Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Spider Awareness (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129614)

BrotherDave 12-16-2017 11:07 PM

Spider Awareness
 
Do you bag a Spider? Used to? Know anyone that does? Ever seen someone throw a Spider? Do tell. This thread is an attempt to gauge the number of Spider throwers still in the wild.

Three Putt 12-16-2017 11:12 PM

I have thrown and have seen Spiders thrown, but not since like 2008. :|

Everybody I knew who threw Spiders ended up switching to Cros, which I also haven't seen anybody throw in the last like five-six years.

Jay Dub 12-16-2017 11:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have thrown a CE Spider for years. The stamp is worn off. It's the only disc that I know I can completely rely on to do what I want or expect it to do. I've never tried any other Spider so I have nothing to compare it to as far as how Spiders fly in general. But this one has always been money for me.

BrotherDave 12-16-2017 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3253224)
I have thrown a CE Spider for years. The stamp is worn off. It's the only disc that I know I can completely rely on to do what I want or expect it to do. I've never tried any other Spider so I have nothing to compare it to as far as how Spiders fly in general. But this one has always been money for me.

Holy crap, I just saw that there are CE Spiders listed on the PDGA approved discs list and was like, how many of those people can there be? At least one.

Jay Dub 12-16-2017 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3253227)
Holy crap, I just saw that there are CE Spiders listed on the PDGA approved discs list and was like, how many of those people can there be? At least one.

I have never seen anyone else throw one but a local guy I played golf with a couple years ago talked about losing one and only having two more left as back ups. He throws farther than I do and says they have good distance for being a mid. Mine is like a Roc that has never lost that thing most Roc lovers love about Rocs. Great, straight glide with a reliable fade at the end.

BrotherDave 12-16-2017 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Three Putt (Post 3253223)
I have thrown and have seen Spiders thrown, but not since like 2008. :|

Everybody I knew who threw Spiders ended up switching to Cros, which I also haven't seen anybody throw in the last like five-six years.

Yeah, I remember people throwing Cros. Especially people that like to FH. That was another mid that I thought was okay but never saw the appeal.

hugheshilton 12-17-2017 12:09 AM

I used to throw a star spider when I first started playing. It was even my first ace disc and lives happily retired in my garage. Nice disc for short and straight. Didn't have quite the distance potential of something like a Roc, kind of a tweener between a putter and mid distance wise, but very controllable. Nice disc for a jack of all trades, master of none.

swhite 12-17-2017 05:50 AM

I have never chosen to bag an Innova Spider, because there have always been other midranges that I have preferred. But, I have thrown some Spiders in a ball field on a few occasions when testing midranges that were new to me.

Spiders were available in DX, Champion and Star plastics then; not sure if they are still sold in Champion now. I suppose I liked the Star plastic models best, but felt that the rim on a Spider seemed too shallow/small for my hand. I ended up bagging Star Cros for a couple of years, and then eventually turned to throwing putters (Shield, Harp) for most anything under 270 ft.

From what I remember, I do not think that I would choose to throw Spiders more than 270 ft because they did not seem stable enough to reliably handle the velocity required to get to that distance. If a person wants to use one for shorter distances, and likes the feel of the rim, it will probably be a fine approach disc.

Keller 12-17-2017 05:52 AM

I used to throw a Champion Spider, decent enough disc but nothing special.

A guy I know putts with DX Spiders, he's not to bad either.

I have never seen nor have thrown a Cro though!

pfeif313 12-17-2017 07:23 AM

We use a spider as catch disc on lunch, two coworkers are forehand dominant so spider works out better than the mako i bring out. They fly nice but i have that slot covered in my bag so wouldn't purchase one.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.