417439)
Iím happy that this thread is working hard to one day be as weird as the original Highbridge thread.

I thought I was in the original Highbridge thread

XC_Eddy 02-14-2019 10:17 PM

For those wondering, yes, camping is a draw on its own. This is Wisconsin we’re talking about.

The camping has to be good though. That’s the tough part.

People up this way love camping. Summer arrives and suddenly the only thing people drive are RVs.

ru4por 02-15-2019 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XC_Eddy (Post 3417534)
For those wondering, yes, camping is a draw on its own. This is Wisconsin weíre talking about.

The camping has to be good though. Thatís the tough part.

People up this way love camping. Summer arrives and suddenly the only thing people drive are RVs.

I staying in an RV really camping?

davetherocketguy 02-15-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3417621)
I staying in an RV really camping?

It's one thing to debate beer and BBQ but can we not go down this road in this awesome thread? Pretty please?

tick 02-16-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darkgreen (Post 3416260)
Great to hear. When you say, met with the owner, what owner are you talking about? Arenít there multiple owners? Doesnít John own some of the property? Are you going to be the owner of all of HH?

It is easiest to respond to these questions by saying what part of the Highbridge Hills disc golf courses MM did not buy:
Those few holes that use portions of the privately owned lots are not included in the deal that has been made.
There are 23 lots with 12 different owners, all within 80 acres bounded by Mile Rd. and Poppe Rd. I am one of those owners and I am working to clarify a murky situation. Some holes on the gold course and some on Blueberry use parts of some of these lots. These holes were installed without formal written agreements with the lot owners. In many, but not all cases the lot owner is okay with the hole being on the lot. It is a complicated situation that will take some time to settle out.
As I see it, there may need to be 2-3 holes re-routed on each of these 2 courses. However, I am rather optimistic that it will eventually get worked out with minimal changes to these 2 courses.
So to the original point - except for the individually owned lots and a few holes thus affected, MM bought the rest.

HeavyCritters 02-21-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tick (Post 3418218)
It is easiest to respond to these questions by saying what part of the Highbridge Hills disc golf courses MM did not buy:
Those few holes that use portions of the privately owned lots are not included in the deal that has been made.
There are 23 lots with 12 different owners, all within 80 acres bounded by Mile Rd. and Poppe Rd. I am one of those owners and I am working to clarify a murky situation. Some holes on the gold course and some on Blueberry use parts of some of these lots. These holes were installed without formal written agreements with the lot owners. In many, but not all cases the lot owner is okay with the hole being on the lot. It is a complicated situation that will take some time to settle out.
As I see it, there may need to be 2-3 holes re-routed on each of these 2 courses. However, I am rather optimistic that it will eventually get worked out with minimal changes to these 2 courses.
So to the original point - except for the individually owned lots and a few holes thus affected, MM bought the rest.

*Is buying, hopefully.

joecoin 02-22-2019 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeavyCritters (Post 3420429)
*Is buying, hopefully.

Aww gee whiz Mr wet blanket. There you go again.

Can't you let us have a brief moment of respite from the toils and troubles of everyday drudgery? Must you grind our faces in the rank hoarfrost of pragmatism?

FrisbeeGolfGT 02-22-2019 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoin (Post 3420525)

Can't you let us have a brief moment of respite from the toils and troubles of everyday drudgery? Must you grind our faces in the rank hoarfrost of pragmatism?

Sorry to push you into the dental floss bush, but I heard
from a good source who heard from another good source that
the new owners are dental floss tycoons. They'l be raising
dental floss in those Mellen Mountain Meadows. No golf,
no bass beats, they'll be riding along the borders with their
pygmy ponies to keep riffraff out . Plucking floss with their
Zircon encrusted tweezers under the northern lights...

NDABRUSH 02-22-2019 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrisbeeGolfGT (Post 3420536)
Sorry to push you into the dental floss bush, but I heard
from a good source who heard from another good source that
the new owners are dental floss tycoons. They'l be raising
dental floss in those Mellen Mountain Meadows. No golf,
no bass beats, they'll be riding along the borders with their
pygmy ponies to keep riffraff out . Plucking floss with their
Zircon encrusted tweezers under the northern lights...

Are you sure that to do this, they don't have to move to Montana first?

BuiltTooLong 02-22-2019 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joecoin (Post 3420525)

I can't in good conscience see you use the word Hoarfrost and not link one of my favorite SY tunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_mN6_PRC1M

Edited 3 times, still can't figure out the embed.

PoorPutter 02-22-2019 10:45 AM

youtube in brackets, then just the part after the "=", then /youtube in brackets

Hyzflip10 02-22-2019 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDABRUSH (Post 3420559)

Yippy ty yo ty yay

FrisbeeGolfGT 02-22-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NDABRUSH (Post 3420559)

Yep, that's them. Heard they've been in Montana since the early seventies looking to expand East...