Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   DGCR Announcements & News (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First Diamond Trusted Reviewer! (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11390)

lee76007 11-09-2022 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3850485)
How many 20 or 30 something's even post here any more? :confused:

For the past couple of years, seems all the activity on this forum is from people who qualify to play in age protected divisions.

Considering the age of folks who post on DGCR, "whippersnapper" refers to someone in their 40's. :\

I think there are more 20 or 30 somethings than we may think, at least observing, if not participating. If I see a new name "nice" a post, I'll check them out. Since earlier in the year, there's an 18-yearold whose followed my reviews, has played a little more than a year, and posted his first ace. The ace is the only time I've seen a post from him. I just pulled him up, and he was on here this morning. A twentysomething in my area started playing a year ago, was bagging courses I've played, and posting scores. Disappeared about 6 months ago. I'll keep their names silent.

The question is how we keep them coming back and the younger generations, and all staying with us, and perhaps they'll be inspired to eventually participate more. Wolfhaley did a good thing a few weeks ago, encouraging others to write their first reviews. Olorin, Wellsbranch and a few others who continue to give shout outs to those who are progressing writing reviews is probably the strongest encouragement for our newest "participants" to stay on DGCR.

BogeyNoMore 11-09-2022 05:24 PM

< Grumpy Old Man :mad:

Pizza God 11-09-2022 05:34 PM

I wonder how many courses my wife has actually played. She goes with me on several of my trips but usually only plays a couple of the courses at most.

ray1970 11-09-2022 05:35 PM

I gave a course a bad review. I should check back in and see if anyone gave me the thumbs down. Wasn’t that some sort of sign in the gladiator arena for one gladiator to kill their opponent? How did we go from using that sign to end a life to just mean you disagree with someone?

jupiterboy 11-09-2022 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ray1970 (Post 3850628)
I gave a course a bad review. I should check back in and see if anyone gave me the thumbs down. Wasn’t that some sort of sign in the gladiator arena for one gladiator to kill their opponent? How did we go from using that sign to end a life to just mean you disagree with someone?

I gave my neighborhood course a one star and it's my most popular review. :hfive:

Tyler J 11-10-2022 12:09 PM

Not sure when it happened or if it has already been noted, but lee76007 finally got a well deserved upgrade to Gold TR. Congrats!

HyooMac 11-10-2022 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jupiterboy (Post 3850630)
I gave my neighborhood course a one star and it's my most popular review. :hfive:

So you live in a neighborhood with poor designers and discerning reviewers....

lee76007 11-10-2022 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J (Post 3850796)
Not sure when it happened or if it has already been noted, but lee76007 finally got a well deserved upgrade to Gold TR. Congrats!

Thank you! This past Monday I was a silver commenting on a thread, when I hit post, I turned to gold. edfaits got me over the hump The Blockhouse Tiki Course I posted a few weeks ago. The past few weeks with the Tiki Course, and The Lake Marshall Open being telecast, I think I picked up about 5 new uniques between the two. I hope sometime in the next handful of years to take the mother of all course bagging trips the lower 48, to complete that uphill climb.

mndiscg 11-14-2022 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3850485)
How many 20 or 30 something's even post here any more? :confused:

For the past couple of years, seems all the activity on this forum is from people who qualify to play in age protected divisions.

Considering the age of folks who post on DGCR, "whippersnapper" refers to someone in their 40's. :\

33 here... Been bagging since 17.

pmay5 11-14-2022 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mndiscg (Post 3851428)
33 here... Been bagging since 17.

Wow! 449 courses played and 446 reviews written.
Following The Valkyrie Kid's model on here!! :hfive:

Keep up the good work Generation ... (fill in letter) er!! :clap:

DFrah 11-14-2022 02:01 PM

I'm just closing in on 30 myself. There are a few of us lurking around ;)

EspressoPatronum 11-14-2022 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrah (Post 3851461)
I'm just closing in on 30 myself. There are a few of us lurking around ;)

I'm 33 and I've been playing since 16, but really only using DGCR the last 10 years or so. Bagging more every year. These days we lose a lot of traffic to UDisc, but I've continued to feel there's a lot to like here (like objective review scoring).

wolfhaley 11-14-2022 05:40 PM

I'm 38, not an old guy quite yet 😁

BogeyNoMore 11-14-2022 08:32 PM

Glad we still got some whippersnappers out there. ;)



Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

DFrah 11-15-2022 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3851529)
Glad we still got some whippersnappers out there. ;)



Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!

ok boomer












;)

thrembo 11-15-2022 08:39 PM

Does Bogey identify as a Boomer or GEN X?

