Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Disc Golf Courses (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Public or Private? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=118773)

Billy K2 10-29-2015 08:51 PM

Public or Private?

Do you prefer a public or private course? Some people like the feeling of a park course because they get to meet more people, use other park amenities, etc. Others prefer private courses because of how (usually) well groomed they are, seclusion, friendly owners, etc. Where do you stand?

brickdoctor 10-29-2015 09:30 PM

Here in Michigan we have some fantastic public courses, I just wish people would respect them a bit more ,before they start shutting them down... I never understood what someone get out of vandalizing things. I was young once myself but never felt the need to destroy things. That said we have some very nice places in this state to play. Very thankful for that.

DavidSauls 10-29-2015 09:39 PM

13 of the 14 highest-rated courses are private.

But perhaps that's unfair. Perhaps it's because of their inherent advantages.

If your favorite private courses were public---say, sold to and run by the local government---would you like them more, or less? Or if your favorite public courses were somehow sold to a private owner? Would it matter, either way?

dontBLAMEtheDISC 10-29-2015 09:40 PM

A couple of courses i like to play are in parks so its pretty high traffic it would be nice to just play disc golf without playing through a picnic

PWaggoner 10-29-2015 09:51 PM

Id rather pay a few bucks to not be around hoards of college kids.

But having free courses are nice for when your broke or for dubs so there is no greens fee.

DavidSauls 10-29-2015 09:55 PM

Bearing in mind that some public courses are on disc-golf-exclusive parts of the property, so you have all of the public-park amenities on site, but not the interference with other park users.

Often, but not always, public parks have longer open hours than private courses.

DavidSauls 10-29-2015 09:56 PM

But all things not being equal, most of my favorite courses have been private.

Martin Dewgarita 10-29-2015 10:13 PM

And some private courses are overrun by hoards of people - BRP on any nice afternoon might be a 20 minute wait until you can tee off on hole 1, and there's a guaranteed 20 minute backup on hole 4...

Private is by far my favorite type - I love getting to play a round with the owner/designer and see what they have poured their heart and soul in to.

ru4por 10-29-2015 10:29 PM

I have played plenty of both. I love the amenities public courses can provide. A swim after the round, a picnic shelter, grill, restrooms, bike path... I also love the chance to see disc golf at it's roots, an owner/designer pouring sweat equity into a project for the love of the game. I sometimes feel uncomfortable on private courses. I know they have chosen to open their homes, but I don't feel I can thank them enough. I feel uncomfortable using their bathrooms, picnic areas.... They have almost always gone crazy out of the way to make us comfortable and welcome, but...well, maybe it is just me.

DanJon 10-29-2015 11:18 PM

Its difficult to say.

My three favorite courses go:

1.) Private
2.) Public, but P2P
3.) Public but out in the sticks.