Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Poison Ivy Help - Washing gear and clothing? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96231)

FightingTheTide 10-03-2013 10:55 AM

Poison Ivy Help - Washing gear and clothing?
I'm pretty sure I managed to get poison ivy on some of my gear, but I can't figure out exactly where. Is it possible that it's on my bag or my shoes? I'm not familiar with how the oils in poison ivy work, and if they stay on clothing.

Last week, I got a really bad break-out on my arm. In hindsight, I wasn't paying attention to where a disc landed from a practice throw, and then casually placed it in the fold of my arm to keep walking to my first shot. :wall: So now I am on Prednisone to fight it off (it's working well).

I did wipe down some of my discs with rubbing alcohol to try and erradicate it. However, a few days later, I started seeing small spots appear on my fingers...even my left hand (I am right handed). So it makes me think that I either got it on my shoes or on my bag, since I use both hands to take my shoes on and off, and to pick up my bag.

Would it be a bad idea to wash my bag and my shoes, and any other clothing that I used during that round? I also wasn't sure if the oils would just spread around more, and even spread into the washing machine.

Thanks ahead of time for any helpful thoughts.

Jukeshoe 10-03-2013 11:09 AM

I'd wash all your clothing, bag, and shoes using a liberal amount of detergent. I wouldn't worry too much about it "spreading around the washing machine" if you use detergent. That will break down the PI oils effectively.

I'd also use soap and cold water on the discs, just to be certain you've removed all the oils.

joshuajames 10-03-2013 11:21 AM

For the things you can't wash, use alcohol or technu.

mashnut 10-03-2013 11:43 AM

When using alcohol, remember that it's good for helping to lift the oil, but doesn't break it down. Rinsing/scrubbing is necessary to actually get the oils off instead of just moving them around. I've never had the oils still be on clothing after a trip through the washing machine, and I'm really sensitive to it.

Bamm 10-03-2013 12:21 PM

If I know I or my discs have been in or near poison oak, I fill the tub with hot water and dawn dish washing liquid and dump the discs in. Wash and dry all of them and then I drop in the bag. Scrub it inside and out and then let it air dry. Wash all clothes, shoes, socks as normal and that should take care of it............
If it came in contact or could have, wash it. Period......

BogeyNoMore 10-03-2013 12:44 PM

While it's important to remove the oils (urushiol) from clothing and gear, it doesn't bind to most stuff like it does to your skin. That's why you can wash it off of stuff with detergent, but soaps/detergents won't remove it from your skin once it binds.

As already mentioned, a really good washing with a healthy dose of detergent will take care of clothes, bedding, anything else you can stick in a washing mashine (possibly your bag... my Cabela bag came out fine).

Discs - a good scrubbing with soapy water seems to work.

People on the other hand: Tecnue, Zanfel, alchohol.
Once you have it, I don't recall how long you're able to transfer the oil onto things you touch, but I do know you can transfer it onto your bedding. :(

Pets: dunno :\ ....I'd treat 'em like peeople to be safe.

FightingTheTide 10-03-2013 01:48 PM

This is a great resource. Should it be sticky?

Thanks for the help! Just put my bag, straps, and shoes in the washing machine. They are on the porch now drying. I'll scrub all of my discs next. Hope this takes care of it.

zenbot 10-03-2013 02:10 PM

I bought a large bottle of Tecnu several years ago. Every time my disc goes into P.O. I pull it out with a towel and leave it wrapped up in the towel until I get to a water spigot. Then I rinse my arms and the disc. I used to get P.O. 1-2 times a year. Since, I've found my method, I haven't had it since.

zenbot<------gets P.O. at this weekend's tourney

mashnut 10-03-2013 03:18 PM

Also, I find it really helpful to turn clothing inside out when I take it off after coming in contact with poison oak/ivy. I've managed to wash it off my skin and avoid the rash, then end up in trouble when I go to put those clothes in the washer. The oils come out of clothes pretty easily, but if they're just sitting the oil will still be there even after a couple weeks.

weaktit 10-03-2013 05:51 PM

I swear shoelaces are like wicks for PO/I.
And don't forget to wipe your steering wheel, shifter, blinkers, door handles,........

Anybody ever hear of drinking goats milk from a goat that eats PO? To try to build up a resistance? I'm not trying it. :nono:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.