Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

DiscFifty 03-25-2020 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565673)

Just glad dems have the important issues included in the virus funding bill. I never did get my obamaphone last time, there's renewed hope.

BrotherDave 03-27-2020 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agibson (Post 3565479)
I guess that's what they mean. But, they could have been clearer.

After a paragraph talking about how painful it was to cancel PDGA sanctioned events, etc.

This paragraph could perhaps be understood as reflecting on the canceling of sanctioned events, rather than a *new* call to not play even casual rounds. Without much explanation apart from "help to set a good example for communities everywhere".

With Indiana announcing its version of "lock down" today, I'll have to consider whether or not to play my local course. 2-3 miles up the road. Nearest park where you'd go for a hike. I played my first local round in years about a week ago, with my family, as a measure of social distancing. Had a great time. Only saw a few people the whole time, three conservations, none within six feet.

We'll all have to decide what's "reasonable" for the sort of outdoor exercise that most "lock down" orders seem to allow, I guess.

Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down. NYC's quickly abandoned their strict lock down attempt for the same reason. China's not even bothering to count their deaths after literally welding people into their homes. "Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus. Keeping your distance from others, washing your hands, and disinfecting commonly used surfaces is good. Forcing yourself into solitary confinement is bad.

perklc 03-28-2020 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3567762)
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down.

Correlation != causation

BrotherDave 03-28-2020 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by perklc (Post 3567767)
Correlation != causation

Shouting things at people without evidence isn't scientific either.

Monocacy 03-28-2020 01:11 AM

Mmmkay, how's this for sciencing things up? The reference to "policies" refers to things like closing schools, limiting gatherings, restricting mobility, etc.

Preprint article, usual disclaimers apply (and many disclaimers are included in the article).

Quote:

Because infection rates in the countries we study would have initially followed rapid exponential growth had no policies been applied, our results suggest that these ongoing policies are currently providing large health benefits. For example,we estimate that there would be roughly 621x the current number of infections in South Korea, 36x in Italy, and 153x in Iran if large-scale policies had not been deployed during the early weeks of the pandemic. . . . our empirical analysis of existing policies indicates that seemingly small delays in policy deployment likely produce dramatically different health outcomes.
The Effect of Large-Scale Anti-Contagion Policies on the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Pandemic (Preprint)

Do you believe that handwashing, keeping distance, and disinfecting common surfaces will keep the number of cases that require advanced medical care below capacity? Why do you think that others disagree?

LateWesternSky 03-28-2020 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrotherDave (Post 3567762)
Italy had their worst day yet after being on lock down...

"Stay at home" is not a panacea for fighting this virus.

You realize the difference between when the virus is spread is much different than when cases are confirmed and deaths are recorded, right?

The exponential growth or "doubling" factor has slowed in Italy / Spain / The U.S. This is undoubtedly due to the stay at home measures. The daily amount of confirmed cases is much more flat in Italy / Spain and the increase in deaths can be contributed to the fact that healthcare systems can't keep up.

TLDR: "Stay at home" obviously helps flatten the curve of this virus and you shouldn't use today's confirmed cases/deaths to determine today's spread or exponential growth of the virus.

ohtobediscing 03-28-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3565487)
Lol....I had to go out grocery shopping for us, my Mom and my Father in Law, this afternoon. Lo and behold, I did fall right into the hoarding mentality. I got freaked out and bought three cases of Oberon in cans.....hell, you just know. Ok, I admit it....I panic bought beer. :o

Heh heh---though I know you know that alcohol affects your immune system adversely (granted, mostly when drunk in excessive amounts ). My brother and I just quit cold turkey 3 days ago---my last beer was a Bell's Hopslam DIPA, mmmmmmm.

And a late apology ---I didn't mean tell them "*uck off" literally, but that you do have a right to say "no" to protect your family. Be careful, ru4. :thmbup:

ranger 03-28-2020 12:47 PM

So much bad info in this thread

Streets 03-28-2020 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567886)

You mean aquarium cleaner wonít inoculate me to coronavirus?

BogeyNoMore 03-28-2020 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger (Post 3567886)

Why would this thread be different from most other threads (or conversations in real life for that matter)? Everyone has their opinions. Pretty common for quite a few of them to be at least misleading, if not completely baseless.