Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

BogeyNoMore 04-19-2020 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3577386)
I'm not playing down anything, but saying that the USA has more cases than anyone is like saying Ohio has more cases than Rhode Island so Ohio must have done it wrong.
Per capita is the correct number. It's always about percentage.

Point taken. But for a country that has far fewer people than China or India, and what we like to think is better healthcare and perhaps even a more "sophisticated" population...for us to have more cases seems concerning.

DavidSauls 04-19-2020 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus (Post 3577381)
I wouldn't want to encourage anyone to choose their beliefs based on wishes and convenience (as so many do) but there are sometimes valid reasons that some doubt scientific authorities. This is illustrated by my last encounter with epidemiology.

In 2005 my wife and I were working as gear sherpas for a couple of geologists in the Caribbean. Learning a lot from this experience, I became interested in the geology of one particular region back home, and studied it as a hobby for a few years. I recieved several research permits and grants to work in two caves owned by the State of Pennsylvania. Halfway through this project my permits were revoked due to the influence of USFWS policy that assumed, based on tons of science, that humans were spreading a deadly fungal disease between bat populations. But they weren't, and it was easy to see the science being bent into the desired conclusion. In fact, some of the very studies being used to prove human spread remain to this day the most powerful evidence against human spread. A lot of ignorant people took this bad science very seriously.

What has this little story got to do with the current situation? Not much. Only I didn't and don't fully understand the motives of those bat biologists, and I don't understand the motives of these current epidemiologists. I don't deny their conclusions, but I don't trust them. Any of them, at either extreme. Everyone has an angle. There is no mechanism in place to protect we the ignorant from those angles. Peer review sounds great but it's useless if we aren't peers of the scientists. Our trust of science is a religion most similar to Catholicism in the times of clerical peer-review and dispensation to the wholly ignorant masses.

Science has proved its power. It has yet to prove its wisdom.

My question isn't why someone disbelieves the scientific consensus. Or disbelieves all science, for that matter. That's another issue.

It is, if you disbelieve the scientific consensus but believe what one scientist from Bolivia claims---what is it about that one scientist in Bolivia that makes him credible, when the bulk of the community is not?

Assuming, of course, that you are not that scientist in Bolivia, yourself.

Hampstead 04-19-2020 10:20 PM

I disbelieve the value of anything pathetic arm posts.

-shrug-

erock216 04-19-2020 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broomerang (Post 3577391)
:thmbup: Thanks Jay Dub. We're doing our best to stay safe, keeping plenty of distance, no touching, no putting. We've all got loved ones we're concerned about and wouldn't want to be the guy that puts them in the hospital.

We've seen some idiots out there. Honestly though we've seen far more non-disc golfer idiots than. There are more of these people than disc golfers so that makes sense. We keep an extra wide berth of those groups.

I'm still way more concerned about the hour a week I'm forced to go into the grocery store than my round of disc golf. I have a very stressful job with long hours (working from home, no risk), a round a week has been the highlight of my week for a long time. I'm blessed to have throwing partners like Jay Dub who are good people and not idiots that I need to be worried about being around while this Covid stuff is going on.

Lucky. Lotsa just the flu Trump bros be frolfing it up around here.

Jay Dub 04-19-2020 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by erock216 (Post 3577397)
Lucky. Lotsa just the flu Trump bros be frolfing it up around here.

:D

BogeyNoMore 04-19-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3577395)
I disbelieve the value of anything pathetic arm posts.

-shrug-

Never seen him play, so I can't comment about his arm. But I've read his some of his posts, and I can't argue with his choice of adjectives.

ejvogie 04-19-2020 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3577392)
Point taken. But for a country that has far fewer people than China or India, and what we like to think is better healthcare and perhaps even a more "sophisticated" population...for us to have more cases seems concerning.

I doubt very much that any numbers coming out of China are reported truthfully, much less accurately.

I DO however believe the numbers coming out of N Korea. No cases seems about right, I'm sure they "cure" a patient as soon as they suspect an infection. ;)

brutalbrutus 04-19-2020 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3577413)
I doubt very much that any numbers coming out of China are reported truthfully, much less accurately.

I DO however believe the numbers coming out of N Korea. No cases seems about right, I'm sure they "cure" a patient as soon as they suspect an infection. ;)

I wonder how many people have "gone on vacation" since this started for clearing their throats in his presence?...

BogeyNoMore 04-19-2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ejvogie (Post 3577413)

The numbers could be misleading for a variety of reasons. I believe the Chinese government might want to misteoresent the number of cases and deaths. But with testing being as limited as it is, I don't know that any country has a accurate handle on how many people actually developed Covid.

Hampstead 04-20-2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3577412)
Never seen him play, so I can't comment about his arm. But I've read his some of his posts, and I can't argue with his choice of adjectives.

I disbelieve the value of your observation of adjectives.