Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   DGCR Announcements & News (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First Diamond Trusted Reviewer! (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11390)

HyooMac 04-01-2021 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3703415)
Mndiscg truly took the route less traveled to earn his diamond, playing all sorts of out of the way courses that don't get talked up a lot.

Yeoman's work!

Being relatively new around here, I thought I was getting a sense of the traffic - with some of the better-known or historic courses receiving more attention. But one of my recent reviews blew up. Mine was the first for Mt. Lebanon Camp Meeting, and this tiny little 9's review received almost as many upvotes as my review of Iron Hill. So hey: still plenty of surprises here at DGCR...

thrembo 04-01-2021 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3704931)
Being relatively new around here, I thought I was getting a sense of the traffic - with some of the better-known or historic courses receiving more attention. But one of my recent reviews blew up. Mine was the first for Mt. Lebanon Camp Meeting, and this tiny little 9's review received almost as many upvotes as my review of Iron Hill. So hey: still plenty of surprises here at DGCR...

I have noticed this also. !st reviews of a new course are some of my favorite reviews to do and I typically go into more detail than if I'm reviewing a popular course with a lot of reviews already which I might focus on the highlights and add updated information.

thrembo 04-01-2021 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElementZ (Post 3704928)
I get the feeling that I'll be competing with on on that metric once I finally get to diamond. :)

I thought I might have a chance too till I saw how many reviews mndiscg has.

wellsbranch250 04-01-2021 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3704931)
Mine was the first for Mt. Lebanon Camp

I know I'm not the only one, but i almost always upvote the first review of a course. If it happens to be a TR doing the review, it's almost certainly going to be more helpful to gage that course now over the first 100 reviews on udisc.

exception. a first review of course, by the course designer, doing their first review and dropping a 5.0/4.5 on it. regardless of length and content, the review is a complete throw-away. i simply dont buy anything that the review is describing. If i ever start downvoting again, these will be my first targets. they are more than unhelpful, they con jobs imo.

BogeyNoMore 04-01-2021 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3704931)
Being relatively new around here, I thought I was getting a sense of the traffic - with some of the better-known or historic courses receiving more attention. But one of my recent reviews blew up. Mine was the first for Mt. Lebanon Camp Meeting, and this tiny little 9's review received almost as many upvotes as my review of Iron Hill. So hey: still plenty of surprises here at DGCR...

Yep. I have the only review high school niner, and it got more votes than you'd expect for a little out if the way course.

chevis 04-01-2021 03:30 PM

shameless plug to get myself more votes: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=37315
my older reviews only have a few votes, in particular Big Cross DGC only has 1 & i was the first to review it

ElementZ 04-01-2021 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chevis (Post 3705120)
shameless plug to get myself more votes: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=37315
my older reviews only have a few votes, in particular Big Cross DGC only has 1 & i was the first to review it

Make that 2!

wellsbranch250 04-06-2021 10:37 AM

It appears that HyooMac will be joining the 1000 :thmbup: club today. Congrats Sir.

Tyler J 04-06-2021 11:21 AM

Congrats, HyooMac! Now instead of working, I'm waiting for his thumb count to update to see if he hits diamond as well.

BogeyNoMore 04-06-2021 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3706044)
It appears that HyooMac will be joining the 1000 :thmbup: club today. Congrats Sir.

Should be referred to as Cubic Zirconia...looks like a diamond at first glance, but not quite. :p

HyooMac 04-06-2021 11:37 AM

Thank you! Special shout out to Olorin, Monocacy, brentjacobs, Tyler J and wellsbranch. One of you put me across the 1000 mark.

I doubt I'll be seeing diamond for a while. Getting all those unique voters takes time.

wellsbranch250 04-06-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3706057)
Should be referred to as Cubic Zirconia...looks like a diamond at first glance, but not quite. :p

i agree. i had actually started writing something along those lines for my post to quote you, but i quickly gave up cause i knew i'd murder the spelling of it.

Olorin 04-06-2021 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3706059)
Thank you! Special shout out to Olorin, Monocacy, brentjacobs, Tyler J and wellsbranch. One of you put me across the 1000 mark.

That's some good company, right there.

One of my favorite things to do on DGCR is giving people Yes vote #1000!

wolfhaley 04-07-2021 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3706059)
Thank you! Special shout out to Olorin, Monocacy, brentjacobs, Tyler J and wellsbranch. One of you put me across the 1000 mark.

I doubt I'll be seeing diamond for a while. Getting all those unique voters takes time.

Diamond takes awhile to get to, but you're well on your way. At your pace it can't be too far off. 160 reviews in less than 3 years is impressive. Hell, you've reviewed Bryant Lake already and I haven't even played it :D

P.S. That yellow Sapphire is making the bag. :thmbup:

Three Putt 04-08-2021 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kp_1024 (Post 3702809)
I decided the be the guinea pig on this course: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/revie...11512&mode=rev. It was terrible, but because of my review, no one has to have the same experience.

Lol.

