Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Discs (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Favourite slow, low glide, overstable approach disc? (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134285)

MaxFlight 06-04-2019 05:36 PM

Favourite slow, low glide, overstable approach disc?

As the title says, Iím looking for opinions on slow discs that just wanna eat dirt.
Current contenders for me:

- K1 Berg
- Rhyno (not sure what plastic)

What about you?

The Albatross 06-04-2019 05:41 PM

Dug the Rhyno for a long time. After I wore the overstability out of my last nice Ontario Champ, I switched to the Z Zone, and it has been much better for me for forehand.

Sydex 06-04-2019 05:48 PM

Shimmer Star Rhyno for me. It probably has a little more glide than a regular Rhyno, like a 2 instead of a 1, but maintains the overstable finish. DX Rhynos are also really nice. they beat into something of a baby Roc.

Silver Rider 06-04-2019 05:52 PM

Envy

tbird888 06-04-2019 06:01 PM

The Birdie. In DX.

racer93 06-04-2019 06:14 PM

Why do you even need one? Just learn to throw your putters well. If the wind is ripping, disc up to the equivalent of a gator. I don't even own an overstable putter/approach disc...

jdm0514 06-04-2019 06:14 PM

I used to throw an envy for my upshots now I've switched to the zone. I have a esp one that is money. I just find excuses to throw it. It's the best forehand putter ever made hands down.

SD86 06-04-2019 06:19 PM

Zone.

Mine is ESP plastic.

Broken Shoulder 06-04-2019 06:22 PM

Zones aren't slow, you weirdos.

tbird888 06-04-2019 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3458296)

Or all that low on glide.

Broken Shoulder 06-04-2019 06:28 PM

OP, you should add the Scale to your list.

Streets 06-04-2019 06:28 PM

Pig probably

ThomasOrion 06-04-2019 06:33 PM

Element Discs IRIDIUM - which is now the AGL- Manzanita --- or the Reptilian Disc Golf SCALE which is a Wizard bottom and a more OS lower glide top. or Reptilian DG SERPENT which is a MAgic bottom more OS low glide top. the two I really prefer are the IRIDIUM/MAZANITA and the SERPENT. If you want OS I'd say find an iridium,manzanita or scale. Straighter but still STABLE the Serpent. the Low glide and comfort on approaches is awesome.

I did a youtube review of the Iridium, its easy to find on youtube. but yeah low speed, low glide, mostly OS disc is REALLY helpful.

SD86 06-04-2019 06:33 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird888 (Post 3458299)

We can debate what constitutes "slow" and whether the Zone fits. But the Zone is definitely low on glide.

Moose33 06-04-2019 06:36 PM

Stego man, there is nothing more overstable or glideless. It’s faster than some you could mention but it’s the best there is at what it does.

Also a big Harp fan, but it’s got some glide in it.

The Albatross 06-04-2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird888 (Post 3458299)

They are, compared to everything else out there. Re-read the language used in the OP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer93 (Post 3458289)
Why do you even need one? Just learn to throw your putters well. If the wind is ripping, disc up to the equivalent of a gator. I don't even own an overstable putter/approach disc...

As someone who throws Wizards into the 300 foot range on the regular, I can say that there is absolutely a use for overstable approach discs.

tbird888 06-04-2019 06:37 PM

Nope. I read the OP just fine. Have you thrown a Berg or a Rhyno? They don't go anywhere your arm can't get them. Zones will carry.

The Albatross 06-04-2019 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tbird888 (Post 3458312)
Nope. I read the OP just fine. Have you thrown a Berg or a Rhyno? They don't go anywhere your arm can't get them. Zones will carry.

Re-read my post as well then. I threw the Rhyno for 8 years. The Z Zone is more overstable and has less glide.

biscoe 06-04-2019 06:54 PM

I used to throw the zone (which was definitely more OS than the rhyno for me), now i use the A3. It is a touch faster than the zone and a bit less OS but still pretty darn dumpy. The A2 is imo a tad faster than the zone as well but more OS- I would use that but find the A3 more comfy. The A1 is so OS I can't figure out anything to do with it.

mostlynorwegian 06-04-2019 06:57 PM

A Pig in r-pro is happy to eat that dirt for you as your overstable disc that behaves like a brick.

BeRReGoN 06-04-2019 06:58 PM

I like my K3 and K2 Berg. I'll have a K1 Glow soon too.

tbird888 06-04-2019 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Albatross (Post 3458315)
Re-read my post as well then. I threw the Rhyno for 8 years. The Z Zone is more overstable and has less glide.

I disagree on the glide but :thmbup:

slowplastic 06-04-2019 07:16 PM

I think the Berg is the best fit for this. Super super slow, low glide, and it's really stable. It isn't as overstable as something like a Zone, in that for how ridiculously HSS it is, the LSS isn't crazy.

The Zone is a great disc but faster for sure, it will do things when it hits the ground in comparison.

I've thrown some champ Rhynos that were so glideless it didn't make sense to me. I have preferred them in star or Gstar, the couple that I have tried in each of those plastics...but it's been a few years so I don't really know my Rhynos well.

But if I think slow, low glide, stable, I think Berg.

mmblink86 06-04-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Rider (Post 3458275)
Envy

the envy is far, far away from being OS with no glide.

a better suggestion from MVP/Axiom would be a powered down motion, but people on DGCR may be offended by the fact i'm suggesting a fast disc when the OP was looking for something slow... (because, you know, no frolfer can ever use the same disc for multiple purposes...)

