Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V) (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133486)

ThrowaEnvy 04-24-2019 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphilso1 (Post 3444833)
That was my thought originally with beating in an Electron Envy. For a variety of reasons though, I think the Proxy will work out better than the Electron Envy for me. And I imagine I will find plenty of uses for the Proxy off the tee, so it will be a disc I have confidence in eventually.

It will beat in... the suggestion for a lighter weight one is solid too.... I went to the extreme Envy / Spin combo for me and a Tangent in between. I love what an electron Spin will do, I like the Proton as well.

As far as simulating wear goes if I want to tune a disc a little quicker I use a long fine file (like a 14" Mill (cut) file.. Something that straddles both sides of the disc at once and put a mark or tape and give it three brushes (always forwards files only cut one way) all the way around to deal with bottom flashing. That will affect the LSS mostly but also a little on the HSS. It's the most natural (haha) way to simulate the wear.

If you are straight up crazy and really want to mess with a disc like a Proxy again with the file gently buff the middle of the nose where there's flashing and check the flight. If you wanna go sanitarium crazy file on the underside of the nose where the angle changes that will change the HSS the most but as it seasons you will see the results of what you've done get more pronounced.

ThrowaEnvy 04-24-2019 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Albatross (Post 3445001)
Though the Entropy is not an exact Zone clone, their differences are virtually indistinguishable in the hand. Iíve heard people say that the Entropy is more Harp-like, but mine flies exactly like my FR McBeth Zones. They are both slightly puddle-topped, OS, and have little glide.

And this is such good news I want to nice it twice!!!!! :) :) :)

Mike C 04-24-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Albatross (Post 3445001)
Though the Entropy is not an exact Zone clone, their differences are virtually indistinguishable in the hand. Iíve heard people say that the Entropy is more Harp-like, but mine flies exactly like my FR McBeth Zones. They are both slightly puddle-topped, OS, and have little glide.

Thanks for the picture. Excited to try the Entropy, but might wait for a soft version. Had no idea McBeth switched to Discraft.

jakebake91 04-24-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike C (Post 3445057)
Had no idea McBeth switched to Discraft.

Is this sarcasm? Or have you been imprisoned in a dark cell with no outside contact for the past year?

Kidding, in good fun, of course.

wolfmandragon 04-24-2019 09:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got my Entropy tonight. It is not a Zone clone nor is a Harp clone. It is a Zone/Harp hybrid.

It feels taller in the hand than a Zone and the bevel is not as steep. It feels better in a backhand grip than a Zone, but not as good in a forehand grip.

It was after dark when I got home, so I only got to toss it in my front yard, but it is much more dumpy than my Zone. I am curious how it will fly at speed.

I had planned on dying it, but unlike the stock photos, the stamp is metallic and looks very nice against the white background.

Not for sure if it will make the bag, but I will give it a try.

Sure looks sweet.

elmexdela 04-24-2019 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfmandragon (Post 3445134)
Got my Entropy tonight. It is not a Zone clone nor is a Harp clone. It is a Zone/Harp hybrid.

It feels taller in the hand than a Zone and the bevel is not as steep. It feels better in a backhand grip than a Zone, but not as good in a forehand grip.

It was after dark when I got home, so I only got to toss it in my front yard, but it is much more dumpy than my Zone. I am curious how it will fly at speed.

I had planned on dying it, but unlike the stock photos, the stamp is metallic and looks very nice against the white background.

Not for sure if it will make the bag, but I will give it a try.

Sure looks sweet.

square fingered or round fingered

wolfmandragon 04-24-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elmexdela (Post 3445136)
square fingered or round fingered

Square...but tall like an Ion.

aphilso1 04-24-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funguy (Post 3444967)
Any thoughts to a slightly lower weight Proxy? I find that the mid to high 160s have a -1 HSS and also then to hold the long panning anny shots that you sometimes need in the woods. Great disc for long range jump putts as well. You might be surprised that even at that weight that the gyro makes them a bit more stable than other 160s discs. I couldn't live without my beat max weight Soft Electron Envy for straight shots off the tee and a versatile approach disc. The lighter Proxy is a bit easier to hyper flip off the tee when I need a quick standup and as an all around approach disc especially good for anny shots, glidey long range putts, controlled short penetrating hyzer upshots. Great 1-2 combo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutalbrutus (Post 3445008)
You could try scuffing up a proxy to wipe the new disc smell off it. Flip it upside down on a teepad and don't be shy. Should give you at least a quarter more turn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy (Post 3445046)
It will beat in... the suggestion for a lighter weight one is solid too.... I went to the extreme Envy / Spin combo for me and a Tangent in between. I love what an electron Spin will do, I like the Proton as well.

As far as simulating wear goes if I want to tune a disc a little quicker I use a long fine file (like a 14" Mill (cut) file.. Something that straddles both sides of the disc at once and put a mark or tape and give it three brushes (always forwards files only cut one way) all the way around to deal with bottom flashing. That will affect the LSS mostly but also a little on the HSS. It's the most natural (haha) way to simulate the wear.

If you are straight up crazy and really want to mess with a disc like a Proxy again with the file gently buff the middle of the nose where there's flashing and check the flight. If you wanna go sanitarium crazy file on the underside of the nose where the angle changes that will change the HSS the most but as it seasons you will see the results of what you've done get more pronounced.

Wow, lots of suggestions! Thanks guys. I probably won't try a lower weight Proxy. I personally like my putters 170+. Never thought of flipping a disc upside down and working some teepad love on it. Wouldn't that fugly the stamp? I did throw over a concrete basketball court at the park, with little-to-no care if it didn't quite clear the concrete. I have been known to work the flashing off of non-gyro discs, but haven't had the need to do that on MVP/Axiom. I'd be too nervous to take a file to the nose...I think I'll just skip it off a parking lot a few times if it needs to beat in a bit.

brutalbrutus 04-24-2019 10:08 PM

Yea, it will definitely fugly up the stamp... but its not like all the trees wont eventually do the same thing.;)


...plus, if its a little slick, that will help it get to the tacky stage quicker also.

elmexdela 04-24-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aphilso1 (Post 3445138)
Wow, lots of suggestions! Thanks guys. I probably won't try a lower weight Proxy. I personally like my putters 170+. Never thought of flipping a disc upside down and working some teepad love on it. Wouldn't that fugly the stamp? I did throw over a concrete basketball court at the park, with little-to-no care if it didn't quite clear the concrete. I have been known to work the flashing off of non-gyro discs, but haven't had the need to do that on MVP/Axiom. I'd be too nervous to take a file to the nose...I think I'll just skip it off a parking lot a few times if it needs to beat in a bit.

be careful hitting asphalt or rough concrete is mvps kryptonite


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:57 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.