Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technique & Strategy (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Twitch of the Hips (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137717)

sidewinder22 10-09-2020 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3641832)
One simply can't have the philosophy of thinking there's no rotation until strong brace and hope to throw well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3641834)
Clearly you are wrong.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3641840)
4a: the most basic beliefs, concepts, and attitudes of an individual or group
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/philosophy

I guess Ricky and Paige can't throw very well.

Ricky Wysocki - "It's not good form BH or FH to twist the hips around. You want more lateral shift. The hip twist is more of a followthru thing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-zQt5H2Dw#t=9m9s

RoDeO 10-09-2020 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sidewinder22 (Post 3641845)
I guess Ricky and Paige can't throw very well.

Ricky Wysocki - "It's not good form BH or FH to twist the hips around. You want more lateral shift. The hip twist is more of a followthru thing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw-zQt5H2Dw#t=9m9s

Yeah, the GIF I just posted of PP, she must have really bad form twisting them hips around before follow through...

NoseDownKing 10-09-2020 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3641847)
Yeah, the GIF I just posted of PP, she must have really bad form twisting them hips around before follow through...

I've taken advice from seabas22 and a bunch of others for a couple years now. I'm throwing 470'. Two years ago I was throwing 330'.

I remember seeing somewhere that Paul McBeth actually had been using seabas22's drills and said they were really good. Oh I wonder if he's good now. Probably not, because he thinks about not rotating before brace like you said is bad thinking.

https://youtu.be/4fQ2qJX1A9g
This guy doesn't twist his hips open super fast like you arr trying to do. They stay sideways after release. Terrible form eh?



Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

twistedraven 10-09-2020 02:51 AM

I agree that shifting the hips as opposed to rotating is more of a philosophy thing when it comes to the backhand drive. Trying to force rotation early leads to all kinds of shanks that travel way right, and opening up too early thus losing power.

Through experience learning the backhand, there are many things I try to emphasize that end up not being true in the actual form. Examples are: Act as if I'm leading with the HEEL of my plant foot, when in reality my plant foot is sideways and closed-- not open. Act as if I'm reaching back AWAY from my body to prevent rounding, when in reality I'm reaching straight back. Shifting/rocking the hips into the brace to keep my line straight and hips closed, when in reality I'm delaying full on rotation until after the plant and the disc has already been secured in the power pocket. Because the front brace leg is offset, there will naturally be some rotation of the hips, but the intent-- the philosophy-- of it is to shift/rock your hips rather than rotate.

RandyC 10-09-2020 03:45 AM

So purpose of the hips is to turn your shoulders or we could say that hips turn your shoulders because they do not have enough range of motion without the hips. So when rear hip rotates we should be able to observe her shoulders turning aswell if the rear leg is weighted. As in if you stand on your rear leg and rotate your rear hip, your shoulders turn correct?

Here is a pretty good view of Paul McBeth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhxEuMgfT4

RoDeO 10-09-2020 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoseDownKing (Post 3641848)
I've taken advice from seabas22 and a bunch of others for a couple years now. I'm throwing 470'. Two years ago I was throwing 330'.

I remember seeing somewhere that Paul McBeth actually had been using seabas22's drills and said they were really good. Oh I wonder if he's good now. Probably not, because he thinks about not rotating before brace like you said is bad thinking.

https://youtu.be/4fQ2qJX1A9g
This guy doesn't twist his hips open super fast like you arr trying to do. They stay sideways after release. Terrible form eh?



Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Angles are everything. Wiggins is throwing on a line offset than the teepad slightly. His rear hip begins to rotate into brace just like everyone else. By the moment of strong brace, his hips have rotated halfway of their total rotation, just like everyone else.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-09-2020/seW1xv.gif

RoDeO 10-09-2020 09:22 AM

The bottom line is that you should feel a loading of the hips coming into strong brace. That loading, whether you are thinking lateral shift or rotation, is the same thing, if done correctly. It means that at the moment of strong brace, your hips should be already rotating and you should feel that load or twist on the hips which continuing is what powers the torso and shoulders into rotation.

RoDeO 10-09-2020 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyC (Post 3641854)
So purpose of the hips is to turn your shoulders or we could say that hips turn your shoulders because they do not have enough range of motion without the hips. So when rear hip rotates we should be able to observe her shoulders turning aswell if the rear leg is weighted. As in if you stand on your rear leg and rotate your rear hip, your shoulders turn correct?

Here is a pretty good view of Paul McBeth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhxEuMgfT4

When done correctly, the rotation of the hips will always lead the rotation of the shoulders. In super slow motion you will see the hips begin to rotate, then the torso, and then lastly the shoulders begin to rotate. If the shoulders rotate first it's a sign of strongarming.

RowingBoats 10-09-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoDeO (Post 3641890)
Angles are everything. Wiggins is throwing on a line offset than the teepad slightly. His rear hip begins to rotate into brace just like everyone else. By the moment of strong brace, his hips have rotated halfway of their total rotation, just like everyone else.

https://i.makeagif.com/media/10-09-2020/seW1xv.gif

This is one of the most clear examples of the move being lateral that I have ever seen. His rear leg is almost literally smashing forward directly. The rotation is incidental to this deliberate movement. The power is absolutely NOT coming from any deliberate, 'wound up' rotation.

RoDeO 10-09-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RowingBoats (Post 3641925)
This is one of the most clear examples of the move being lateral that I have ever seen. His rear leg is almost literally smashing forward directly. The rotation is incidental to this deliberate movement. The power is absolutely NOT coming from any deliberate, 'wound up' rotation.

Go back to the YouTube feed and watch it in the slowest speed, even frame by frame. You can literally see his hips powerfully rotating into his brace and the torso lagging behind and his body twisted around before he unwinds into release.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.