Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   15 times champion (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=127811)

SonicGuy 06-16-2017 05:02 PM

15 times champion

So why don't we consider Ken Climo the 15x world champion? We count the women's protected division as a world championship, why not masters?

I'm ready for a 15x KC teebird.

Halcón 06-16-2017 05:17 PM

Why would you equate Pro Masters to FPO?

Broken Shoulder 06-16-2017 05:20 PM

Because neither is Open.

bwgort 06-16-2017 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3192012)
Because neither is Open.

FPO is Open.

t i m 06-16-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicGuy (Post 3192005)
So why don't we consider Ken Climo the 15x world champion? We count the women's protected division as a world championship, why not masters?

Probably because it's a slippery slope... if you count Masters, do you also count GMs, Legends, etc? There are plenty of people who are world champions many times over in age-protected divisions who will never have their name on a disc.

WPO is an easier line to draw. Virtually every sport has separate divisions for men and women, and there's a longstanding tradition of honoring the highest performing individuals of each gender.

Innova63 06-16-2017 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicGuy (Post 3192005)

I am pretty sure I have heard KC call himself a 12xchamp.....

SonicGuy 06-16-2017 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bwgort (Post 3192018)
FPO is Open.

Open to only a demographic subset. Same with masters and juniors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t i m (Post 3192021)
Probably because it's a slippery slope... if you count Masters, do you also count GMs, Legends, etc? There are plenty of people who are world champions many times over in age-protected divisions who will never have their name on a disc.

WPO is an easier line to draw. Virtually every sport has separate divisions for men and women, and there's a longstanding tradition of honoring the highest performing individuals of each gender.

Whether each person deserves their name on a disc isn't the point, Climo already has his name on many discs. Right now he is being shorted by 3 championships on his record.

Saying that we historically exclude age protected championships is agism. At one point we historically excluded women from voting, was that a good argument?

The way I see it we have gender protected divisions to match up women with their physiological peers. We honor the champions because they are the best among that physiological peer group. We have masters divisions for the exact same purpose, yet we do not honor their championships with the same vigor. What gives?

Cgkdisc 06-16-2017 06:01 PM

We're not even sure what defines a man versus woman any more.

cefire 06-16-2017 06:05 PM

Why does masters start at 40? We could have an open division for 30, 31, 32, ..., 120. We could have weight classes or classes for arm span (probably more relevant).

Recognize that all of these divisions are arbitrary to some extent. Then it becomes a bit more murky why/when some deserve the title of "world champion".

EDIT: I'm totally cool with a new batch of 15x KC Aviars tho

roggenb3 06-16-2017 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SonicGuy (Post 3192027)
Saying that we historically exclude age protected championships is agism.

No, it isn't. It's just a definition. World Champ = Open World Champ.