Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

wolfmandragon 03-22-2020 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3565016)
Flattening the curve works. People are too dumb, stubborn, careless, and unbelieving to do it on their own, though.

Forcing the curve to flatten is going to destroy us.

Flattening the curve makes sense from a standpoint as to the number of beds available but it may lead to a worse impact supply chains as well as a possibility of pushing the disease into the next season. At this point we simply don't know.

I worry more about a long curve that lasts until the southern hemispheres winter months. If we take the hit now and let the virus burn itself out, then it may not spread to the southern hemisphere. If it gets a toehold in the southern hemisphere, then there is a good chance this becomes seasonal like the flu.

Hampstead 03-22-2020 07:38 PM

Local course is a multi use park. Way more people there today than I've seen in awhile. Didn't appear to be much social distancing. Each hole had large groups hanging out close together. Our group was vigilant about keeping distance. And you don't touch another man's disc!

Halcón 03-22-2020 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hampstead (Post 3565102)
Didn't appear to be much social distancing. Each hole had large groups hanging out close together.

:|

This bears repeating:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halcón (Post 3565049)
Simple gif showing how we can make a difference.

https://twitter.com/toby_etc/status/1241428108114190337

You could add, "This person didn't play disc golf in a big group."

BogeyNoMore 03-22-2020 08:20 PM

That gif really hits home.

ThrowBot 03-22-2020 08:24 PM

If you're smart about it, frolf can be a pretty low-risk activity. I played a fun round this morning with 2 friends. Course is 5 blocks from my house. No high fives, no standing close together, nobody came within 30' of another park user. It was also ~35°F and a fresh dusting of snow had just melted off, so I felt there was a very low chance of latent infection in the park.

One friend is a healthcare worker at a retirement community; she's very smart about avoiding transmission of disease. Other friend is a dummy. He offered us swigs out of a whiskey bottle. We heckled him good for that. I think he got the picture.

At one point we were playing this safari hole, maybe 550' or so, and dummy friend deuced it with a >200' throw in. Hyzers around a tree, clears the creek, skips of the asphalt path, $ma$hes chain$.

There weren't many other people in the park, but I guarantee you that they all heard the 3 of us yelling when that went down. It was a really great moment where I forgot about how weird the past weeks have been, didn't worry about the vast uncertainties of the future, and just enjoyed seeing an awesome throw-in with my friends.

But we were all standing 30' apart in a field. I told my dummy friend that NORMALLY I'd high-five his hand until it was bruised. He understood.

thrembo 03-22-2020 08:25 PM

Full disclosure. Today was my first 18 after a car accident back before last Thanksgiving. I have been in therapy and recovery mode and just recently got greenlighted by my doctors to start throwing again and rejoin society again. I have been sheltering in place for the last 4 months or so. At least I got one round in with my crew if this thing gets worse. I don't necessarily mind solo rounds, but was in need of some socializing.

thrembo 03-22-2020 08:31 PM

https://i.imgflip.com/3svyl9.jpg

SD86 03-22-2020 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twmccoy (Post 3565051)
Some people are acting like its ebola going around. I'd almost guarantee everyone on this board has been sick with something in the last year as bad or worse than coronavirus. This disease isn't remarkably lethal, it just seems to spread easily. Any young/fit person isn't going to be ridiculously worried about becoming infected. They'll be sick for a few days and then be fine.

I fully agree no one should be out willingly trying to spread germs, but sitting on your hands for two months in a bubble isn't really going to solve anything either.

Is attempting to slow the spread of coronavirus worth tanking the economy?

CV has killed people, so we gotta respect the virus. Reasonable precautions are wise.

Having said that, I predict people are going to start having the same sentiments in the near future that you're expressing. What good is trying to not catch CV when you don't have money to buy food, much less any place to get food, much less be told to stay in your home so that you can't travel to get food?

BogeyNoMore 03-22-2020 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrembo (Post 3565111)
Full disclosure. Today was my first 18 after a car accident back before last Thanksgiving. I have been in therapy and recovery mode and just recently got greenlighted by my doctors to start throwing again and rejoin society again. I have been sheltering in place for the last 4 months or so. At least I got one round in with my crew if this thing gets worse. I don't necessarily mind solo rounds, but was in need of some socializing.

Glad healed up enough for some activity. It had to feel good to play for the first time in months.

Hope you guys didn't hug and kiss! :p

thrembo 03-22-2020 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore (Post 3565115)
Glad healed up enough for some activity. It had to feel good to play for the first time in months.

Hope you guys didn't hug and kiss! :p

Thanks. No hugging or kissing but we did experiment with the no contact high fives and no contact fist bumps. It felt great and I did surprisingly ok. I had plenty of time to watch form videos and after 45 years finally decided to really get a distance throw and surprised myself how much further I could throw with better technique.