BogeyNoMore 11-15-2022 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3851749)
Does Bogey identify as a Boomer or GEN X?


Born in 1965, but I feel more like a Boomer than Gen X.

I'm the youngest of 3 siblings, so my older siblings were Boomers. No doubt that had some impact on me, as there are so many shared experiences.

Had I been born as the oldest in 1965, and grew up with two Gen X siblings, perhaps then I'd identify more with Gen X.

DiscinOhio 11-16-2022 10:24 PM

22 here 👋 Do I win? 😉

InnocentCrook 11-17-2022 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3824670)
I had been wondering for quite some time, why MrFrosty (Mark Dulaney) hadn't been posting reviews or even logging into DGCR. I just figured maybe he had taken some time off or perhaps he had a disc golf injury. I had written a couple times over the past few months to check up and see how he was doing to no avail. I'm not sure if this had been posted somewhere else or not, but i sadly just found out that Mark passed away in January. he was 64. We had talked several times about meeting up and throwing a round together, and i am saddened to know that this is no longer possible.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...-james-dulaney

****, I missed this.

I caught up with Mark while he was playing Hidden Ridge and walked/chatted with him while he threw the last handful of holes. Then we proceeded to chat for a pretty good long while afterwards about random courses and the early days of disc golf in the Cincy area. I started playing around 98-ish so any stories about the local scene or the courses prior to that are interesting to me. It was like talking with an old friend even though I had never met him prior.

Sad to see he's left this plane of existence. Rest easy Mr. Frosty.

HyooMac 11-17-2022 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InnocentCrook (Post 3852029)
****, I missed this.

I caught up with Mark while he was playing Hidden Ridge and walked/chatted with him while he threw the last handful of holes. Then we proceeded to chat for a pretty good long while afterwards about random courses and the early days of disc golf in the Cincy area. I started playing around 98-ish so any stories about the local scene or the courses prior to that are interesting to me. It was like talking with an old friend even though I had never met him prior.

Sad to see he's left this plane of existence. Rest easy Mr. Frosty.


I'm proud of the 13 up votes my reviews earned from him.

dreadlock86 11-18-2022 06:13 AM

he was definitely one of the people who routinely voted on reviews. i haven't counted but i know i got many from him.


speaking of which, i've noticed that i've been accumulating a lot more votes than usual lately. maybe it's a few very active folks (thanks!) or maybe it's just the critical mass of 285 reviews. i don't have the patience to click on each one looking for a pattern. just an unexpected observation since i've only posted 2 reviews in 2022. that's the lowest number i've ever done in a year but i have 6 weeks left to get at least 2 more to beat the 3 i did in 2015. pretty sure i can get that done.

dreadlock86 11-25-2022 02:46 AM

made it to the 2k club in the last 24 hours. feels good to join elite company

wolfhaley 11-25-2022 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3853365)
made it to the 2k club in the last 24 hours. feels good to join elite company

Well done sir :hfive:

Much deserved as well. I thoroughly enjoy your reviews. Always have. You write the type of review I wish mine were more like. Not too long, all the good info and easily digestable. One of my favorite reviewers. Congrats :thmbup:

Now I need to actually PLAY some of the courses you've reviewed. :p

dreadlock86 11-25-2022 03:10 PM

thanks duder!

it's a tough balance between being thorough and writing a novel. i think the hardest part is giving a meaningful description
and conveying a sense of the feel/vibe of a course, rather than a list of amenities or a hole by hole breakdown.

Surge5 11-26-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3852204)
he was definitely one of the people who routinely voted on reviews. i haven't counted but i know i got many from him.


speaking of which, i've noticed that i've been accumulating a lot more votes than usual lately. maybe it's a few very active folks (thanks!) or maybe it's just the critical mass of 285 reviews. i don't have the patience to click on each one looking for a pattern. just an unexpected observation since i've only posted 2 reviews in 2022. that's the lowest number i've ever done in a year but i have 6 weeks left to get at least 2 more to beat the 3 i did in 2015. pretty sure i can get that done.

I've definitely been averaging higher recently. Maybe the winter keeping people from playing so they found DGCR as a fix? There's been some good new reviewers recently.

