Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

BogeyNoMore 06-30-2020 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3602097)
I pick up gimmes, putt when it is not a gimme, avoid touching the basket when retrieving my disc, and keep hand sanitizer in the car. If I was in a higher-risk group I would probably take fewer putts, or maybe carry hand sanitizer in the bag.

^This!

WeatherWimp 06-30-2020 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orioles_Lefty (Post 3602176)
For me it was how Nikko just kept appearing standing right next to people on the lead card..

I didnít get that either. What made it OK for him to join the lead card? I watched the days live and at least once heard the tournament director say only players and media could be on the course. Additionally, caddies were not allowed.

Yet for the final lead card Nikki appears, even caddied for a little while. And all of a sudden there were spectators. I get they were volunteers and maybe they deserved to go watch the MPO finals, but sorta flies in the face of why there were no spectators and caddies allowed to begin with.

BogeyNoMore 06-30-2020 07:28 PM

SMFH that big name players can't behave responsibly with regard to Covid. You can still be social and enjoy each other's company without being intruding into personal space

DavidSauls 06-30-2020 09:41 PM

Interestingly, a couple of my local tournaments just cancelled. They cleared PDGA sanctioning and local regulations, but the TD decided to err for safety, and pulled the plug.

ru4por 06-30-2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dcinmd (Post 3602117)
Did you even notice that you had it? I am guess in all likelihood I would test positive for antibodies as well since I have not been able to quarantine due to work. But I am still following all protocols and still testing my temperature/O2 levels at home a minimum of every other day.

Social distancing is easier for an Introvert.

I have had a series of three antibody tests. 1 negative and the next two positive. Looking back at the timeline, yes. I felt like dog**** for about 3 days. Dismissed it as allergies and working my butt off. No fever, no cough, just fatigue and a stuffy headache. I worked through it. Probably a poor decision, in hindsight. Granted, it was a 100% COVID unit, but still could have impacted the facility and staff. My wife has remained negative. Luckily, my hospital system made this serology test available to family as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeatherWimp (Post 3602162)
The thing is it can be single vector. One example is somebody coughs or sneezes on the basket and your hand brushes the chains that surround your disc while getting your disc out. Not all that much different than people getting it from elevator buttons, door knobs, etc. so it doesn't have to be the long path of player to disc to basket to your disc and your hand, it can be more direct than that.

I know there was the one study that showed above 72 in sunlight the virus doesn't live all that long, but there are trees shading a lot of baskets here.

While the object transmission of the virus is a gravel road vs the interstate that is breathing in enough infected droplets, was curious where people were drawing the line for their risk tolerance.

Somewhat related, I still haven't figured out seeing a couple of guys playing with discs in their hands bear hugging baskets as they played. They were not fooling around pretending to infect them, it almost looked like they were trying to rip the baskets up or something. It was quite odd to see but I was too far away to ever get close enough to see why they were doing that. Just sort of reminds me that you never know what people did 20 minutes before you get there.

I agree with all of the above. There is a real risk. Less than many things. Though, I am pretty deliberate in removing my disc from the basket. When I can, I make use of a 'Rone zone. It is just good practice in the new world.

Smigles 07-01-2020 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3602236)
Interestingly, a couple of my local tournaments just cancelled. They cleared PDGA sanctioning and local regulations, but the TD decided to err for safety, and pulled the plug.

I hope more take his example. You guys are still in the middle of wave 1, it's actualy accelerating again. Opening up the country was a purely political decision by mister "if we slow down testing we have less new cases".

biscoe 07-01-2020 06:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3602236)

I am considering pulling the plug on one of my team events- those formats don't seem like they can be held as easily in good conscience.

DavidSauls 07-01-2020 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smigles (Post 3602284)
I hope more take his example. You guys are still in the middle of wave 1, it's actualy accelerating again. Opening up the country was a purely political decision by mister "if we slow down testing we have less new cases".

Without defending any one particular person, even that particular person, I'll quote the old Pogo comic strip: "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

Opening Up wasn't exactly forced down the throats of an unwilling public. Nor, at least where I am, is it completely to blame: our state governor opened many things up (but not all), with restrictions, and otherwise pleaded with people to act responsibly. Half the population interpreted those last 2 words the same way 14-year-olds always do.

DavidSauls 07-01-2020 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biscoe (Post 3602287)
I am considering pulling the plug on one of my team events- those formats don't seem like they can be held as easily in good conscience.

My next event is at the end of October. I figure affairs will make a decision for me, before I have to.

The even-more-impressive thing about a local TD canceling the upcoming events, is that this particular TD is in his early 20s.

biscoe 07-01-2020 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidSauls (Post 3602292)
My next event is at the end of October. I figure affairs will make a decision for me, before I have to.

The even-more-impressive thing about a local TD canceling the upcoming events, is that this particular TD is in his early 20s.

This particular team event isn't until October either. I honestly don't think the situation is going to change much between now and then at least as regards these events. The virus will still be here and people will still be dealing with it in varying ways from complete isolation to complete idiocy.