Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

Broken Shoulder 05-14-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3586669)
True.

It's weird now to not have one on. I would feel like I was offending others if I didn't have a mask on.

Exactly.
If I have a mask on I'm effectively telling everyone around me that I have considered their well-being.

Countchunkula 05-14-2020 02:38 PM

Just to offer a little context from the workers' perspective, have any of you worn a mask for 8+ hours straight?

I do it once per week when I need to go into the office and it sucks. You can't breathe quite as easily, which isn't a big deal when wearing the mask for a few minutes at a time, but it adds up over the course of the day. I usually have a headache when I leave for the day and my coworkers report the same along with coughing fits.

Don't take this as support for not wearing masks or not covering the nose. I wear a mask whenever I am near people outside my household and have worn one continuously for 12+ hour days when we are closing the books. I think we all should do the same, but I also understand why you are seeing workers with their noses uncovered. I'm a desk jockey and would imagine that the effects that I'm feeling would be worse for someone who's doing physical activity for their full shift.

robdeforge 05-14-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jugular (Post 3586616)
What's the effectiveness difference? Since you don't shed anywhere near as much virus when breathing through your nose.

Is it 80% as good? 50% as good? If you could get that much improvement I'm still in favour of their use.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

why don't you tell us?

disco40 05-14-2020 02:52 PM

Reflexively shook hands with a pick-up partner. Oops. Played in a group of 4 and we were mostly mindful, but honestly the spread potential was higher than you want. I think the length of time we've been acting antisocial is starting to wear on my sense of preservation.

Mulligan 05-14-2020 02:55 PM

There is an impressively ignorant lack of mask wearing in Columbus Ohio. Like, maybe 5% everywhere that isn't in a store. Had to leave a park because it was swamped with people without masks yesterday. And I wonder why we are being looked at as a possible hot spot...

Broken Shoulder 05-14-2020 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3586702)
Just to offer a little context from the workers' perspective, have any of you worn a mask for 8+ hours straight?

I do it once per week when I need to go into the office and it sucks. You can't breathe quite as easily, which isn't a big deal when wearing the mask for a few minutes at a time, but it adds up over the course of the day. I usually have a headache when I leave for the day and my coworkers report the same along with coughing fits.

Don't take this as support for not wearing masks or not covering the nose. I wear a mask whenever I am near people outside my household and have worn one continuously for 12+ hour days when we are closing the books. I think we all should do the same, but I also understand why you are seeing workers with their noses uncovered. I'm a desk jockey and would imagine that the effects that I'm feeling would be worse for someone who's doing physical activity for their full shift.

I definitely appreciate this.
I'm thinking of this from a retail perspective. The probability of a customer in a store for 15 minutes buying groceries contracting the virus is very small, unless someone coughs into your mouth.
Even if asymptomatic people are exhaling their virus breath in the cereal aisle, you're probably not going to get it.
However, if someone is working in that store for 10 hours, their length of time exposed is so much greater that the risk is magnified. So, if ALL customers wore masks and contained a much higher percentage of the virus behind their masks, worker exposure is then greatly reduced.

Throw it all out the window in a restaurant. If someone sits in there for an hour exhaling their virus breath all over the place, social distancing isn't going to help anything when the air movement is circulating it all over the place.

DavidSauls 05-14-2020 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countchunkula (Post 3586702)

No doubt. It only took me 30 minutes to gain additional respect for those who wear them all day.

Nick Pacific 05-14-2020 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3586638)
I currently avoid all stores, but a grocery store is something we all have to visit.

You can avoid that too by ordering online and doing curbside pickup (well some areas of the US can)

BogeyNoMore 05-14-2020 05:19 PM

Other than my home, the only buildings I've been to since late March have been:

1) 2 different Grocery stores.
2) A mom & pop neighborhood diner I've been going to for years, that I trust and want to support through this. Been carrying out 1-2 meals a week, and tipping as best I can.
3) Gas station... techically outside, but you're operating a pump and possibly touching buttons other's have.

Gloves and masks for all those. I made about eight masks out of old T-shirts, and have been washing those.

Might need to get more gloves soon... I wonder if Harbor Freight has any.

I have not been wearing a mask when I take walks or kayak, or DG. Keep a bottle of rubbing alcohol in my car, in case I feel I need to disinfect my hands for some reason, wherever I may be.

Emoney 05-14-2020 05:32 PM

I went to the local h.e.b. was crazy to wait in a social distancing line of about 50ppl before they let us enter. Plastic partitions up everywhere.

First time i been to the store since this started. Was a crazy thing to see.

I wear a mask as a reminder for ppl. I feel like if i see masks, it reminds me to wash my hands/dont touch face.

I have been minimally impacted by this. I can understand that is rare. Alot of ppl out there are legitimately struggling through this.

Who knows what the next few months will hold but i think we should all still take precautions. The office life that i had seems like it will never return.

Cmon vaccine! Im glad to hear labs/companies are working together. There will be plenty of money to spread around if EVERYONE needs the vaccine.