Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V) (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133486)

gwsmallwood 10-03-2022 02:18 PM

Looking for a driver recommendation. Trying to see if something from MVP can supplant my Wraiths. I'm forehand dominant and I was getting my 171 Star Wraith out to around 385 on a flat release (We'll call it 375 golf distance, 385 - 395 on a max distance rip). It flies fairly straight with just a bit of a reliable finish to it. The MVP drivers I've tried so far all feel really good, probably better than the Wraiths, but are about 50' shorter on average.

I've tried a 174 Fission Wave, a 172 Neutron Zenith, a 152 Elaine King Fission Photon, and a 174 Neutron Trace.
- Light Fizzy Photon is pretty beefy. More so than my Gurthie Halo Wraith (which is seasoned a bit). I'm getting around 325 golf distance out of this one.
- Zenith feels great and I really enjoy throwing it. Maybe a bit more stability than my Wraith, but seeing around 325 average, 360 max distance.
- Fizzy Wave has a bit more turn than I'm looking for. Even the higher weight Fizzy Wave I tried out was still turning on me on a flat to slight-hyzer release. The distance was better, though. I was getting around 350 out of this one.
- Neutron Trace doesn't feel as good on forehand for me. The plastic is still a bit slick, but I expect that to develop a bit more grip as it gets seasoned. I'm just not crazy about the rim shape and the dome profile. I keep releasing it with a bit of anny, even when I don't want to. But even when I release it flat it has a tendency to turn, even more than the Wave. I get similar distance as the Zenith with the Trace, again, coming up short of what I get out of my Wraiths.

Is there something else I should try? I've seen in a few places that some people find the Defy a bit less stable than the Photon. Should I try a lightweight Defy? I would prefer not to go any higher than an 11-speed. Being forehand dominant, I don't find rims above 2.2mm very comfortable.

Or is the answer to just stick with Wraiths?

ray1970 10-03-2022 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwsmallwood (Post 3841457)

Maybe. Probably would have saved you a lot of typing too. Lol.

As a former Wraith thrower myself, I really enjoyed the Trace. My favorite Trace is really flat. I am not a forehand guy but I canít see how a forehand guy wouldnít like the feel for a forehand.

Kind of like Wraiths, the Traces can all fly a bit differently depending on how they mold up and the plastic. Most of mine are cosmic neutron for whatever thatís worth.

Anyhow, beyond not seeing how a Wraith thrower wouldnít like the Trace Iíve got nothing.

zendragon 10-03-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwsmallwood (Post 3841457)
Looking for a driver recommendation. ...

Is there something else I should try? I've seen in a few places that some people find the Defy a bit less stable than the Photon. Should I try a lightweight Defy? I would prefer not to go any higher than an 11-speed. Being forehand dominant, I don't find rims above 2.2mm very comfortable.

Every Defy I've thrown has been more stable than every Photon I've thrown, so I can't say that it's the best choice. You might have gotten a really beefy Photon though. I usually don't find them that stable.

mas30066 10-03-2022 04:46 PM

Not the strongest arm here, but the best forward penetration (since the q is raw/final distance) for me with an MVP 11 speed has been a Plasma Wave at maybe 170? Would agree that the Defy is more about shape than carry.

The Shide 10-03-2022 04:49 PM

Wraith = Trace (usually)

gooberau 10-03-2022 04:56 PM

Weirdly I’ve found the Vanish’s to be most Wraith-like, but you’ve got 50’ on me so you’d probably turn them more than you’d like.

I do have a light Fission Defy that absolutely bombs.

Jacobpaul81 10-03-2022 06:14 PM

Proton Waves are beefier than the numbers. Maybe -1 turn +2 fade.

Jacobpaul81 10-03-2022 06:15 PM

I got some 163 Fission Waves out today for a round. Very nice. Was playing a shorter tighter course so only threw a few times but they have some nice pop-up. I'll see how they handle a big course later this week.

elmexdela 10-03-2022 11:14 PM

traces are not wraiths

ThrowaEnvy 10-03-2022 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3841559)
traces are not wraiths

Correct, the trace is more Surge"ey".

Might make a decent complement.

...upon further thought a light fission octane might fit that bill. Probably the best wraith contender but it's been 10yrs since I threw innova.