Tyler J 12-08-2022 08:14 PM

Congrats to chained evil, the newest member of the cubic zirconia club!

wellsbranch250 12-08-2022 10:31 PM

I had noticed he was getting close, after his last couple of reviews. I thought for sure he was going to go straight to diamond. I still think he's next to hit diamond regardless.

thrembo 12-15-2022 05:24 PM

Encouraging everyone to start/keep reviewing! And reward those that do!

https://i.imgflip.com/74h6bf.jpg

DiscGolfCraig 12-15-2022 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3857538)
Encouraging everyone to start/keep reviewing! And reward those that do!

https://i.imgflip.com/74h6bf.jpg

You got a long way to go

dreadlock86 12-16-2022 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig (Post 3857595)
You got a long way to go


you've been busy

there was a time when i was the only person with 5 digit thumbs up given and nobody else was even close. there are still only 3 people with 5 digits but you've passed me by swiftly in the past year.

wolfhaley 12-16-2022 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3857632)
you've been busy

there was a time when i was the only person with 5 digit thumbs up given and nobody else was even close. there are still only 3 people with 5 digits but you've passed me by swiftly in the past year.

He's not as grinchy as he comes across sometimes. He even gave me a thumb's up recently :eek:

;)


I have no facts, but I'd wager you, Wells and Craig are the top giver's of thumbs up on here as far as Diamond TR's. I didn't look but I'm guessing Wellsbranch is the other 10,000er?

thrembo 12-16-2022 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig (Post 3857595)
You got a long way to go

A long way to go for what? It's not a competition to see who can give the most upvotes. Although I am closing in on 10,000 lol.

thrembo 12-16-2022 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3857635)
He's not as grinchy as he comes across sometimes. He even gave me a thumb's up recently :eek:

;)


I have no facts, but I'd wager you, Wells and Craig are the top giver's of thumbs up on here as far as Diamond TR's. I didn't look but I'm guessing Wellsbranch is the other 10,000er?

Yeah, wellsbranch is closing in on 15,000

BogeyNoMore 12-16-2022 08:39 AM

Guess I feel a bit more like a thumb should be earned, so I'm not quite as generous. I've doled out a little over 6K thumbs. Nearly 25% of them have been :thmbdns:.

Sometimes, I read random reviews on the front page, but almost always hone in on 4.0+ reviews (especially in states I think I might get to), because I want to know what to hit in my travels.

By far the largest contributor to all my unhelpfuls are say nothing reviews for ratings of 4.0+. If you claim a course is excellent (or better), then please say something substantive on the subject.

If you can't say more than it's a great course, or your review wreaks of homerism, your not helping me.

The beauty is, all of us can put our thumbs wherever we want to put them (so to speak). ;)

DiscGolfCraig 12-16-2022 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3857635)
He's not as grinchy as he comes across sometimes. He even gave me a thumb's up recently :eek:

;)


I have no facts, but I'd wager you, Wells and Craig are the top giver's of thumbs up on here as far as Diamond TR's. I didn't look but I'm guessing Wellsbranch is the other 10,000er?

When I'm bored, I hit the random course button and check out reviews for those courses. I've discovered lots of great reviews that had gotten zero or only a handful of votes.

Tyler J 12-16-2022 07:44 PM

Congrats to Moose33, the newest member of the cubic zirconia club!

dreadlock86 12-17-2022 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3857635)
I have no facts, but I'd wager you, Wells and Craig are the top giver's of thumbs up on here as far as Diamond TR's. I didn't look but I'm guessing Wellsbranch is the other 10,000er?


solid wager


dgcraig 31822
me 19491
wb250 14697


craig added at least 15k this year alone

DiscGolfCraig 12-17-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3857841)
solid wager


dgcraig 31822
me 19491
wb250 14697


craig added at least 15k this year alone

Lots of procrastinating while working. And LOTS of time sitting on hold throughout the year.

nothinbuttree 12-17-2022 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dreadlock86 (Post 3857841)
solid wager


dgcraig 31822
me 19491
wb250 14697


craig added at least 15k this year alone

How is that even possible? That is like 400 reviews thumbed every day for a year. Not sure I have read that many ever. That is a LOT of positive encouragement!

dreadlock86 12-17-2022 05:07 PM

every time i get on DGCR i look at all the reviews on the front page and as far back as it lets me go. then when i look at those reviews i also go through at least the first page of reviews for that particular course. that's 4-6 times per week. then there's also the reviews i read when researching a new area or planning a trip or just following a rabbit hole. and then there are the courses i have played and reviewed where i read all the reviews and thumb most of them.

in 12 years that got me to almost 20k. the idea of doing that in a year or so makes my brain hurt a little bit.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.