Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Love for the Gazelle (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66332)

geo_08 01-19-2016 03:39 PM

Every star gazelle I have felt is flat, a touch more OS than the DX, but definitely not as stable as the CS champs.

Can't offer any insight to the g* yet.

Kodachrome 01-19-2016 03:50 PM

Weird. The two pro shop stars I had were dome city.

walde 01-19-2016 04:08 PM

Thanks, geo. I guess a Star would go well with a circle stamp Champ.
The only Star Gazelle I've seen was pretty domey too. I'd like a little flatter profile but it's not a huge deal.

geo_08 01-19-2016 04:09 PM

I will post up a pic of mine after I get to it. This is an F2 disc.

Questatement 01-19-2016 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 2928382)
I only have experience with DX and circle stamp Champ Gazelles, how do Star and Gstar compare to them stabilitywise? And how floppy are the Gstar Gazelles?

Mine could not handle full power new, even on an extreme hyzer release but it flies mostly straight with slight turn for my son but his max D is about 250'.

walde 01-20-2016 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questatement (Post 2928467)
Mine could not handle full power new, even on an extreme hyzer release but it flies mostly straight with slight turn for my son but his max D is about 250'.

Are we talking Star or Gstar here? I think I should have phrased the last question differently, I was wondering about the firmness/floppiness of the Gstar plastic used for Gazelles.
Thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming folks! :thmbup:

cooter 01-20-2016 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walde (Post 2928726)
Are we talking Star or Gstar here? I think I should have phrased the last question differently, I was wondering about the firmness/floppiness of the Gstar plastic used for Gazelles.
Thanks for sharing, keep 'em coming folks! :thmbup:

I've got a few Gstars. They are all pretty firm and closer to Star than normal Gstar. I have two that are pretty stable and hold a nice hyzer and the others are a little different. More of a flex shot disc. They have some turn but won't hold an anny all the way and they come back at the end. Maybe once they get beat in they will hold a line better but I'm not a big fan of them.

PhillyMatt 01-20-2016 10:15 AM

EDIT

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2928397)
Weird. The two pro shop stars I had were dome city.

That's my experience also.

Still hard to beat a fresh 168 DX gazelle for me. You don't get a ton of use out of them before you have to get a new one, but they're cheap. Or they were..

geo_08 01-22-2016 12:23 PM

I finally got the discs pictures taken. In this image is my F2 double circle stamped star gazelle (blue disc on right in all pics) vs a FS glow CFR

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...122_110453.jpg

This pic is a Glow CFR vs the star 2nd
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...122_110428.jpg

This pic is a double eagle x-out gazelle vs the star second:

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...2_110440_1.jpg

This is a relatively fresh DX vs the star 2nd:
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...122_110416.jpg

So it looks as if seconds from innova are much flatter. The cfr second is pretty pliable as is the star second, I personally love the feel.

geo_08 01-22-2016 12:24 PM

Just realized how blurry the photos are. Sorry about that.

THUGNIFICENT763 01-22-2016 01:04 PM

Double Eagle stamp F2s are awesoooooooome, I use mine as the world's awesomest forehand mid. They become stable over time, mine has turned into a laser beam.

Kodachrome 01-22-2016 01:19 PM

That's good info. Looks like that double stamp flattens things out. I need one.

geo_08 02-07-2016 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2930590)
That's good info. Looks like that double stamp flattens things out. I need one.

Last I checked Clearwater had them. Ebay was swimming with them, but they have all sold out.

I fixed my worry about my mids encroaching upon my gazelle territory by switching to a slower mid. Celebrated by buying the last two dx gazelles my local PIAS had.

Now I need to find a cheap circle stamp gazelle for the wall.

gerth_vader 02-07-2016 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2930590)
That's good info. Looks like that double stamp flattens things out. I need one.

I have an orange 175 I never throw if your interested

Kodachrome 02-07-2016 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_08 (Post 2940876)
Last I checked Clearwater had them. Ebay was swimming with them, but they have all sold out.

I fixed my worry about my mids encroaching upon my gazelle territory by switching to a slower mid. Celebrated by buying the last two dx gazelles my local PIAS had.

Now I need to find a cheap circle stamp gazelle for the wall.


