Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

ru4por 04-16-2020 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclay (Post 3576156)
Here is the photo. Thanks for the assist.

Saw pics of a few of these around here. Now I call them predecessor signs, for they preceded the need for parks to pull baskets. :(

At this point, we can only hope they go back in.

BogeyNoMore 04-16-2020 05:23 PM

Yeah, the number of deaths due to covid will be high enough as it is. I hope we don't have to add any courses to that list.

Bigtex 04-16-2020 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aclay (Post 3576156)
Here is the photo. Thanks for the assist.

Heritage Park is one of the few remaining courses open in DFW. The sign is a nice warning but I'd bet that there are multiple groups playing Heritage and not practicing social distancing any given day of the week. :thmbdown: The baskets should be pulled for the time being.

JuanA 04-17-2020 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broomerang (Post 3576133)
I just want to get back to a place where I'm not wiping off groceries with bleach when I get home...

Our grocery store has "Senior Only" hours between 6-8am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

They also have a "One in, one out" policy to keep the store from being crowded. You have to wait in line to get in.

I appreciate their efforts but when you do get in, 9 out of 10 employees aren't wearing masks or some sort of face covering. What's the point of all the shoppers wearing masks when the guy behind the meat counter isn't, or the lady putting out the fresh baked goods isn't? Not to mention the shelf stockers who don't, and travel from store to store to stock shelves?

I like your bleach idea. I may start doing that too.

Jay Dub 04-17-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuanA (Post 3576414)
Our grocery store has "Senior Only" hours between 6-8am every Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

They also have a "One in, one out" policy to keep the store from being crowded. You have to wait in line to get in.

I appreciate their efforts but when you do get in, 9 out of 10 employees aren't wearing masks or some sort of face covering. What's the point of all the shoppers wearing masks when the guy behind the meat counter isn't, or the lady putting out the fresh baked goods isn't? Not to mention the shelf stockers who don't, and travel from store to store to stock shelves?

I like your bleach idea. I may start doing that too.

I also noticed the no masks on employees and wondered about that. :confused:

My store has those hours also, I haven't gone at that time but did go a few days ago and the cashiers were standing out in front of their lanes to let people know their was no waiting. I had never seen that store with so few customers.

broomerang 04-17-2020 12:57 PM

I figure if people can’t even avoid walking up and standing right next to me than I can’t trust anyone not to sneeze all over the box of cereal.

This whole thing could make me a germaphobe. Some people are just disgusting and although I’ve always known that in the back of my mind, I hadn’t started thinking about what they are touching that I am then eating until this ordeal.

Also I thought 6-8am was always senior hour in the grocery store? I don’t think I’ve ever been out shopping for food that early. I’d be lucky to be fully dressed by 6am.

DG_player 04-17-2020 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ru4por (Post 3573397)
It will be interesting to see the long term results of infection rate, spread numbers and death rates. I am seeing FAR more young people get sick and die of COVID, than I have any flu, but that is only anecdotal info from my observations at the hospital.

There was just a recent paper that estimated US coronavirus infection rates through march based on the influence reporting system. The gist of it is that there was a surge of non-influenza positive influenza like illness cases that corresponds with confirmed case detection. The conclusion was that only 1% of total cases were confirmed and that there was something like 28 million cases in the US by the end of march. Assuming this is remotely accurate, the actual mortality rate would be much lower than a lot of prior estimates.

It actually got me wondering on a personal anecdotal level. Before the whole panic began I had a severe respiratory illness that lasted 3-4 weeks, that included all of the usual symptoms of Covid, as well as severe dizziness for a couple weeks. It actually was so bad, I went to the ER thinking I had a heart attack based on the dizziness and severe pain in my chest (which was later determined to be from straining my connective rib tissue coughing). Both my 1 and 3 year old got sick as well. The 3 year old had a brief fever and very mild cold like systems otherwise. My one year old faired worse. I eventually took him to the ER one night because his breathing became so labored at one point. They flu swabbed him and it came back negative. Interestingly, the attending doctor commented that she had had a lot of flu like cases that day, and was very surprised because they had all tested negative for the flu.

R-Ogre 04-17-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3576581)
There was just a recent paper that estimated US coronavirus infection rates through march based on the influence reporting system. The gist of it is that there was a surge of non-influenza positive influenza like illness cases that corresponds with confirmed case detection. The conclusion was that only 1% of total cases were confirmed and that there was something like 28 million cases in the US by the end of march. Assuming this is remotely accurate, the actual mortality rate would be much lower than a lot of prior estimates.

It actually got me wondering on a personal anecdotal level. Before the whole panic began I had a severe respiratory illness that lasted 3-4 weeks, that included all of the usual symptoms of Covid, as well as severe dizziness for a couple weeks. It actually was so bad, I went to the ER thinking I had a heart attack based on the dizziness and severe pain in my chest (which was later determined to be from straining my connective rib tissue coughing). Both my 1 and 3 year old got sick as well. The 3 year old had a brief fever and very mild cold like systems otherwise. My one year old faired worse. I eventually took him to the ER one night because his breathing became so labored at one point. They flu swabbed him and it came back negative. Interestingly, the attending doctor commented that she had had a lot of flu like cases that day, and was very surprised because they had all tested negative for the flu.

It would be nice if this is true, BUT the pattern for a COVID outbreak is pretty consistent and if you have one in your area you tend to notice. The whole ďhospitals overwhelmed with people in respiratory failureĒ thing.

discerdoo 04-17-2020 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by broomerang (Post 3576503)
I figure if people canít even avoid walking up and standing right next to me than I canít trust anyone not to sneeze all over the box of cereal.

This whole thing could make me a germaphobe. Some people are just disgusting and although Iíve always known that in the back of my mind, I hadnít started thinking about what they are touching that I am then eating until this ordeal.

Also I thought 6-8am was always senior hour in the grocery store? I donít think Iíve ever been out shopping for food that early. Iíd be lucky to be fully dressed by 6am.

It's definitely pushed me towards the germaphobe camp.

zontar 04-17-2020 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by discerdoo (Post 3576646)
It's definitely pushed me towards the germaphobe camp.

honestly, I was never an excessive hand washer before, outside of work (i work with kids). I've changed that for good, I believe.....