Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Gear (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   DIY field practice target? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140447)

Rastnav 10-26-2021 09:32 AM

DIY field practice target?

I’m looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I don’t want a portable basket. I’m not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore it’s basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod I’m going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

dmoore1998 10-26-2021 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastnav (Post 3763999)
I知 looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target that can be easily carried to a field for deployment as an aim point. I don稚 want a portable basket. I知 not trying to practice ace runs, and therefore it痴 basically just way heavier than I want.

A not great idea I had would be to get a surveyors stick from a home improvement store, slap a cheap ball golf pin flag on top, and then take a bucket of sand to stick the pin down in.

The bucket of sand would be, again, much heavier than I want.

Thought I had just now: I have a cheap tripod I知 going to retire because one piece of it is not in optimal shape. I could figure out how to put a flag on top of that. Although, I wonder if that would just end up getting blown over too often.

Home improvement stores have driveway markers so you know where to plow in the snow. Cheap, thin flagstick like, and just stick down into the ground easily. Lightweight, bright colors, less than a dollar.

Rastnav 10-26-2021 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dmoore1998 (Post 3764005)
Home improvement stores have driveway markers so you know where to plow in the snow. Cheap, thin flagstick like, and just stick down into the ground easily. Lightweight, bright colors, less than a dollar.

Probably not down here in NC, but I知 sure I can find something online.

ray1970 10-26-2021 11:33 AM

Call me simple but if I need a target I just use my bag.

jakebake91 10-26-2021 11:40 AM

A regular orange cone?

autocrosscrx 10-26-2021 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray1970 (Post 3764024)
Call me simple but if I need a target I just use my bag.

Every month or so, someone in our local group posts how they are doing fieldwork and someone will run up and steal their discs. So I'm pretty terrified that someone would take my bag.

GripEnemy 10-26-2021 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by autocrosscrx (Post 3764029)
Every month or so, someone in our local group posts how they are doing fieldwork and someone will run up and steal their discs. So I'm pretty terrified that someone would take my bag.

I feel terrible for those who lost discs, but that's pretty damn funny not gonna lie. People are pathetic.

Some little disc goblin terrorizing the fields!

jupiterboy 10-26-2021 12:18 PM

Tree trunk, pretty not bad.

Monocacy 10-26-2021 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rastnav (Post 3763999)
I知 looking for ideas on the easiest/best way to create a target . . .

Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiterboy (Post 3764038)
Tree trunk, pretty not bad.

^ Tree trunk, telephone pole, stop sign, bush, etc. are my usual field work targets. Shame there aren't any trees in NC. ;)

Driveway marker is a good idea, too. Can probably mail-order if not available locally.

autocrosscrx 10-26-2021 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GripEnemy (Post 3764030)
I feel terrible for those who lost discs, but that's pretty damn funny not gonna lie. People are pathetic.

Some little disc goblin terrorizing the fields!

In the same vein, the ones that crack me up are the stories of people playing holes next to the road. They throw their drive. Then a car passing by on the street slams on the brakes, the passenger gets out and runs and grabs the disc, gets back in the car and the car drives off.