Putt for D'oh 06-04-2019 07:34 PM

Its funny how much debate on what is better these threads start. its kinda like putting style to me. Try a few and one will connect with you. You know which ones they are.

I thought I would like the zone more. It felt better in my hand, I like the way if flew out of my hand... but I wasn't getting the results I wanted like I was from the Harp.

I don't normally bag all three but find a time and a place for BT Soft, BT Hard and VIP. It might be on the fast side as people say but I don't get a lot of ground play for the shots I make with the BT Soft.

Bergs are getting really popular and I haven't tried one yet... Berg Berg Berg the Berg is the word...

zontar 06-04-2019 07:37 PM

DX Rhyno for me

ilmcgee 06-04-2019 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broken Shoulder (Post 3458302)
OP, you should add the Scale to your list.

This

Blobfish 06-04-2019 08:52 PM

I just ordered a Scale by Reptilian Disc Golf yesterday. I'll let you know how much I like it in a couple days :)

pjhayes7 06-04-2019 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by racer93 (Post 3458289)

Why do you even refer to discs plural? If you are any good you only need one disc total.

Seriously, why when someone asks for a disc suggestion does someone always say to just throw some other disc "correctly?" If the OP wanted advice on how to throw, he would have chosen the form advice forum.

OP, I have recently felt some semi gummy Champ Rhynos. They have a little dome, but otherwise feel great and really considered buying one. I personally throw Star Ontarios and R-Pros for exactly what you describe that you want.

pjhayes7 06-04-2019 09:30 PM

I also find little crossover between the Zone and Rhyno. I mean I could get a Zone to go where the Rhyno does, but it is harder to range. So I just carry both and don't worry about it.

Owensjef 06-04-2019 10:23 PM

DGA Breaker. I'd call it stable. Overstable is a little bit of a stretch

tirepizza 06-04-2019 11:21 PM

Zones and rhynos are so different I am surprised people mention them in the same sentence.

DrBaartman 06-05-2019 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tirepizza (Post 3458429)
Zones and rhynos are so different I am surprised people mention them in the same sentence.

This. I’ve used the Harp (for like 2 years), bagged a Zone for the last 6 months, and just recently I’ve been trying an ontario champ Rhyno. The Rhyno is a different breed than those guys.. the Harp/Zone, to me, are “mini-drivers”.. they don’t ‘glide’ like a normal putter. They fly a lot like my firebird but slower. The Rhyno ‘glides’ like a putter, but not for long before it wants to settle into the ground. I’ve been digging it, I like the lack of glide and speed, it’s OS but won’t dump and skip.
It won’t fly a short tight flex line in the woods like my zone did though, that is the only shot I feel my rhyno won’t do.. It will however hold a nice sturdy anhyzer flick line that Ive been digging. My Zone wouldnt do that.
I’ve decided to stick with the Rhyno because my MD5 will pull off the shots the Rhyno just isnt OS enough to do..

They’re all wonderful to be honest. Frisbees are freaking awesome.

Jolt 06-05-2019 02:17 AM

K2 BERG are nice and quite OS. . i use K1 Glow BERG

If you want something silly OS and slow, HAWG

MaxFlight 06-05-2019 03:23 AM

I’m definitely interested in the Zone, and threw one the other day and loved it. However, I wouldn’t exactly call it a brick. It does get some ground play and isn’t exactly on the slow side for putters. That said, I’m definitely looking to pick one up....

Harp has definitely been on my mind as well. Any favourite plastics?

Berg is really calling me, just trying to decide what plastic to go for.

Emoney 06-05-2019 03:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silver Rider (Post 3458275)
Envy

For gyro. I would say the Entropy is much closer to what the OP is referring to. Its dumpy and slow imo.

Rhyno sounds right on the money.

Zones are fast.

A snail can sleep for 3yrs

Jolt 06-05-2019 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFlight (Post 3458483)
I’m definitely interested in the Zone, and threw one the other day and loved it. However, I wouldn’t exactly call it a brick. It does get some ground play and isn’t exactly on the slow side for putters. That said, I’m definitely looking to pick one up....

Berg is really calling me, just trying to decide what plastic to go for.

I think someting like the faster Zone/Harp complement the BERG just fine

BERG is slower and more "brick like". . K2 plastic is soft and the most OS, K1 is similar but a hair firmer and a hair less OS. . both extreamly durable. . .K3 is quite a different disc, not as big of a dome and not really OS at all

Silver Rider 06-05-2019 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3458487)
For gyro. I would say the Entropy is much closer to what the OP is referring to. Its dumpy and slow imo.

Rhyno sounds right on the money.

Zones are fast.

i guess the envy isnt exactly dumpy, but the envy does fill the role for me that the OP is describing and it works in wind too. Not only does it fill that role but its also useful for other things as well, which leads to me using it very often, which leads to increased consistency with that mold, which leads to..., which... <3

DrBaartman 06-05-2019 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxFlight (Post 3458483)

Iím a fan of baseline harps.. BT Hard and Origio are my favorites. Stiff and grippy. They all fly good though, I used to use a really old VIP that felt great.

DrBaartman 06-05-2019 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emoney (Post 3458487)

For realsies?