There has been a course listed on here in a town about 1/2 hour away for several years. One of our league guys lived there when it popped up on this site so I asked him about it. He said he had no idea what I was talking about, there was no course there. He said there were some baskets by a school, but no course. I didn't worry too much about it. A few months ago a school course popped up on this site in the same town. It's a 1/2 hour or so loop off the Interstate to get to this place and it was starting to look like you could take a break from the highway and bag two courses. I decided to make the trip down to see what was what. Turns out there are baskets in a park and baskets next to a rural school there; neither could actually be called a course because despite there being at least 16 baskets in that town the number of tees and tee signs are both zero. I wrote up the reviews to warn people off; I won't link them since I already got an embarrassing slew of thumbs up on them. I'm like the anti-mndiscg; I went to the crappiest seven-hole course in the middle of absolute nowhere and got 16 thumbs up. Weird.

Jukeshoe 04-08-2021 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Putt (Post 3706971)
Lol.

There has been a course listed on here in a town about 1/2 hour away for several years. One of our league guys lived there when it popped up on this site so I asked him about it. He said he had no idea what I was talking about, there was no course there. He said there were some baskets by a school, but no course. I didn't worry too much about it. A few months ago a school course popped up on this site in the same town. It's a 1/2 hour or so loop off the Interstate to get to this place and it was starting to look like you could take a break from the highway and bag two courses. I decided to make the trip down to see what was what. Turns out there are baskets in a park and baskets next to a rural school there; neither could actually be called a course because despite there being at least 16 baskets in that town the number of tees and tee signs are both zero. I wrote up the reviews to warn people off; I won't link them since I already got an embarrassing slew of thumbs up on them. I'm like the anti-mndiscg; I went to the crappiest seven-hole course in the middle of absolute nowhere and got 16 thumbs up. Weird.

So, uh, is there another crappy Chicago niner tour with notapro and I in the offing anytime soon? We could perhaps make double diamond the lot of us! :o :D

wolfhaley 04-10-2021 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukeshoe (Post 3706991)
So, uh, is there another crappy Chicago niner tour with notapro and I in the offing anytime soon? We could perhaps make double diamond the lot of us! :o :D

You gotta love those crappy Chicago niner trips. I may have to do one in late October or early November. There's nothing better than driving 35 minutes from a crap nine to another crappier one 2 miles away. :D

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2021 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukeshoe (Post 3706991)
So, uh, is there another crappy Chicago niner tour with notapro and I in the offing anytime soon? We could perhaps make double diamond the lot of us! :o :D

So that would mean double the pay, right?

Jukeshoe 04-10-2021 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3707363)
You gotta love those crappy Chicago niner trips. I may have to do one in late October or early November. There's nothing better than driving 35 minutes from a crap nine to another crappier one 2 miles away. :D

Gotta plan better than that! Usually we keep the drives between to maybe 15-20 tops. :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3707365)
So that would mean double the pay, right?

Yes! Nothing time two is double nothing!

Jukeshoe: <---Glad not to get bumped into a higher tax bracket. :|

Three Putt 04-10-2021 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3707363)
You gotta love those crappy Chicago niner trips. I may have to do one in late October or early November. There's nothing better than driving 35 minutes from a crap nine to another crappier one 2 miles away. :D

Pro tip-go during a holiday when a lot of people have the day off. It cuts down on the overall traffic a lot.

That particular trip sounded like a lame course-grab in the idea stages but it practice it was a hoot. Five out of the eight courses had something unique or weird or stupid enough that it was memorable. By the end of the day (and it was Thanksgiving weekend so the day ended at 5) we had thrown 72 holes of golf, experimented with exactly how much of a gap there is between tow ropes, pondered the influence of Georgia O'Keeffe on modern play system design, and argued the stance ruling of what to do if your disc slid under the abandoned railroad car sitting in the middle of the woods for seemingly no reason. Jukeshoe was also either writing song lyrics or composing poetry, so it was a full day. Chicago niners generally are a blur, but I remember most of those eight courses pretty clearly.

Jukeshoe 04-10-2021 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Putt (Post 3707397)
... pondered the influence of Georgia O'Keeffe on modern play system design. Chicago niners generally are a blur, but I remember most of those eight courses pretty clearly.

LULZ!

Recently saw a similar looking vulva slide and pointed out to my wife. She, uh, wasn't quite as amused.

That was a good day, and I remember more of it that I probably should. :| :|


Castaldo to ABBA's Fernando was where I peaked musically, for sure. :D :D

thrembo 04-10-2021 11:46 AM

A lot of those nine holers are on my wish list...

Edit: :|

thrembo 04-10-2021 11:54 AM

https://i.imgflip.com/55414k.jpg

Tyler J 04-10-2021 12:31 PM

Next time I get some good time in Chicago, my plan is to finally play The Canyons as well as see how my beloved former home course, the exceptionally bland Volunteer Park, is doing. Best of both worlds.

Three Putt 04-10-2021 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukeshoe (Post 3707411)
That was a good day, and I remember more of it that I probably should. :| :|

I remember a lot more of it than I should. I remember more about Four Lakes than I do about Lemon Lake. :eek:

Three Putt 04-10-2021 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J (Post 3707424)
Next time I get some good time in Chicago, my plan is to finally play The Canyons as well as see how my beloved former home course, the exceptionally bland Volunteer Park, is doing. Best of both worlds.

