Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   DGCR Announcements & News (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   First Diamond Trusted Reviewer! (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11390)

Tyler J 07-13-2022 02:19 PM

I want to make a cubic zirconia group when I hit 1,000 for the real cool kids. With Shadrach3 as our captain.

Olorin 07-13-2022 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3822571)
Suddenly, I don't feel so elite. :\

Haha. Its mainly that JR Stengele isnt on DGCR very much anymore, so that new DTRs have not been added in years. And that goes in tandem with the decline in use of DGCR in general, along with the corresponding decline in the use of social groups here

sisyphus 07-13-2022 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olorin (Post 3822542)
Hey [URL="https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/member.php?u=30849"]...Is the list of Diamond TRs in the google doc up to date?

Yes sir, it's the only part that I really try to stay fairly current on. I have been manually updating the full list around new years, but was visiting grandkiddos this year, so needs to be done again. Love to see if somebody more tech savvy had a a way of doing it automatically instead of taking a manual (full) day of data transcription to do...

wellsbranch250 07-18-2022 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J (Post 3822572)
I want to make a cubic zirconia group when I hit 1,000 for the real cool kids. With Shadrach3 as our captain.

the cubic zirconia club looks poised to add 2 more to its ranks. It appears you are only one or two reviews away, and DiscinOhio is only 9 votes away as well. i think that would make 14 members?

HyooMac, aclay, Shadrach3, Blake883, KenanFlagler01, knobby325, pmay5, Ryal, Cerealman, DFah, lee76007, Surge5

Tyler J 07-18-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823489)
the cubic zirconia club looks poised to add 2 more to its ranks. It appears you are only one or two reviews away, and DiscinOhio is only 9 votes away as well. i think that would make 14 members?

HyooMac, aclay, Shadrach3, Blake883, KenanFlagler01, knobby325, pmay5, Ryal, Cerealman, DFah, lee76007, Surge5

Yup, DisninOhio and I will make 14. That's a great line up of reviewers to be in company with.

Countchunkula 07-18-2022 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823489)
the cubic zirconia club looks poised to add 2 more to its ranks. It appears you are only one or two reviews away, and DiscinOhio is only 9 votes away as well. i think that would make 14 members?

HyooMac, aclay, Shadrach3, Blake883, KenanFlagler01, knobby325, pmay5, Ryal, Cerealman, DFah, lee76007, Surge5

I wonder if this list makes a strong enough argument to convince Tim to play with the TR thresholds again. If so, what tweak would be best?

IMO, either decrease the number of uniques required for diamond (recognizing current user base doesn't provide enough unique voters for the current threshold to make sense) or increase the number of thumbs up required for diamond (keep it an exclusive club; we'd be close to 40 diamonds if all the cubic club get in).

I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to encourage good reviewers to keep on churning out quality reviews. Having so many people stuck in pre-diamond limbo doesn't seem to be helping achieve that goal.

wellsbranch250 07-18-2022 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3823503)
I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to encourage good reviewers to keep on churning out quality reviews. Having so many people stuck in pre-diamond limbo doesn't seem to be helping achieve that goal.

i would also like to encourage good reviewers to continue to churn out reviews. I think what timg initially set-up worked to achieve that in many ways. Perhaps there is something he could tweak, although i'm not sure he'd even consider tweaks at the moment.

I personally think it should take more reviews to make each TR level other than bronze level. There are probably 3 to 4 times as many courses now than when the site first launched. Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.

Ill also point out that more than 30 of the 50 diamonds haven't reviewed a course yet in 2022. Several of which are going on 5 plus years now without a review and pretty much stopped once diamond level was achieved.

Countchunkula 07-18-2022 05:33 PM

^Sounds like (for many) that diamond status is a motivation until it's achieved. Shame that some of our best reviewers have stopped reviewing once they got that milestone. I can't judge as I haven't written more than a handful of reviews in the last 5 years or so, but the site would benefit if these folks were still writing reviews.

Maybe we need uranium* status to entice those inactive diamond reviewers off the sidelines?


*Call it whatever you want. This is a reference to a rap interlude with the line: "I threw away all of my platinum cards and got me a uranium card." That one and a few other lines from the same track are forever burnt into my brain.

wellsbranch250 07-18-2022 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3823532)
Maybe we need uranium* status to entice those inactive diamond reviewers off the sidelines?

i would certainly have a good laugh if i saw that. perhaps the medal icon could tarnish over time?

