Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

roggenb3 10-15-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3644360)
I'm very interested in your reply. What exactly do you think we could have done that would have stopped 200k+ covid related deaths? To me the answer is, close the borders early on for an extended time + a nationwide lock down for an extended time. But does that stop it or just delay it?

It's seriously as simple as everyone wearing masks, social distancing, and doing what they can. That's it. Lockdowns are only needed to buy time to ramp up testing and contact tracing abilities.

If we all would have done that the whole time (and if the US would have actually ramped up testing and contact tracing), we'd be right in line with all the other developed countries in the world.

This is not rocket science, but it is science. But it should be science that everyone is able to grasp: disease spreads through close contact via the air, therefore do X, Y, Z, to limit the spread.

Instead we have 100 million+ people who STILL deny that it's even a serious issue. It's mind bottling (that's my own Ricky-ism). I am a pessimist by nature and even I did not think we could fail this badly. I underestimated the rampant stupidity here.

DiscFifty 10-15-2020 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3644361)
Hindsight, hypothetical discussion are not really my thing.

Fair enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3644362)
It's seriously as simple as everyone wearing masks, social distancing, and doing what they can. That's it. Lockdowns are only needed to buy time to ramp up testing and contact tracing abilities.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there have been 2 substantial super spreaders that could have affected where we are right now. The spring break crowds, the protests. Each resulted in 1000s of people travelling around the country, congregating, and then traveling back home. In effect seeding the virus in each of their home towns. The campaign rallies were also obvious potential spreaders, but I question how much of that seeded the virus outside of the hosting city. Thoughts?

Jay Dub 10-15-2020 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3644366)
Fair enough.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there have been 2 substantial super spreaders that could have affected where we are right now. The spring break crowds, the protests. Each resulted in 1000s of people travelling around the country, congregating, and then traveling back home. In effect seeding the virus in each of their home towns. The campaign rallies were also obvious potential spreaders, but I question how much of that seeded the virus outside of the hosting city. Thoughts?

...I know there is no source for that except your political beliefs.
"Protests spread virus.
Campaign rallies? I doubt they did". seems to be your view for obvious reasons.

roggenb3 10-15-2020 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3644366)
Thoughts?

Yeah, the post you quoted are my thoughts. If we weren't all so stupid, we'd be just like the rest of the world and have this thing sorta, kinda under control while we await a vaccine.

Instead, here we are, with rampant community spread, a greatly disproportionate number of cases and deaths, and a population that likely won't take the vaccine anyway.

This is still the beginning, as crazy as that sounds. I don't doubt that 5 years from now covid-19 will be just a bad memory everywhere except here, where it will just be a normal part of life.

DiscFifty 10-15-2020 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3644368)
...I know there is no source for that except your political beliefs.
"Protests spread virus.
Campaign rallies? I doubt they did". seems to be your view for obvious reasons.

To each their own, I am 100% convinced campaign rallies were also super spreaders. I don't need data to back that up. I'm just gonna go with common sense on that one. :doh:

Jay Dub 10-15-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3644372)
To each their own, I am 100% convinced campaign rallies were also super spreaders. I don't need data to back that up. I'm just gonna go with common sense on that one. :doh:

Protesters had masks on and the people at the Rep rallies did not, so much for your common sense.

DiscFifty 10-15-2020 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3644371)
Yeah, the post you quoted are my thoughts.

"Thoughts?" as in...what do you think of my reply? ;)

roggenb3 10-15-2020 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiscFifty (Post 3644375)
"Thoughts?" as in...what do you think of my reply? ;)

That the negative effects of protests, spring break, and campaign rallies combined is nowhere near the negative effects of the overall malaise and stupidity of this country.

DiscFifty 10-15-2020 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3644374)
Protesters had masks on and the people at the Rep rallies did not, so much for your common sense.

uh boy....you may want to consider slowing down a bit on those impulsive posts of yours. You may...want...to...re-read a few replies, just to make sure you're understanding everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3644368)
"Protests spread virus. Campaign rallies? I doubt they did". seems to be your view for obvious reasons.

lol.. nice fabricated quote btw. jeesh...

DiscFifty 10-15-2020 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roggenb3 (Post 3644378)
That the negative effects of protests, spring break, and campaign rallies combined is nowhere near the negative effects of the overall malaise and stupidity of this country.

So you're not a fan of the super spreader theories then? I've read articles in the past where 1 person alone could affect 100s.