Likely what I'll be doing as well. Right now I pair a hornet with my gazelles and throw the comet for the higher ceiling tunnel shots and real finesse stuff. Gazelle gets fairway duty for basically everything else, but sometimes I fear the lack of a straight to fade role for my mid slot. I'll be figuring that out at some point, probably as the hornet beats up a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up on Clearwater. Got one of the double stamps headed my way. : ) wonder if it will overlap a lot with my hornet?

Eco81 02-07-2016 09:56 PM

Does anyone know of the gazelle mold has ever changed?

captain jack 02-07-2016 10:34 PM

I think Dave said that the Gazelle was one of the molds that did wear out, and had to be replaced. My experience is, the rim has never changed, but you got your flatties and your domeys, and thats alla choices.

AlexJensen86 02-07-2016 10:51 PM

The rim changed. Used to be Ontario and have a weird nose. And maybe no beams no oldies handy to check out but that's what I remember.

geo_08 02-08-2016 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2941023)
Likely what I'll be doing as well. Right now I pair a hornet with my gazelles and throw the comet for the higher ceiling tunnel shots and real finesse stuff. Gazelle gets fairway duty for basically everything else, but sometimes I fear the lack of a straight to fade role for my mid slot. I'll be figuring that out at some point, probably as the hornet beats up a bit.

Thanks for the heads-up on Clearwater. Got one of the double stamps headed my way. : ) wonder if it will overlap a lot with my hornet?


I haven't clicked with it yet, but you could use a kaxe for that slot, but it pushes that fast mid tweener range that may cause overlap with the gazelle. I used to really like a fresh scout for the shot you are talking about, but I was running into consistency problems.

smarkquart 02-08-2016 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_08 (Post 2941462)
I haven't clicked with it yet, but you could use a kaxe for that slot, but it pushes that fast mid tweener range that may cause overlap with the gazelle. I used to really like a fresh scout for the shot you are talking about, but I was running into consistency problems.

I have temporarily pulled the Star Gazelles out of my bag because of the tweener overlap. I noticed in your bag selection that you as well throw the Truth and Verdict combo. The Gazelle has a touch more HSS than the Truth, but there is so much overlap there in what they can do that I pulled the Gazelle out and put the Star PFN TeeBird back in. The Gazelle and that particular TeeBird have essentially the same flight but the TeeBird can out-distance it by 20 or so feet.

I am never going to trade away my Star Gazelles, but as long as I run the Truth/ Verdict/ FD/ TeeBird combo, there is no real room for the Gazelle. However, having them and considering how great they are as a workhorse, if I pull any of those four other discs out of the bag, I know I can cover that gap with the Gazelle.

geo_08 02-08-2016 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smarkquart (Post 2941473)
I have temporarily pulled the Star Gazelles out of my bag because of the tweener overlap. I noticed in your bag selection that you as well throw the Truth and Verdict combo. The Gazelle has a touch more HSS than the Truth, but there is so much overlap there in what they can do that I pulled the Gazelle out and put the Star PFN TeeBird back in. The Gazelle and that particular TeeBird have essentially the same flight but the TeeBird can out-distance it by 20 or so feet.

I am never going to trade away my Star Gazelles, but as long as I run the Truth/ Verdict/ FD/ TeeBird combo, there is no real room for the Gazelle. However, having them and considering how great they are as a workhorse, if I pull any of those four other discs out of the bag, I know I can cover that gap with the Gazelle.

I like the verdict and may keep that in my bag, but am pulling the truths and attempting the roc cycle. I was getting overlaps with the truth (not so much the verdict) as far as distance, but wasn't finding it as predictable as the gazelle.

Kodachrome 02-08-2016 02:17 PM

Thankfully I'm not very worried about overlap. Way I see it....

Kc aviar drives just fine in some wind and goes far enough to reach the point where a comet or hornet can take over from a standstill.

The hornet can power down okay for nasty wind short duty or really crank on it for more of a straight to hard fade, add a little anny or loop it out right farther if I want it to end in front of me. Doesn't get used very often.

Comet basically handles any super tight fairways with no-fade situations at shorter distances as well as finesse long approach.

I personally feel I don't have much overlap. I mainly will be interested to see how OS the double stamp is versus my hornet.

