Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Newbie Intros and Q&A (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=69)
-   -   Hello all New to DGC and DG (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128645)

PyroLionheart 09-02-2017 03:38 PM

Hello all New to DGC and DG

Hi all New to DiscGolf here from being a regular ball golf player. And took a while learn my swing in golf. So question is what's best way to improve my throwing so my discs don't break hard left about halfway in flight. I'm a right hand back hand thrower. Oh and also how to best adjust putting when close to basket seem to either over throw or under throw by two disc spaces the couple times been out be practicing.

PBokor 09-02-2017 03:40 PM

What discs are you tossing?

PyroLionheart 09-02-2017 03:46 PM

My discs

So all three are Innova
Driver(D)- wraith (11/5/-1/3)
Mid-Rang- VRoc (4/4/0/1)
Putt&Approach- Colt (3/4/-1/1)

PBokor 09-02-2017 03:56 PM

Put the Wraith away for a little bit. It's like learning to hit a driver before you can control your PW. I like my Colt (150g) and everyone seems to like the VRoc. Start small and work up. 100' straight most times, move back. Else move up. Don't develop bad habits you'll need to break later.

Get a cheapo practice basket and putt daily. Putting is highly individualistic (like BG), experiment.

Most importantly, have fun. DG has completely replaced BG in my limited spare time

PyroLionheart 09-02-2017 04:02 PM

Thanks. :). So would the Leopard be a better driver to start with?

PBokor 09-02-2017 04:10 PM

That's what I did. Still have three Leopards in my Innova bag (150, 162, 172g). They're as fast a disc as I can reliably control (think 5W) and generally go where I aim them. No use getting an extra 50' if I'm pitching out from deep rough.

Like BG, follow through is everything. Slow. smooth back swing, accelerate through release.

tbird888 09-02-2017 04:12 PM

The Leopard would be worlds better to learn to throw. The first thing that most new players learn as they start to get better is that rated speed on a disc doesn't always mean more distance. It more references having to throw the disc faster and with refined technique. Something to think about is that discs considered "putters" today used to be drivers.

Don't be afraid to throw slower discs now, especially while you're learning since they'll expose form flaws much more easily allowing you to progress faster and with less headaches. Unfortunately, they will be more frustrating initially because of the less forgiving nature. It won't take long to figure out how to throw them correctly though so don't get too stressed. This site's technique forum is filled with knowledgeable and helpful members that will help you progress properly. Don't be afraid to utilize the resource.

The biggest thing to remember, while you're ironing out your technique is to have fun. Welcome to the sport.

PyroLionheart 09-02-2017 04:16 PM

Ok cool that helps allot thank you thank you. :)

PBokor 09-02-2017 04:21 PM

One last suggestion, from a fellow newcomer to DG, find a doubles league and get involved early. I played solo for my first year and regret it more than any other sports mistake I have made.. Dubs improved my game immediately. Great advice (if I asked), option to throw other's discs and watch how they shaped lines. Instant gratification.

PyroLionheart 09-02-2017 04:23 PM

Cool cool yeah been looking at areas to play and seeing what's around def will look into that :). :-D