In all seriousness however, I appreciate their contributions.

Countchunkula 07-18-2022 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823533)
i would certainly have a good laugh if i saw that. perhaps the medal icon could tarnish over time?

In all seriousness however, I appreciate their contributions.

Considering the half life, that tarnish would take a while to accumulate. Trying to imagine Tim's reaction if we were to suggest implementing that.;)

Tyler J 07-18-2022 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823523)
Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.

Shhhhhhh don't give away my secret dude.

dreadlock86 07-19-2022 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3823503)
I wonder if this list makes a strong enough argument to convince Tim to play with the TR thresholds again. If so, what tweak would be best?

IMO, either decrease the number of uniques required for diamond (recognizing current user base doesn't provide enough unique voters for the current threshold to make sense) or increase the number of thumbs up required for diamond (keep it an exclusive club; we'd be close to 40 diamonds if all the cubic club get in).

i don't think it makes a strong argument at all. in fact, i think it underscores the importance of the unique vote threshold. if anything, i'd say increase the minimum review numbers.

also, we're already at 50 diamonds


Quote:

I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to encourage good reviewers to keep on churning out quality reviews. Having so many people stuck in pre-diamond limbo doesn't seem to be helping achieve that goal.
seems the exact opposite to me. especially in light of Mark's observation below


Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823523)
Ill also point out that more than 30 of the 50 diamonds haven't reviewed a course yet in 2022. Several of which are going on 5 plus years now without a review and pretty much stopped once diamond level was achieved.

i'm guilty of the first stat. looking forward to taking my recently DG addicted friend on his first bagging trip soon.


Quote:

I personally think it should take more reviews to make each TR level other than bronze level. There are probably 3 to 4 times as many courses now than when the site first launched. Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.
agreed


Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J (Post 3823540)
Shhhhhhh don't give away my secret dude.

dude, everyone in this thread has been pulling this move for years!

Tyler J 07-19-2022 09:49 AM

DiscinOhio has officially disc-ed their way into the 1,000 club. Congrats!

DiscinOhio 07-19-2022 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J (Post 3823621)
DiscinOhio has officially disc-ed their way into the 1,000 club. Congrats!

Thanks guys! Here’s to 1,000 more!

nothinbuttree 07-19-2022 03:00 PM

IF a change were considered to DR status, maybe someone could look at the historical averages of two things WHEN DR status was actually obtained for existing diamond reviewers:
1) thumbs up - thumbs down
2) # of courses reviewed

In other words, WHEN each current member reached DR level, what were their stats for those two metrics? That would seem like a good proxy or place to start if lowering uniques.

And if uniques were being lowered to compensate for current site membership logistics, then maybe the two adjusted threshholds above could be made a little higher than those historical averages to offset the lower uniques...

While we are at it, why not make uniques easier to know/track? If someone is working extra hard just to get to DR level (which seems likely given the above observations), shouldn't they have some idea where they are in the process? Goals need to be achievable, but progress should also be obtainable.

wellsbranch250 07-19-2022 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothinbuttree (Post 3823708)
IF a change were considered to DR status, maybe someone could look at the historical averages of two things WHEN DR status was actually obtained for existing diamond reviewers:
1) thumbs up - thumbs down
2) # of courses reviewed

In other words, WHEN each current member reached DR level, what were their stats for those two metrics? That would seem like a good proxy or place to start if lowering uniques.

And if uniques were being lowered to compensate for current site membership logistics, then maybe the two adjusted threshholds above could be made a little higher than those historical averages to offset the lower uniques...

While we are at it, why not make uniques easier to know/track? If someone is working extra hard just to get to DR level (which seems likely given the above observations), shouldn't they have some idea where they are in the process? Goals need to be achievable, but progress should also be obtainable.

I don't think there are kept stats on when someone reached Diamond level. There is some data on this, through-out this thread no less, but it's sporadic and it's often data prior to someone hitting diamond level.

Have you ever seen the excel spreadsheet link on TR data maintained by Jeff?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=826186394

On your final point, timg is the only one whom has the power to reveal unique totals. I think it has been brought up before. DGCR members can always propose a website content suggestions in the "Site Suggestions" section of the forum.

BogeyNoMore 07-19-2022 06:32 PM

Less of this: Poring over TR stats, and the gymnastics about why someone is or isn't this level or that level.


