Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Inevitable 2016 Pros Switching Sponsors Thread (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119004)

7ontheline 10-30-2016 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth (Post 3091332)
A lot of good players have left prodigy. and really who cares., do you like throwing their plastic should be a non sponsored players deciding factor.

I don't care if paige goes to lightning disc and rants and raves about the p51. it sucks rather she can throw it 400 feet or not.

She certainly threw that red Warden a lot during the USWDGC so I guess sponsored or not isn't a deciding factor for pros either.

frasnow 10-30-2016 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr.Smooth (Post 3091332)
A lot of good players have left prodigy. and really who cares., do you like throwing their plastic should be a non sponsored players deciding factor.

I don't care if paige goes to lightning disc and rants and raves about the p51. it sucks rather she can throw it 400 feet or not.

So many good players leaving Prodigy was too be expected. It was disappointing to see so many top pros get duped into joining Prodigy based on promises of longer-term income. Now reality has sunk in. The Prodigy businessmen have built their brand on the player's names, and the players are discovering the money isn't there. The whole thing felt shady from the start, which is why I haven't purchased a Prodigy product, and don't plan to ever.

I still like Big Jerm though. :hfive:

Flick Maniac 10-30-2016 09:02 AM

My qualm with Prodigy has been the naming convention. Watching a ITB with a Prodigy sponsored player does nothing for me even if if was idolizing said player. "My go to driver for big D is this 400G D2" I will have forgotten the code by the time I get to the store.

7ontheline 10-31-2016 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maskedavenger (Post 3091424)
My qualm with Prodigy has been the naming convention. Watching a ITB with a Prodigy sponsored player does nothing for me even if if was idolizing said player. "My go to driver for big D is this 400G D2" I will have forgotten the code by the time I get to the store.

Ya, you Fins have got it figured out...

Every disc golfer at some point, "Wow dude, you crushed the wind with that throw, what was it?"

You, "Slaidi."

Average DGer, "WTF:confused:"

DanJon 10-31-2016 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frasnow (Post 3091411)
So many good players leaving Prodigy was too be expected. It was disappointing to see so many top pros get duped into joining Prodigy based on promises of longer-term income. Now reality has sunk in. The Prodigy businessmen have built their brand on the player's names, and the players are discovering the money isn't there. The whole thing felt shady from the start, which is why I haven't purchased a Prodigy product, and don't plan to ever.

I still like Big Jerm though. :hfive:

So you know for certain that there were promises of long term income? As far as I know, the up front money was only for the first year. Besides this is Professional Disc Golf. I'm sure most sane people realize they're not getting rich.

Prodigy has lost a few people sure, but there's still a couple staying around. That should tell you something.

pappabearlee 10-31-2016 01:31 PM

Paige is smart to get off the ship before it goes under.
Zero demand for prodigy.
If they stay afloat for another year I would be blow away.

sidewinder22 10-31-2016 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maskedavenger (Post 3091424)
My qualm with Prodigy has been the naming convention.

That's the only thing I like about Prodigy and wish every manufacturer used that standard. When you are watching tournaments or ITB you should be able to tell what that disc does easily, I've never thrown most of Prodigy's discs, but I know what a D1 or M3 should fly like.

It's closer to ball golf since manufacturers still call a 7 iron and 7 iron only it's a Callaway 7 iron vs a Nike 7 iron. Even non-golfers now what a 7 iron is no matter the manufacturer, but even most hard core disc-golfers don't know what the hell a Slaidi does.

DanJon 10-31-2016 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappabearlee (Post 3091781)
Zero demand for prodigy.

Zero demand? You have access to sales info for every disc golf store in the world? That's crazy.

dehaas 10-31-2016 02:33 PM

I used to dislike the prodigy naming but it's like anything else, after a little time you get used to it. The only problem I see with it now is what happens when you want to release new molds between stabilities? They make some solid molds (f7, f5, m2, m4, d3, pa1, pa4 I've all thrown and liked) but nobody here locally has a good stock. I prefer to handle their stuff than order blindly online. I'd probably bag more of it if I had it accessible.

As far as them losing team members, you'd have to assume they knew some would leave after a couple of years. Either between getting poached by competitors or just dropping sponsorship for those not playing well.

DG is still small enough that any of the new manufacturers are still fairly regional. There are pockets where one brand hardly exists but others where they're fairly popular.

lyleoross 10-31-2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappabearlee (Post 3091781)
Zero demand for prodigy.

I'm gonna agree with Dan, this is a bit much.

I like their numbering convention, I'm not guessing what I'm getting. BTW I played before the Innova universal system. You were guessing when you bought a disc. Prodigy took that head on, and that takes chutzpah.

My problems with Prodigy are, their plastics leave me guessing. That isn't just them, all the manufacturers are bs about plastics. And I hate their drivers, not because they aren't good, but because I don't go over 22 mm on rim width and that is all they have, 23 or bigger. If they came out with a 20 to 22 mm series, I'd probably switch to them, again, because their numbering system tells me where I'm starting, and when I go to test a disc, I know where I am.

Oh and Paige, from the animostity, I'd guess somewhere someone had a personal issue, her, another player, or ownership. The notion that any player leaves because of plasitic is silly IMO.