Disc Golf Course Review

Disc Golf Course Review (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Disc Golf Chat (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Are we not taking Covid-19 seriously (https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136199)

teemkey 05-07-2020 01:43 AM

I suppose we'll soon see books & movies revolving around whether an intentional infection is murder. Maybe to claim an inheritance a few years earlier, or some other motive ...

Noill 05-07-2020 02:18 AM

yay! Another wrinkle in the awful that is human. Can't wait for the based on reality drama.

Emoney 05-07-2020 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teemkey (Post 3583498)
I suppose we'll soon see books & movies revolving around whether an intentional infection is murder. Maybe to claim an inheritance a few years earlier, or some other motive ...

I was thinking this same thing when i heard about covid parties.

Lets say you purposely got exposed to the virus, then unintentionally gave it to someone and it hospitalized or killed them.

You could say , well the common cold and flu get passed around...no biggie.

BUT i think timing is the issue. We still dont know what this is and im seeing things on the news about kids being hospitalized now......

There is so much we dont know yet about this...its so new.

I think you can be jailed for knowingly having hiv/aids and infecting someone else. I wonder how this would translate?

One thing is for sure....we have just started this saga

JoshuaWayneHester 05-07-2020 02:33 AM

Disc golf uses shared equipment, therefore I have not played in several months due to the COVID-19. I have had members of my club agree with our "Stay at Home" choice for the club events. However a few members have become outright annoyed, stating that we are acting silly. I have informed them that in South Carolina, they have other options, considering most local clubs seem to have played more. I am 35 years old and have a very weak immune system, I was 24 years old when I found out I have Diverticulitus. Over the course of 11 years I have been given more antibiotics than any human should consume in a life time. Because of this, I personally have to avoid any un-needed risk. With that said, I understand not everybody has the same feelings as me to stay home. However, everyday I logged into this website, the "recent reviews" on here just keeps growing strong. Just new review after new review like there is no care in the world. Kinda reminds me of that old parental saying... "if you tell the child NO, they will just want it more!

Nick Pacific 05-07-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3582932)
This is an interesting question so I did a dive. Most of the articles concluded that natural origin is most likely; a few stated that a laboratory construct could not be conclusively ruled out.

Thanks for an interesting few hours of reading research studies. :D

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security, Master Question List, 28 April 2020 (clicky) does an excellent job of summarizing current research findings:

[I][INDENT]All current evidence supports the natural emergence of SARS-CoV-2 via a bat and possible intermediate mammal species. . . .

Thanks for the synopsis. What do you make of this? I time stamped it for you. Just hit play.

robdeforge 05-07-2020 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DG_player (Post 3583402)
It's not a horrible idea if you're in the 20-30 something demographic and responsible about it (I.E. quarantining yourself for 2 weeks after the party). You become one less potential asymptomatic transmission vector.

I'm at the far end of your suggestion. You seem to be focused on the positives. how will having, and presumably recovering from, covid-19 affect my longterm health in negative ways?

Monocacy 05-07-2020 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3583541)
Thanks for the synopsis. What do you make of this? I time stamped it for you. Just hit play.

Video started at time zero. Can you tell me what time to start, and I'll give that part a look?

Thanks!

Nick Pacific 05-07-2020 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monocacy (Post 3583568)
Video started at time zero. Can you tell me what time to start, and I'll give that part a look?

Thanks!

Damn. First time embedding a time stamp and off the front cage I go.

23:08

JuanA 05-07-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoshuaWayneHester (Post 3583512)
...However, everyday I logged into this website, the "recent reviews" on here just keeps growing strong. Just new review after new review like there is no care in the world...

I've posted 2 reviews since this started because I'm bored at work thinking about my favorite courses that I can't play right now.

:)

Monocacy 05-07-2020 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick Pacific (Post 3583570)
Damn. First time embedding a time stamp and off the front cage I go.

23:08

Thank you. A lot of that stuff is well outside my realm of knowledge, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt. SARS-CoV-2 is new to science and we are learning about it remarkably fast, so I am certainly keeping an open mind to new discoveries.

I do not know enough about the genomic rate of change graphs to have an opinion, sorry.

I do know that we are remarkably ignorant about the diversity of microorganisms in nature, and even in our own bodies. There is way more out there that we do not know compared with what we do know.

So I wonder whether the RaTG-13 is the closest comparable to SARS-CoV-2, or just the closest that we happen to know about?

I also wonder whether the video is fully accounting for the remarkable evolving power of microorganisms with short life cycles. Germs make changes in weeks that would take humans thousands of years. And germs have mechanisms to share genes that humans largely lack, limited to sexual reproduction as we are.

Some microorganisms change rapidly and significantly when they pass through a different species. Presumably different selective pressures cause these changes. I did not hear a discussion about that possibility, which seems like a missing piece.

The DHS document linked earlier referred to a novel bat coronavirus (RmYN02) "identified in China with an insertion in the viral furin cleavage site. While distinct from the insertion in SARS-CoV-2, this evidence shows that such insertions can occur naturally".

To sum up, I do not have the knowledge to affirm or deny what the gentleman is saying. For now, I lean towards the consensus explanation for SARS-CoV-2's emergency while keeping an open mind.

But however SARS-CoV-2 came about, we still have the same tools to combat its spread until a vaccine or effective treatments are developed.

Sorry I couldn't be more help, and thanks for the brain exercise.