Moar of this: road tripping and reviewing.
:D

srm_520 07-19-2022 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823523)
i would also like to encourage good reviewers to continue to churn out reviews. I think what timg initially set-up worked to achieve that in many ways. Perhaps there is something he could tweak, although i'm not sure he'd even consider tweaks at the moment.

I personally think it should take more reviews to make each TR level other than bronze level. There are probably 3 to 4 times as many courses now than when the site first launched. Someone reviewing 50 courses in 2008 had to branch out, whereas today someone could achieve that in one big metro.

Ill also point out that more than 30 of the 50 diamonds haven't reviewed a course yet in 2022. Several of which are going on 5 plus years now without a review and pretty much stopped once diamond level was achieved.

Yeah, that was pretty much me. Heck, this is probably my first forum post in over 5 years! To be fair, I hit Diamond and tore tendons in my shoulder about the same time. Sadly, I hardly play any more and never pain free. I do miss being able to throw it over 250'. :D

wellsbranch250 07-19-2022 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3823746)
Moar of this: road tripping and reviewing.
:D

heck yeah.

Quote:

Originally Posted by srm_520 (Post 3823747)
Yeah, that was pretty much me. Heck, this is probably my first forum post in over 5 years! To be fair, I hit Diamond and tore tendons in my shoulder about the same time. Sadly, I hardly play any more and never pain free. I do miss being able to throw it over 250'. :D

Great to see a review from the upper northwest today. Thank you for taking the time to post the review. I could definitely could see myself visiting the Vancouver area someday.

HyooMac 07-19-2022 07:20 PM

There are times when I feel like I'm chasing Diamond.

But most of the time, I just like writing reviews. I'm still honing my craft, and I'm still doing field work. I'm trying to eliminate unecessary infornation in my writing, and inefficient moves in my throwing.

I'm at 253 (reviews and feet).

thrembo 07-19-2022 08:16 PM

I thought about taking a little break once I reached Diamond, but nah. Once you got the fever, there is no cure!

wolfhaley 07-19-2022 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3823754)
There are times when I feel like I'm chasing Diamond.

But most of the time, I just like writing reviews. I'm still honing my craft, and I'm still doing field work. I'm trying to eliminate unecessary infornation in my writing, and inefficient moves in my throwing.

I'm at 253 (reviews and feet).

My review count keeps steadily climbing.

My distance keeps steadily dropping.

Pizza God 07-19-2022 09:16 PM

Sorry, I have not been keeping up with my reviews. I admit I had motivation before I got Diamond. I was trying to post a review of a course every day.

I have only posted a couple of reviews this year and 2 of those were practice courses that you can't thumbs up or down.

I was motivated to post pictures and did become the 3rd person to reach Diamond for photo uploader. But I am even behind on getting that done at the moment, I have 6 courses I still need to upload although I have a better system now than I use too. I still need to go back into my memory card and verify I uploaded every course.

BogeyNoMore 07-19-2022 09:16 PM

What is this "distance" thing you speak of? :confused:


*wonders if Pizza God delivers to Walled Lake*

DFrah 07-19-2022 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HyooMac (Post 3823754)
There are times when I feel like I'm chasing Diamond.

But most of the time, I just like writing reviews. I'm still honing my craft, and I'm still doing field work. I'm trying to eliminate unecessary infornation in my writing, and inefficient moves in my throwing.

I'm at 253 (reviews and feet).

Literally the same for me (well, except my number is 115 ;) ).

It would be nice to hit Diamond one day. But it's not something I am focused on, and it's not why I play courses and write reviews. I'm happy to have a seat in Tyler's cubic zirconia club.

wolfhaley 07-20-2022 01:24 AM

I don't keep stats. I write reviews off the top of my head. That's how I always did it. Many of you folks give me thumbs up for unfinished reviews. 20 minute time limit and all ;)

I just don't think we need to change the system because we have a bunch of "deserving" diamonds. I was a "deserving" diamond for a long time too. It'll happen when it happens. When it does it feels pretty **** good though :D

Honestly though, I think I write more reviews now than I did while chasing the ever elusive Diamond. I also add courses, upload photos and course info. DFrah, Tyler J, Knobby etc. are my peers. I respect the work they do. I probably wouldn't be adding as much to the site without the "sub" Diamonds. This thread would be dead without them to tbh :p

nothinbuttree 07-20-2022 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfhaley (Post 3823765)
My review count keeps steadily climbing.

My distance keeps steadily dropping.

