Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

roggenb3 07-10-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smigles (Post 3605635)
When 70% of the population in whatever area i want to move in are vaccinated, after the vaccine has been proven to actually work.

I give it summer 2022.

That's never happening unless the area you want to move to is not in the US, or is one of a handful of the most liberal cities.

That's the funniest part of all this. Our populace is so dumb that even an effective vaccine won't get us herd immunity.

robdeforge 07-10-2020 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeatherWimp (Post 3605659)
Not anedotal but perhaps worse....a poll!!! ;) 88 vs 72 (Dem vs Rep) reported wearing masks of some sort/times seems to be quite far, far away from your vast, vast majority are Trump fans. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...hers-doing-it/

Interesting to me that you shared the 88 - 72 number, but not the following passage:

“ This partisan divide is also found in the behaviors of the general public: Democrats and those who lean Democratic are more likely than Republicans and Republican leaners to say they personally wore a mask all or most of the time in the past month (76% vs. 53%)”

I don’t believe those response numbers in the first place. Additionally that statement is about mask wearing, which is mandated in some places so I’m not sure I’d qualify that as evidence for the point you’re trying to make.

Thanks for trying though :)

WeatherWimp 07-10-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3605664)
Interesting to me that you shared the 88 - 72 number, but not the following passage:

This partisan divide is also found in the behaviors of the general public: Democrats and those who lean Democratic are more likely than Republicans and Republican leaners to say they personally wore a mask all or most of the time in the past month (76% vs. 53%)

I dont believe those response numbers in the first place. Additionally that statement is about mask wearing, which is mandated in some places so Im not sure Id qualify that as evidence for the point youre trying to make.

Thanks for trying though :)

??? What is interesting? The quote you pulled indicates Dems are more likely than Reps to say they personally wore a mask, but doesn't indicate a vast, vast difference. The numbers I pulled 88%of Dems and 72% of Reps indicates.....the exact same thing, more Dems wear masks than Reps but doesn't show a vast, vast difference????? :confused: I actually didn't even see the quote you pulled or probably would have just used it. Instead, I used math on the little cutout I saw skimming down the page, lol.

Remember I was merely responding to your vast, vast were Trump supporter comment, not saying the percentages were equal or anything like that.

Your "nice try" comment again comes across as another attempt to score a gotcha so I'll just leave you with you already indicated your vast, vast are Trump supporters comment wasn't a very valid comment with the youth argument. Not sure why you ignored my anecdotal examples completely for some reason. As you coudl pick up from my post above, I believe polls and anecdotal examples are not much "proof" but I'll let you change my mind that there is not a vast, vast political difference but do so without using anecdotal examples or polls.

Hampstead 07-10-2020 03:08 PM

I'm thankful that I'm old enough to have been to hundreds of concerts, have traveled most places I wanted to go and have been to enough parties to last a few lifetimes. No idea what it will take for me to feel comfortable going out to bars, parties, concerts, sporting events, etc., again. I'm living as though 2020 is cancelled and I'll reassess next year.

WeatherWimp 07-10-2020 03:42 PM

For us I’m not sure I look at it as cancelled. Sure going to events and stuff yes. But like somebody said a few posts back, there has been some glass is half full stuff come out of this too.

I have more rounds of disc golf in this year than probably any 5 year period combined, we eat at home which is both healthier and less expensive, the house is more organized, less busy means no excuses and I workout more regularly, etc.

Not that I wouldn’t want a vaccine to come out tomorrow, but we’ve been blessed to be able to weather this so far without going stir crazy.

Countchunkula 07-10-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3605688)
I'm thankful that I'm old enough to have been to hundreds of concerts, have traveled most places I wanted to go and have been to enough parties to last a few lifetimes. No idea what it will take for me to feel comfortable going out to bars, parties, concerts, sporting events, etc., again. I'm living as though 2020 is cancelled and I'll reassess next year.

This...but I don't like it.

In 2019, I busted my ass at work like never before in my life and was planning on the pendulum swinging back in 2020. Plans change. I'll continue to weigh the risks and likely stay away from the activities you mention, but I've got to admit it's wearing on me already.

Like many of us in the US, I haven't experienced true hardship like those in previous generations or less wealthy countries have. I'm also not saying that what I'm currently experiencing is in any way true hardship. My old man worked his ass off so his kids would have it easier than he did and I'm the product of that.

DiscFifty 07-10-2020 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robdeforge (Post 3605481)
I think the vast, vast majority of people not taking it seriously are Trump supporters.

BUT I am open to having my mind changed about this :) do you have any information that could do so?

I could be wrong, but seems like recent stats show a higher percentage of people getting the virus are under 30. I see a lot of young people in videos not wearing masks. Guessing most of these people are not Trump supporters by any means.

ThrowBot 07-10-2020 06:30 PM

The soonest thing I'm really looking forward to going back to semi-normal will be snowboarding this December, and even that is probably optimistic. I think it should be feasible with some thought given to how lift lines are handled. But that's 5 months away...basically an eternity in pandemic times. So who knows what the situation will be.

McCready 07-10-2020 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3605688)

Same here. I was already feeling like many of those activities were been there, done that and dreading my wife scheduling the next party or trip. I was bummed about a Pearl Jam show getting postponed, but Ive seen them 30 times.

Building furniture at home, jumping in the pool, playing with the dog and firing up the grill is not a terrible substitute for going on another damn cruise ship. And Im hopeful that well do concerts and trips again at some point, and well appreciate it more after being deprived for so long. Given the real suffering out there, missing out on those things is barely a blip. Atlanta is setting up ICU beds in a huge conference hall as we speak.

McCready 07-10-2020 07:01 PM

On-topic post at my local course, still hordes of young bros playing rounds, keeping no distance and high-fiving. I dont even give it a thought anymore. Were in a pandemic, its getting really bad, and lots of people are living in an alternate reality. Whaddya gonna do? :shrug: