Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Just starting out. Disc recommendations? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9069)

Micycle 11-13-2009 03:08 PM

Just starting out. Disc recommendations?

A friend took me disc golfing the other day and I'm looking into getting a set of discs. Any suggestions for someone just starting out?

jdggna 11-13-2009 03:15 PM

Nothing faster than a mid, unless its a leopard. Understable as well(Comet, wolf, stingray, etc)...and don't get max weights either. Low to mid 160s is more than enough. If you search the threads you'll find several threads with similar questions. They may not all be titled correctly though.

tn407 11-13-2009 03:23 PM

I have been playing for a about 8 months now. I would recommend getting a fairway driver or a midrange and a putter. If your local course(s) are wooded, a more durable plastic would probably be best. I started out with a champion teebird and pro rhyno. However, I would also recommend:

Fairway drivers:

- Innova Teebird
- Innova Leopard
- Discraft XL

Midranges:

- Discraft Buzzz
- Innova Roc
- Innova Cobra

Putters:

- Innova Rhyno (in pro plastic)
- Innova Star Aero

By the way, I would recommend mids and drivers in the mid 160's. Good luck with your search!

toothyfish 11-13-2009 03:41 PM

If I had it to do over:

Aviar (putter), Cobra or Coyote (mid), Leopard (fairway driver) - all about 165-167 in DX plastic

These will be easier to throw and learn on and not cost a fortune. As you get the hang of it, you could add a Roc, and then eventually a Teebird. These 5 would cover most of your game.

Don't get distance crazy, trying all the distance drivers. All in good time.

Of course, some help in proper technique from some of your more experienced friends and local club is just as important.

Technohic 11-13-2009 03:46 PM

Leopard, Stingray and Aviar. The old innova starter kit lol. Of course the new one is just as good as well, it just has a shark instead of Stingray. I imagine Discrafts starter kit would be good as well.

Stick with those until you start flipping the Leopard (driver) over. (Meaning it startes flying straight then turning right RHBH and doesnt come back left.)

colodiscgolfer 11-13-2009 04:04 PM

How good of an arm do you have in general? Are you pretty good at throwing an ultimate frisbee disc, baseball, football, etc... ? If you are already fairly accomplished at throwing something else, your learning curve will be steeper and you'll outgrow some of the very understable discs rather quickly.

thcdisc 11-13-2009 04:09 PM

valkyrie, leopard and aviar are the discs that are easiest to start out with

garublador 11-13-2009 04:55 PM

Yo'u're going to get a ton of answers with a lot of different disc suggestions.

Here's a good article about choosing discs:

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/r...ingadisc.shtml

I'd go with a S Wizard, DX Shark and Polaris LS.

duke6528 11-13-2009 05:38 PM

The new mako would be a good disc for a beginner.

MooTaters 11-13-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duke6528 (Post 189792)
The new mako would be a good disc for a beginner.

Agreed. If you're going to use a midrange for a driver get that or maybe the stingray. If you go for a fairway driver get a leopard not a teebird unless you receive someone's used beat in disc. For a putter I would say Anything from gateway if you can or then a soft magnet(discraft) or aviar(innova). As for weight stick as close to 165g as you can for the driver or midrange, but a putter people tend to like beefy(ish) so maybe 170-175g. I started with a 174g Super Soft voodoo. If all of this seems like too much to take in don't worry and see if your friend knows of a good shop with knowledgeable people or see if he will help you pick things out.

As for plastics. Innova cheapest to expensive it goes DX, pro, champion, star.(there is R-pro but no one likes R-pro, gets beat up too easily). See what feels right, plastics and all. Champion should be the most durable, then star, then I think pro and then DX.