Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

R-Ogre 06-11-2020 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3595741)
Agreed with the first part, but strongly disagree with the bolded section. Agree with David, that there's nothing abnormal about different people being affected in different ways. Aside from inherited differences, there are also lifestyle factors playing into it. Wouldn't you expect someone with preexisting health issues to have a tougher time than an otherwise healthy adult? I think it's quite a leap to say that the different outcomes are due to "something mechanized". You're jumping past plenty of other explanations that would require less new assumptions.

The other thing is since were seeing insane numbers of cases in such a short time, were seeing what would be years worth of the weird, oddball side effects and manifestations all packed into a couple months.

Monocacy 06-11-2020 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3595743)
But if the health dept doesnt catch that case, some self-action would be better than nothing right? I mean, Im just thinking if I got the rona, other than in-passing contact at the store I could make a pretty decent effort at contacting people Id been around.

Sure, that would help. And just in case you become an amateur contact tracer:

For COVID-19, a close contact is defined as any individual who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 2 days before illness onset (or, for asymptomatic patients, 2 days prior to positive specimen collection) until the time the patient is isolated.

Quote:

Originally Posted by R-Ogre (Post 3595743)
But yes on a macro scale there needs to be a plan and a program. Im just saying that on a micro scale, all of us can help to fill in the gaps whether its be minimizing contacts as much as possible or by wearing masks In indoor public places.

Agree and agree.

DiscFifty 06-11-2020 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert (Post 3595686)
I don't think the larger amount of testing really means anything.

Alot of people (myself included) think that the more testing reveals more cases which lowers the death rate. Doesn't that make sense? :confused:

ru4por 06-11-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3595801)
Alot of people (myself included) think that the more testing reveals more cases which lowers the death rate. Doesn't that make sense? :confused:

We will see.....and I hope so.

LateWesternSky 06-11-2020 02:20 PM

Quote:

Yea, that's how it works assuming the extra testing you do is on people who generally have a better survival rate.

But what is the point of lowering the death rate in this way?

ru4por 06-11-2020 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LateWesternSky (Post 3595830)
Yea, that's how it works assuming the extra testing you do is on people who generally have a better survival rate.

But what is the point of lowering the death rate in this way?

Lol...exactly. The death rate does not really change anyway. The death rate is static. Our data and understanding of it, is the only thing that changes.

Monocacy 06-11-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

More testing lowers the "case fatality rate" (deaths divided by confirmed cases).

More testing does not change the "infection fatality rate" (deaths divided by infections)

But more testing does give us a better idea of the number of people infected, which is a good thing.

DiscFifty 06-11-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3595847)
More testing lowers the "case fatality rate" (deaths divided by confirmed cases).

ah..ok.. my wording is off, thank you for the clarification. So just to clear.... overall..the more people that actually get it and are confirmed to have it, that would lower the "case fatality rate". Without sounding morbid.. and I mean do disrespect to those suffering, but isn't lowering the case fatality rate a good thing? This is the discussion I am seeing alot of in social media. Thx.

Dan Cooper 06-11-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3595847)

More testing does not change the "infection fatality rate" (deaths divided by infections)

But more testing does give us a better idea of the number of people infected, which is a good thing.

What is difference between confirmed cases and infections? To me it sounds like the same thing.

Countchunkula 06-11-2020 04:13 PM

^There are likely many infections that haven't been confirmed via test.