Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do you like gimmicks? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137616)

oldmandiscer 09-21-2020 08:24 AM

Do you like gimmicks?

Do you like raised baskets and artificial OB or do you prefer pure/natural disc golf?

GripEnemy 09-21-2020 08:34 AM

I prefer whichever is more stable:|

On a more serious note, why the groupings? I like raised baskets, dislike artificial OB.

Jugular 09-21-2020 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripEnemy (Post 3634301)

On a more serious note, why the groupings? I like raised baskets, dislike artificial OB.

I like pure and natural raised baskets and clearly delineated OB and not artificial nature and prescribed heights.

oldmandiscer 09-21-2020 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripEnemy (Post 3634301)

I thought they would go hand in hand, because both are very understable. Like fake ta ta's, puffed up lips and clown makeup versus natural beauty.

DavidSauls 09-21-2020 08:49 AM

I like good design, however it's accomplished.

Discraft Dad 09-21-2020 08:50 AM

I don't like either of them. It seems like every other basket in the major tourney is raised. Its losing its uniqueness when you have nearly a third of the baskets raised like that.

BogeyNoMore 09-21-2020 08:58 AM

Grip makes an excellent point, in that the two can be employed independently of each other.

Raised baskets really force players to think a bit more about those decisions to run vs lay-up. I don't want to see them on every hole, but a few out of 18 is great.

Generally, I don't like artificial OB, but there are some situations where I think it can make a hole better. Toboggan #3 is a great example. I'm a fan of the left side OB rope line they started using in 2019. It forces plyers to play #3s fairway, rather than bailing out into the tall grass on the left side for the much easier up and down.

I also like the OB area that separates #1 from #17.

The key is, to use it where it's needed, and not to make it random... so that players have a crystal clear idea of what they need to do. It should rewarded players for for hitting their line, not penalize them for it.

JuanA 09-21-2020 10:07 AM

I chose raised baskets and artificial OB because I know exactly where this thread is going.

Smaller basket discussion in 3...2....1....GO!

ILUVSMGS18 09-21-2020 10:15 AM

I'm a big opponent of unnatural OB, raised baskets (1 per course is ok, but still not great, any more and it's too many) and mandos. Mandos and OB for safety reasons are fine with me, but putting a mando or OB in, just to make the hole harder is bad.

Hole 3 on Fox Run is a great example of too much OB, ditch the OB behind the pin, and force scrambles from errant drives/upshots instead of either a pitch and putt for 4/5 or a saveable 3/4. Its wooded enough behind that basket that not too many would be open looks.

elmexdela 09-21-2020 10:21 AM

locally we had a 18 holer with normally 4 raised baskets

that was gimmicky and overkill