Kodachrome 02-10-2016 03:14 PM

Got my double stamp today. Very slightly higher plh and definitely less dome. Not disappointed, but was hoping it would be what you'd call a freak. That's alright though. Slightly more OS and better in the wind due to less dome? I'll take it. This thing is gonna be bagged for years before it breaks in to a laser, I bet.

geo_08 02-10-2016 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kodachrome (Post 2943123)
Got my double stamp today. Very slightly higher plh and definitely less dome. Not disappointed, but was hoping it would be what you'd call a freak. That's alright though. Slightly more OS and better in the wind due to less dome? I'll take it. This thing is gonna be bagged for years before it breaks in to a laser, I bet.

My double stamp has seen quite a few trees and it is just now approaching my fresh CFR glows. I have a new one on the way to replace it.

So out of curiosity what are people pairing with their gazelles? I never liked the leo so I have various PLSs that mesh into where my gazelles leave off.

Kodachrome 02-10-2016 04:08 PM

^ you don't just throw more gazelles?

i've got dx right now, and then i'll be replacing the dx with gstar. the gstar teebirds i used to throw couldn't take abuse much better than pro.

geo_08 02-10-2016 04:12 PM

I could, but I really like the PLS's and for wooded shots I would rather throw them than a dx gazelle. I also have some QPLS's that fly pretty close to gazelle ish.

Some days ones flies better than the other. And I haven't beaten in a gazelle enough that if flies like my favorite understable PLS.

Bogey H8tr 02-11-2016 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Questatement (Post 2927541)
And they have that old school pearliness. Combined with the stamp, one of the most stylish non OOP discs that I own as I get comments on it quite often.

What color do you have? Looking to grab one to try it out but don't know what color is the most pearly / looks the best.

AlexJensen86 02-11-2016 01:23 PM

My yellow looks AMAZING. Talking bout cheetahs right

Bogey H8tr 02-11-2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexJensen86 (Post 2943773)
My yellow looks AMAZING. Talking bout cheetahs right

Yeah talking about the cheetahs. Hoping they fly just a bit straighter than the gazelles I have.

geo_08 02-11-2016 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bogey H8tr (Post 2943865)
Yeah talking about the cheetahs. Hoping they fly just a bit straighter than the gazelles I have.

What gazelles do you have?

I personally tend to like the pinks, oranges, and purples in pearly innova plastic.

jdw80550 02-11-2016 05:03 PM

Just in case anyone wants to know, which you probably don't, I call my double eagle stamped gazelles, "queagles" for quad eagle

geo_08 02-11-2016 05:16 PM

Why quad eagle and not deagle for double eagle? (he goes to see if there are four eagles on his double stamp).

Or how about Gazeagles lol

Kodachrome 02-11-2016 05:29 PM

^ kinda what I was wondering.

Kodachrome 02-11-2016 11:01 PM

got 3 gstars on the way. :D

between the 3 gstar, 2 cfr glo, 1 double stamp (i might have to get more; we'll see) and dx for my roller stuff until the gstar gets trashed, i'm gonna be good for a while.

now we just need the snow to GTFO here! i'm chomping at the bit, haven't really been excited to throw plastic like this in a while!

geo_08 02-11-2016 11:26 PM

I need to do a proshop order, just have to convince myself to spend that much.

geo_08 02-12-2016 06:28 PM

Got my heard of gazelles in!!!
http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...212_171740.jpg

Kodachrome 02-12-2016 08:03 PM

Nice!!! I'm a sucker for pink, I habitually hoard whites for dye jobs, but that green one nearly blew my eyeballs out of my head. That's my favorite.

geo_08 02-12-2016 08:35 PM

I know the stamp really pops on it. And I may have its opposite coming in the "broken leg" or "field dressed" stamp. Some of those will be great throwers. Waiting to hear back from another individual who has some more old gazelles. Time to start collecting KC stamps.

ilmcgee 02-12-2016 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geo_08 (Post 2944176)
I need to do a proshop order, just have to convince myself to spend that much.

I may be able to help on that order. Couple things I'm considering. Are you considering the pro gazelles? Man, I wish they molded more in pro plastic.

geo_08 02-12-2016 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilmcgee (Post 2944820)
I may be able to help on that order. Couple things I'm considering. Are you considering the pro gazelles? Man, I wish they molded more in pro plastic.

Yeah among other things. You've got my number.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:20 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.