Romeoville is where that day ended; we got there at twilight thinking we wouldn't have enough light to play, but then it was so short we could have played it twice if we wanted to.

wellsbranch250 04-10-2021 03:11 PM

Congrats to KenanFlagler on hitting the 1000 thumb-up milestone.
166 reviews over a 6 year period, so hopefully unique 250 isn't too far behind.

Kenan's pofile
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=58190

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2021 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3707363)
There's nothing better than driving 35 minutes from a crap nine to another crappier one 2 miles away. :D

I've avoided such excursions, at least, to this point. The only Chicago Niner I bagged is Watts Park, and that was simply out of convenience when I was visiting the area for a family trip.

Jukeshoe 04-10-2021 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3707415)

lol, to be fair to us, IIRC Canyons either didn't exist at that point or was in early stages of development.

Jukeshoe 04-10-2021 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Putt (Post 3707435)
I remember a lot more of it than I should. I remember more about Four Lakes than I do about Lemon Lake. :eek:

#2 LULZERS....

Three Putt 04-10-2021 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jukeshoe (Post 3707479)
lol, to be fair to us, IIRC Canyons either didn't exist at that point or was in early stages of development.

Oh, that was waaayyy before the Canyons went in.

Highlands was still pretty much the destination course for me back then; if I wasn't course bagging I'd play Highlands/Trinity Links/West Park. Highlands was actually the course I was going to play on my last trip there, but then we had COVID and I never made a last trip there.

Lombard Commons ended up being the last course I played up there, which...for Chicago disc golf was probably fitting. :\

BogeyNoMore 04-10-2021 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Putt (Post 3707523)
...if I wasn't course bagging I'd play Highlands/Trinity Links/West Park.

Lol... those were the exact courses I played on day #1 of my first DG roadie.

I hit West Park (RIP'd), then Highland. Basically tripped into to Juke, Notapro, Mashnut, et al in Highland's parking lot, and they invited me to join them at Trinity. Played all 4 at Lemon Lake the next day.

I'd played a few courses in FL and OH before that, but only because I was already there for some other reason. Never really spent a night away from home specifically for DG prior to that. :)

wolfhaley 04-11-2021 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3707471)
I've avoided such excursions, at least, to this point. The only Chicago Niner I bagged is Watts Park, and that was simply out of convenience when I was visiting the area for a family trip.

I've played quite a few Chicago courses but haven't even scratched the surface yet. I kid about them all being crappy. There's some decent to pretty solid ones. But yeah, there are some awful ones. You can pad your courses played total like nowhere else there. Plus you can see pretty much any band you want. That's how most of my course bagging trips are planned actually. :clap:

thrembo 04-26-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by minced garlic (Post 3712760)
Minced Garlic to Clove conversion is not a tactful dilemma. One medium-sized garlic clove when minced finely – up to the size of 1.5 to 2.0 mm for each part – equals about one teaspoon and 1/3 of a tablespoon. So, 3 minc

Minced garlic is the DGCR trusted reviewer's secret sauce.

DiscGolfCraig 04-26-2021 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3712763)
Minced garlic is the DGCR trusted reviewer's secret sauce.

Which banned member was this?

thrembo 04-26-2021 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig (Post 3712764)
Which banned member was this?

Not sure if banned member alt account, spam post, or what?

Tyler J 05-14-2021 11:28 AM

They haven't hit Diamond or 1,000 thumbs (yet), but I noticed that today marks 1 year since Shadrach3's first review on the site.

In 1 year they have accumulated:
108 reviews
968 thumbs ups and counting
Just 3 negative thumbs to keep them honest

What a run. Congrats, Shad.

Check out their profile if you haven't yet:
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=92322

Shadrach3 05-14-2021 03:19 PM

Thanks, Tyler. I am shocked that someone noticed!

I'll add one more stat about the last 365 days, my favorite:
133 new courses played

dreadlock86 05-14-2021 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadrach3 (Post 3719806)
133 new courses played


that's good use of a pandemic right there :clap:

wellsbranch250 05-21-2021 11:24 AM

Kind of surprising that Valk hasn’t reviewed one course in 2021 yet. I have a feeling he’s planning an epic 100 course road trip over the summer.


Update on Diamond miners needing unique votes
Mr Frosty - 341 reviews – 1831 thumbs-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=79171

Pizza God – 374 reviews – 1425 thumbs-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=8530

HyooMac – 167 reviews – 1122 thumbs-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=8530

Blake883 – 119 reviews – 1071 thumbs-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=30468

Thrembo – 159 reviews – 1043 thumb-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=5625

KenanFlagler01 – 169 reviews – 1040 thumbs-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=58190

Shadrach3 – 110 reviews – 1003 thumb-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=92322



Getting close to 1000
ElementZ – 187 reviews – 974 thumb-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=5792

BigA1724 – 141 reviews – 962 thumb-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=35845

Cerealman – 110 reviews – 943 thumb-ups
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/profile.php?id=2905


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.