One can only hope those are not somehow related. :)

nothinbuttree 07-20-2022 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823726)
Have you ever seen the excel spreadsheet link on TR data maintained by Jeff?
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...#gid=826186394

I have actually--I am curious why I am not in that spreadsheet now though. My silver badge is still showing up... :confused:

wolfhaley 07-20-2022 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothinbuttree (Post 3823811)
One can only hope those are not somehow related. :)

Bag 20+ Chicago niners. Review them.

Bag 10+ North WI/UP courses. Review them

Same temp in both places, two weeks apart. :p

wellsbranch250 07-20-2022 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nothinbuttree (Post 3823812)
I have actually--I am curious why I am not in that spreadsheet now though. My silver badge is still showing up... :confused:

I just checked as well.... It does not appear to have had a wholesale update in awhile. Jeff (sisyphus), is actually looking to pass the baton and have someone new take over. It takes quite some time to update, as its done manually, and he has been doing it for several years now.

Tyler J 07-20-2022 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3823834)
I just checked as well.... It does not appear to have had a wholesale update in awhile. Jeff (sisyphus), is actually looking to pass the baton and have someone new take over. It takes quite some time to update, as its done manually, and he has been doing it for several years now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sisyphus (Post 3822708)
Yes sir, it's the only part that I really try to stay fairly current on. I have been manually updating the full list around new years, but was visiting grandkiddos this year, so needs to be done again. Love to see if somebody more tech savvy had a a way of doing it automatically instead of taking a manual (full) day of data transcription to do...

Jeff, I'd be happy to help keep the spreadsheet updated or take it over. I can also look into if there's a more convenient way to update it. I've been doing similar stuff on my own with stats on here anyways.

wellsbranch250 07-20-2022 01:06 PM

Congrats Tyler on hitting 1000. 75 reviews has got to be among the fewest reviews to ever reach that threshold.

Tyler J 07-20-2022 04:56 PM

Thanks! Shoutout to Jukeshoe for giving the 1,000th vote. Here's to the next 1,000, though I'm finally almost out of courses in St. Louis. Might need to try making road trips happen more.

wellsbranch250 07-23-2022 12:29 AM

I had been wondering for quite some time, why MrFrosty (Mark Dulaney) hadn't been posting reviews or even logging into DGCR. I just figured maybe he had taken some time off or perhaps he had a disc golf injury. I had written a couple times over the past few months to check up and see how he was doing to no avail. I'm not sure if this had been posted somewhere else or not, but i sadly just found out that Mark passed away in January. he was 64. We had talked several times about meeting up and throwing a round together, and i am saddened to know that this is no longer possible.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...-james-dulaney

blake833 07-23-2022 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyler J (Post 3823838)
Jeff, I'd be happy to help keep the spreadsheet updated or take it over. I can also look into if there's a more convenient way to update it. I've been doing similar stuff on my own with stats on here anyways.

maybe we've reached an age where a shared google doc and several people maintaining it is feasible?

blake833 07-23-2022 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellsbranch250 (Post 3824670)
I had been wondering for quite some time, why MrFrosty (Mark Dulaney) hadn't been posting reviews or even logging into DGCR. I just figured maybe he had taken some time off or perhaps he had a disc golf injury. I had written a couple times over the past few months to check up and see how he was doing to no avail. I'm not sure if this had been posted somewhere else or not, but i sadly just found out that Mark passed away in January. he was 64. We had talked several times about meeting up and throwing a round together, and i am saddened to know that this is no longer possible.

https://www.tributearchive.com/obitu...-james-dulaney

I'm heartbroken. Thank you for being an incredible presence and following up with community members, and let's throw one, pour one out, or celebrate and honor Mark "MrFrosty" Dulaney however we are able.

wolfhaley 07-23-2022 06:14 AM

Sad news to say the least. I'll echo what Blake said, thanks for keeping us in line wells, I was wondering the same thing myself. He was so prolific the last couple years. We lost a great one.

thrembo 07-23-2022 03:44 PM

Yeah, wow very sad. RIP

BogeyNoMore 07-23-2022 03:59 PM

Sad to hear of Mr. Frosty's passing.

None of us are getting any younger, and tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

Pizza God 07-23-2022 10:21 PM

I have told my wife that they will probably find me dead on a course, if it happens, remember that I died doing what I loved so don't be sad.

As it is, I will continue playing new courses for as long as I can.

I have also told my wife that I would like to be cremated and have my ashes spread on new courses and added to my course count :D


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:25 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.