Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed) (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134065)

ThrowaEnvy 05-05-2019 09:22 PM

Old Farts Only 40+ (no kids allowed)

So some of us are still "young" in the spectrum and at heart. A fella I know played a 85th birthday round at our course on the "old farts" nine recently. I hope I'm still playing in 40 years.

Anyhow it struck me there's a lot of fellas that are a lot older than I assumed and that there might be some wisdom to be shared among us crafty older guys. Reducing body strain, the uses of Bengay etc. Saying you saw a mee mee on the Internet just to get in the head of that punk that just threw 450'. Complaints about how they don't make discs or DG Champions like they used to... Useful advice like that.

Welcome to the club!

BogeyNoMore 05-05-2019 11:48 PM

During a day trip a month ago, I ran into a 70+ yr old local (named Chris) during a round at Findley State Park, in Wellington, OH.
Three weeks later, I ran into him again at one of my local courses (Kensington Green)… which is a decently long and hilly course. So we finished the round together, and played the 2nd course (Kensington Blue). Gotta give Chris credit for making it through both courses at 70 +. I know guys barely over half his age who run out of gas during a 2nd round.

Nova P 05-06-2019 12:41 AM

Apparently back in the day everyone who played disc golf was male, if I read the OP correctly.

ThrowaEnvy 05-06-2019 01:33 AM

You're right I tend to lean towards a friendly fella kinda vernacular but it's not intended to be less inclusive. I was spending more time on funny poll answers than political correctness. Way to get codgery on it! :)

ejvogie 05-06-2019 02:00 AM

The sun is NOT hotter than it used to be. Back in my day, it was 120 degrees in the shade, overnight, on the Winter Solstice.

DavidSauls 05-06-2019 06:33 AM

Global Warming. As everyone knows, things expand as they get warmer, and now the entire Earth has expanded, and in doing so stretched a lot of holes out of the reach of my drives.

DavidSauls 05-06-2019 06:35 AM

My other complaint is this newfangled social technology, with annoying things like poorly constructed polls with 1-choice radio buttons instead of check boxes ("click all that apply").

SD86 05-06-2019 08:36 AM

I get annoyed with people whose faces are buried in their smartphones as they play Pokemon or whatever game it is, and are crossing the DG course without the slightest awareness of what is going on around them.

lines 05-06-2019 08:59 AM

'What do you mean, push the button 5 times?'

runningDoc 05-06-2019 09:04 AM

I'm an newly 40yo fart and have a complaint about us older than 40 crowd:

Yo old guy: just because you can't throw a sidearm more than 199ft doesn't mean you have to expound that throwing a riskier backhand turnover is a better shot. moreover why is your backhand turnover garbage a better shot than a sidearm turnover?!

I say to your OLD MAN "GET OF MY LAWN" LOGIC, "you get of MY LAWN". :p

I get this a ton because I'm left handed over 40yo and play with a great group of even older gentlemen. When they are throwing their old man 145g starlite terns with Right handed backhand hyzers 300ft and its my turn to throw I'll inevitably get the "you should throw a backhand turnover here" and I scoff and sidearm a left hand hyzer with a fairway driver just as well.

i started playing dg at 37yo and was lucky enough not to be so dependent on what i started throwing (left hand backhand) and slowly learned how sidearm to the point where I can sidearm pretty much as confidently as my backhand. it took a year and a half (to learn proper form) but it got there. turnover putter flick (i can do it!), hyzer putter flick (yup!), 350 distance driver flex (hells yeah), sidearm midrange hyzer approach from 200 (yeah baby).

don't be afraid to learn new things fellow older people! this year I'm learning how to do overhead shots (tomahawks and thumbers). maybe I'll learn how to do distance rollers too.