Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

DavidSauls 12-01-2020 10:49 PM

There aren't any trials near me. If I read it right, yours is the only one right now.

Great opportunity to help out, and get ahead of the line, at the same time.

ru4por 12-01-2020 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3663855)
Have you heard back from the trial? I thought the Phase 1/2 trials for Moderna and BioNTech were already completed.

Unless they are testing a new and improved version of the vaccines that are currently in Phase 3 trials.

I think I read that they wanted to test a lower dose vaccine. Indications were that it was nearly as effective as the higher dose just tested. I will look for where I read it.

On a quick side note, a life long family friend of my parents (and obviously mine) just went into the hospital. Early 80's and a COVID scoffer. Occasionally donning a mask, but thinking nothing of going to church, visiting with family and friends. His wife is obviously devastated, too late, but devastated. I am heart broken. It quickly drives home the reality. I have turned up the heat on my mom, trying to be supportive, but leveraging it to help with the next few months. COVID sucks.

Hampstead 12-01-2020 11:22 PM

Anyone who thinks death is the only metric worth measuring clearly hasn't been paying attention.

dehaas 12-02-2020 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txmxer (Post 3663852)
Even for those that get COVID, 85% are minimal effect.

Unfortunate that so many only care if the worst case happens to them.

Hold up a minute, just because a lot of people are asymptomatic now doesn’t mean there won’t be long term implications.

Remember we’re talking about a virus, so something that doesn’t leave your system. I think we’d all like to think we’re in the clear once the initial recovery has happened, but the truth is nobody knows and right now the focus is on the short term, not the long term. If it does most of its damage in the heart, brain, and lungs that can’t be good in the long run for most people...even if you’re currently in good health.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html

txmxer 12-02-2020 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dehaas (Post 3663899)
Hold up a minute, just because a lot of people are asymptomatic now doesn’t mean there won’t be long term implications.

Remember we’re talking about a virus, so something that doesn’t leave your system. I think we’d all like to think we’re in the clear once the initial recovery has happened, but the truth is nobody knows and right now the focus is on the short term, not the long term. If it does most of its damage in the heart, brain, and lungs that can’t be good in the long run for most people...even if you’re currently in good health.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...m-effects.html

Sorry, not what I intended. I'm talking about the deniers that suggest this is the common cold or less. They get it and don't suffer significant or obvious issues, they use that as prima facie evidence that it is not serious.

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 07:44 AM

I remember hearing stories of soldiers in Vietnam, saying the worst days were at the end of their tour of duty, as they feared dying before they could go home. Now that the vaccine is a near-certainty -- and I'm at the bottom of the priority list -- I'm starting to feel the same way. The touch of fatalism (do your best to be safe, but you can't protect from everything) replaced by a touch of fear of irony ("he almost made it to the finish line").

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 08:24 AM

I was involved in a heated discussion last night in my small group of 9 on FB. Up to this point I thought they ALL were sensible people. Now the lady in that group who is most easily influenced has an aluminum foil wearing conspiracy theory husband who is getting to her.

Now she, and a couple others who are way left (sorry for the politics) is now worried about the vaccine.

NOW you don't want to believe science? :thmbdown:

DavidSauls 12-02-2020 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Dub (Post 3663930)
I was involved in a heated discussion last night in my small group of 9 on FB. Up to this point I thought they ALL were sensible people. Now the lady in that group who is most easily influenced has an aluminum foil wearing conspiracy theory husband who is getting to her.

Now she, and a couple others who are way left (sorry for the politics) is now worried about the vaccine.

NOW you don't want to believe science? :thmbdown:

The flip side of that coin is the science deniers, particularly those of a partisan persuasion, touting the vaccine as a great accomplishment after dismissing the facts about the virus itself.

Discraft Dad 12-02-2020 09:22 AM

I find some people think that people are dismissing the facts about COVID by simply not living in fear of it.

Jay Dub 12-02-2020 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discraft Dad (Post 3663950)
I find some people think that people are dismissing the facts about COVID by simply not living in fear of it.

Describe what this means, please.