Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Best utility disc? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120820)

Twmccoy 02-26-2016 11:30 AM

Best utility disc?

What do you guys think is the best utility disc out there? By utility I mean a disc that doesn't always have a clearly defined purpose, but you find yourself reaching for when you need a very specific shot (often out of trouble).

For me its the Flick. Even all these years in there isn't another disc like it. It's very thin, lightning fast, and glides like a dinner plate. Great disc for shortish drives that you need some very predictable fade on. Also, the flick laughs at headwinds and doesn't seem to be affected.

The lack of glide and stability make the Flick very predictable. A little practice and one can get very good aiming it.

I generally use the Flick for troublesome drives up to 350' where accuracy is a must or the wind is stiff. It also takes some work from midrange discs. I'll often pull it out on routine short drives and just aim it like a lawn dart, often more accurately than the Buzz or Wasp I'd otherwise throw in those situations.

SonicGuy 02-26-2016 11:35 AM

For me that would be a 110g DX leopard. Backhand tommys ftw.

But I realize that most people mean overstable when they refer to utility discs, so I vote FAF FB.

geo_08 02-26-2016 11:36 AM

I have two depending on the range. I have a viper (possibly soon to be replaced by a recon moab) and a sobek (potentially to be replaced by a cryztal),

I use them for essentially the same purpose just at different ranges. They are both discs I can flick, overhead, and skip to get out of the woods or land like a pancake when I go off a cliff and need to get back up it. They both also handle winds pretty well. The only reason I am replacing them is for premium plastics.

If I had to pick one of the two it would be the sobek. I reach for it more than I do the viper.

IllustratorVir 02-26-2016 11:36 AM

Firebird!

jswoods1984 02-26-2016 11:36 AM

I agree with the Flick! I use it for a wide variety of utility shots. Thumbers, forehand rollers, predictable hyzers, skips, you name it. I keep a heavy first run and a 150 Ti in my bag at all times!

jcassidy1990 02-26-2016 11:37 AM

I really like the Resistor for these types of shots.
The super flat top and small rim make it useful both FH and BH.

They also take a long time to pan back when overhanded so you can get really deliberate thumber shots that cut through a small window.

THUGNIFICENT763 02-26-2016 11:44 AM

Opto XXX.

Unless you throw like a limp-wristed choir boy... Then you should probably avoid the Opto XXX.

DiscinFiend 02-26-2016 11:50 AM

Champion Firebirds specifically my Nate Sexton Glow Champion Firebird. Great for thumbers, tomahawks, sidearm rollers, skip shots & much more.

storyboy 02-26-2016 11:52 AM

MVP Relay I use this disc for just about everything.:thmbup:

JRW III 02-26-2016 11:54 AM

Banshee